Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Out of State Inventory Pickup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

A55!

May 19, 2021
DFW
I live in Texas. I’ve seen several cars in inventory that I’d be willing to purchase.

Several in Boston.

I have no way to get a straight answer on whether or not I can go fly/airline to pick up a vehicle out of state to avoid delivery charges.

I’ve been told no by the pop up chat agents. That being in Texas I cannot purchase a vehicle in Massachusetts. I can’t get ahold of anyone at Tesla for an answer let alone an answer before the vehicle I’m looking at is no longer available.

I’ve even been told I’d have to pay tax in Massachusetts and Texas.

To me this is all becoming a hilariously painful attempt to buy a car.

Does anyone have any suggestions on getting a straight answer for this out or state pickup with Tesla for an inventory vehicle? Also, how to get in touch with someone to change my MY order to purchase an inventory vehicle quickly so I don’t miss out.

I tried buying an inventory Model X (new) through Tesla from Massachusetts. Didnt want to pay the transport fee. Initially they agreed and after I submitted the deposit, Sales guy from Tesla Massachusetts called and informed me that I have to be a resident of Mass to buy a car in Mass. Eventually they shipped the car to Devon, PA, my home state for me to buy. I had to pay the shipping costs!
Hope this helps

I live in Texas. I’ve seen several cars in inventory that I’d be willing to purchase.

Several in Boston.

I have no way to get a straight answer on whether or not I can go fly/airline to pick up a vehicle out of state to avoid delivery charges.

I’ve been told no by the pop up chat agents. That being in Texas I cannot purchase a vehicle in Massachusetts. I can’t get ahold of anyone at Tesla for an answer let alone an answer before the vehicle I’m looking at is no longer available.

Does anyone have any suggestions on getting a straight answer for this out or state pickup with Tesla for an inventory vehicle? Also, how to get in touch with someone to change my MY order to purchase an inventory vehicle quickly so I don’t miss out.
To the best of my knowledge, buying cars in MA and CA requires you to pay taxes in that state, in addition to your home state (TX) at time of registration. Some states will waive taxes if paid in another state, but you'll have to look that up to see if that rule applies in TX.

Buying a car in any other state does not require you to pay taxes in that state, just your home state at time of registration. But I'd call and make sure, just in case. If Tesla doesn't answer promptly, just call any old legacy car dealer in that state and ask.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ormond
Why not buying from Montana to avoid sales taxes, will cost about $300?

Passenger Cars, Light Weight Trucks*, SUV’s Base Registration Fees​
New to four years old $290.73.​
Five to nine years old $156.83.​
Ten years old or older $ 92.97​
Eleven years or older $157.35.​
I'm from Montana --- Had to buy in Utah. They would ship door to door for an additional $700 transport fee on top of the mandatory $1200 delivery charge. The car I ended up getting was shipped from Denver to Salt Lake City at no additional charge. We caught an early morning flight to SLC - took Uber to dealership - got there 15 min before they opened at 10am - left with the car at 11am - drove directly to a detail shop to have PPF applied to the back doors. Pretty well cut and dried. I signed a waiver that exempted me from paying over $4000 Utah sales tax. BTW the web site quoted above is not exactly accurate. Some Montana counties charge 2 1/2% tax on the value of the car and others charge 2% per year for the first 4 years, depending on when the county applied for the increase and if they made the deadline. Plate fees are separate along with personal plate fees. Registration fees and new title fees are also additional charges. Plus a few other hidden fees. If you were to purchase a car that was actually on a Montana dealerships lot - you wouldn't have to pay any sales tax - however - once you registered it in your own state you'd then be charged taxes accordingly. Titles are sent directly to the county you reside in - whether you live in state or not. Not sure of any loopholes ...

Last edited:
To the best of my knowledge, buying cars in MA and CA requires you to pay taxes in that state, in addition to your home state (TX) at time of registration.
Actually, you don't have to pay California Sales Tax, if you "take delivery" out of state. That means, use a 3rd party shipping service to ship the car out of California, or put it on a flat-bed tow-truck, and have it towed to the state line, and take delivery on the other side... I've bought cars in multiple states, and California was the only one that you have to jump thru all these hoops...

Buying a car in any other state does not require you to pay taxes in that state, just your home state at time of registration. But I'd call and make sure, just in case. If Tesla doesn't answer promptly, just call any old legacy car dealer in that state and ask.
When I bought a car in Kansas, I had to file an exemption with the Department of Revenue to avoid paying Sales Tax, along with a trip permit showing the car was being taken out of state. But the dealership I bought from took care of all that paperwork for me.

Yesterday I purchased and M3 from the Brentwood TN showrooms existing inventory. I paid in full with cash and setup (and paid) a +200 mile third party delivery.

Tesla has not yet given me specifics on when I’ll receive the car. Anyone have a probable timeline based on your experience?

Several in Boston.

Also Close to home for me as well 9/20/2021 today’s date. Little late to your question but I live in Denver went to the Littleton Colorado Tesla dealership as my 2021 Tesla S plaid just arrived paying cash for it using a Montana LLC they saw the tattoos on my arms in my legs and said that they think that this is a shell corporation and I’m trying to skip out on taxes as well as it’s a distribution center which they don’t sell to distribution centers. It’s my best friends house who’s going to be my partner in our online transporting company. Putting Transoorter ans the own companies in direct contact with the consumer. The money was wired to them this morning they excepted my paperwork over the weekend I was walking in today to pick up the car when they scoped me out up-and-down and turned me down after collecting all this and plating in the car. Says it Has to be registered in the same state of Colorado where I pick up the car from. So I’m assuming it’s the same way with you. If you’re buying the car in Massachusetts you cannot go down and pick it up they would have to ship it to your state for the taxes to work. You cannot pick it up in person if you’re registering in a different state yes you would have to pay taxes in both states so!

Old thread but I thought I'd share my experience. Been trying to do an out of state pickup and turn the drive home into a trip. But Tesla says they can't do it because of sales taxes and registration issues. I know dealers are happy to do that often and my state doesn't have sales tax so that's not a concern. Dumb thing is now I'm looking at buying a Tesla from a non Tesla dealer so it's looking like more of a hassle for me and a lost sale for Tesla. I know they used to do it, I'm not sure why the policy change.

Old thread but I thought I'd share my experience. Been trying to do an out of state pickup and turn the drive home into a trip. But Tesla says they can't do it because of sales taxes and registration issues. I know dealers are happy to do that often and my state doesn't have sales tax so that's not a concern. Dumb thing is now I'm looking at buying a Tesla from a non Tesla dealer so it's looking like more of a hassle for me and a lost sale for Tesla. I know they used to do it, I'm not sure why the policy change.
I had no problem with my pick up in Salt Lake City. They somehow got around the sales tax thing when I told them I lived in Montana, and would license it there.

Reactions: tander