TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Out-of-state transactions

Discussion in 'Tesla for Sale' started by Wonderious, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Wonderious

Wonderious Member

I am purchasing a vehicle from across the country. I have already chosen a shipper but we are unsure how to handle the actual transaction. If anyone has done this before can you please tell me how you went about it? Did you use an escrow service?

Thanks in advance! Excited to get my P85DL+

• Like x 1
  2. KCapital

KCapital Member

Use eBay. It will cost seller some $150 bucks in the listing fees (at the completion of the sale), whereas as a buyer your purchase will be protected (up to $100K) under there Vehicle Purchase Protection for the buyer.

Escrows don't offer the protection VPP offer and it is much cheaper. Escrow usually charge some 0.5-1% of the transaction as fees.

3. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Is this a private party purchase or dealership ? ...depending on where u take delivery you may be responsible for sales tax ...at least that’s how it is in California ...i bought a private party car in GA once and had shipped using exactly what is described above we did thru eBay

4. Wonderious

Wonderious Member

Taking delivery in Delaware so I should be good for avoiding the CA taxes, right? eBay sounds like a great option. Thank you for the info.

5. JPUConn

JPUConn Active Member

Is their a lien? Paying the full sales price to the leinholder has worked for me in the past.

6. Wonderious

Wonderious Member

No lien. He has the title.

7. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Yep u are good if taking delivery in DE

8. FJH42

FJH42 Member

I would like to piggyback this question about out of state transactions.

What is the best way for the buyer to feel comfortable that he’s getting what he purchased? Meaning a user vehicle that’s not damaged or has dents and dings that were not previously disclosed. I’m having a tough time pulling the trigger on my first used car vs buying a new model S. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

9. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Sounds like OP did a detailed FaceTime inspection ..another person who posted on other thread ..flew out across country did inspection ..than arranged to ship back ...it all comes to comfort level with seller if you plan on not doing a physical inspection ..logistics of sale can be done easily using eBay etc ..

10. GSSREDDY

GSSREDDY Member

Did you pay GA taxes at delivery? Later If it is registered in CA, should we pay CA Taxes (difference)?

11. tylerdurden

tylerdurden Member

Get a visual inspection ( cost you money , but upto you)
    Use escrow
    Use a bill of sale / contract.
    PM i used an escrow service and you can deal with them direct.
    NO CASHIERS CHECK OR CERTIFIED CHECK.
    When you get the vehicle AND are satisfied THEN release escrow payment to seller.

• Like x 1
  12. bandpzt

bandpzt New Member

Interesting. How does this work? Do you (the buyer) pay off the seller's loan to the lien holder directly? And then the title is released by the lien holder to the seller (I assume that takes a few days)?
    Curious to understand how the buyer is protected? because ultimately it still comes down to the seller signing over the title to the buyer a few days after the buyer transfers the $ to the lien holder?

13. azsmartbet

azsmartbet Member

You can fly out. Meet at his bank use cashiers check or wire. Use chespoair.com

If you don't want to fly all the way out the only other way is find some kind of verification on identity like work or bank or something to confirm who he is.

Is the car owned or is there a lien?

14. RodgerDodger

RodgerDodger Member

15. JPUConn

JPUConn Active Member

Correct. Still have to be honest with each side.

A purchase agreement is signed for both sides.
    Buyer sends full purchase price to sellers leinholder (not just payoff amount).
    Vehicle is released to buyer upon confirmation of funds clearing.
    Title is released to seller who signs and sends to buyer.

In this case, the buyer is still putting trust in the seller to sign/send the title but the buyer has possession of the vehicle and a bill of sale/ purchase contract to stand behind. Additionally the records showing full payment by seller leinholder by the buyer should support any dispute.

16. Fobble

Fobble Member

This is exactly why I don't have the gut to buy used cars with loan from a private party, I'd rather pays a few thousand more to dealer or CPO than potentially losing out $60k to a scammer. Ebay may lower the risk to some extend, but never tried buying a car thru there.

17. RodgerDodger

RodgerDodger Member

My S75, as noted above on eBay auction, is through a reputable company and you have my word that it is in pristine condition!

18. JPUConn

JPUConn Active Member

I’ll be selling my S very soon and considered paying off the loan to get title in hand but left it be to add the leinholder as a buyer protection medium. Interesting that you see it otherwise.

• Like x 1
  19. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Member

Oh hell no....google "California Use Tax" - NOBODY escapes the taxman (legally) in California

20. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Member

If you want an easy sale, pay off the car and have the title in hand. If you want a complicated sale, don't pay off the loan first.