Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Out of town for 5 Weeks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yep 50 or 60% on the charger.
Also suggest the wife drive it once a week, even just up and down the driveway to exercise the tires and keep things lubricated and happy.
However, my wife (also from MI) would likely be irked by that suggestion but would likely try to comply. However, it may get her more comfortable with the car.

Reactions: Fred42
Under the theory that long term battery storage is best in the middle of the charging range. Likely does not make any statistically significant difference though. But it’s easy.
Makes a difference. Should be in Tesla doc. It is just scientific fact that batteries like 50%. Every other electric vehicle I’ve had had explicitly said to leave at 50-60 for long term storage.

Just for comparison sake, GM states that if the Chevrolet Volt will not be driven, for up to 4 weeks, just leave the Volt plugged in. For longer periods GM states that the Volt should be stored unplugged; the traction battery pack should be stored at 30% SOC. The Volt's 12V AGM battery should be disconnected at the negative battery lead or a battery minder specifically designed for maintaining AGM type batteries should be connected to the 12V if the Volt is to be stored for more than 4 weeks. Forgot to mention that the Volt does not let the driver set the charging limit however the Gen2 Chevrolet Volt will only charge to ~76% (~14.1kWh out a total battery pack capacity of 18.4kWh.)

Where I'm going with this is to say that since you will not be driving your Tesla for 5 weeks that you should probably set a lower charging level, i.e. ~50%.

Last edited:
Longest I’ve done is 11 weeks. Keep it plugged in, set to 50%. Reset to 80% or so when you’re returning,

To reduce tire flat spot potential, buy something similar to https://www.amazon.com/VaygWay-Heavy-Duty-Tire-Saver/dp/B082J3R3G2/ and put these on high density foam pads so they don’t slip when driving into them.

oh, also ensure your wife knows how to reset your internet router if needed - stresses you out when you lose connectivity for weeks ;)

Just for comparison sake, GM states that if the Chevrolet Volt will not be driven, for up to 4 weeks, just leave the Volt plugged in. For longer periods GM states that the Volt should be stored unplugged; the traction battery pack should be stored at 30% SOC. The Volt's 12V AGM battery should be disconnected at the negative battery lead or a battery minder specifically designed for maintaining AGM type batteries should be connected to the 12V if the Volt is to be stored for more than 4 weeks. Forgot to mention that the Volt does not let the driver set the charging limit however the Gen2 Chevrolet Volt will only charge to ~76% (~14.1kWh out a total battery pack capacity of 18.4kWh.)

Where I'm going with this is to say that since you will not be driving your Tesla for 5 weeks that you should probably set a lower charging level, i.e. ~50%.
Dangerous to conflate different cars’ instructions. Volt (and eGolf and some others) do NOT have an active battery management system. So, if you leave unplugged, there is no drain. Per instructions, I left my eGolf unplugged for months. Tesla has an active battery management system which requires it to be plugged in.

Reactions: MikeBur
Dangerous to conflate different cars’ instructions. Volt (and eGolf and some others) do NOT have an active battery management system. So, if you leave unplugged, there is no drain. Per instructions, I left my eGolf unplugged for months. Tesla has an active battery management system which requires it to be plugged in.
I'm not sure what you meant by an active battery management system but both the Gen1 and Gen2 Chevrolet Volt have one of the most sophisticated battery management systems ever designed for a plug-in vehicle. In addition to automatic protection against overcharging/over discharging the Volt's battery management system includes liquid cooling, active cooling and heating (when plugged in), charging, automatic cell balancing and thermal protection.

I did not suggest leaving the Tesla unplugged, I suggested that leaving the Tesla charging limit set to ~50% was probably a good idea when leaving the vehicle parked for 5 weeks.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: tomas
I've mentioned this before in this forum. Had to leave our Bolt (2019) from early Nov to early Aug of this summer (virus travel issues). Left the Bolt on Cape Cod at 45% charge, plugged in, with the 12v battery on a smart-charger as well.

Got back to a perfectly operating EV in Aug. Five weeks ain't nothing!! I'd reduce the traction charge level to around 50% as others have suggested.

Rich

I'm not sure what you meant by an active battery management system but both the Gen1 and Gen2 Chevrolet Volt have one of the most sophisticated battery management systems ever designed for a plug-in vehicle. In addition to automatic protection against overcharging/over discharging the Volt's battery management system includes liquid cooling, active cooling and heating (when plugged in), charging, automatic cell balancing and thermal protection.

I did not suggest leaving the Tesla unplugged, I suggested that leaving the Tesla charging limit set to ~50% was probably a good idea when leaving the vehicle parked for 5 weeks.
By active I meant always on. That’s why you cannot leave Tesla unplugged for duration. I did not mean to imply that you were giving bad advice. But I do not understand how this thread wandered into other EVs, and with the number of new owners out there, I thought it should be made clear lest someone try volt tactics on their Tesla.

Last edited:
By active I meant always on. That’s why you cannot leave Tesla unplugged for duration. I did not mean to imply that you were giving bad advice. But I do not understand how this thread wandered into other EVs, and with the number of new owners out there, I thought it should be made clear lest someone try volt tactics on their Tesla.
The Volt never truly turns off; the Volt's 12V battery continues to provide power to the essential systems when you turn off the car. The Volt will continue to connect to OnStar at least for the first few days while parked. You can put the Volt into Transport Mode to turn off most of the monitoring systems, this reduces the drain on the 12V battery. My reason for referencing the Volt was to show that other EV companies have similar experience and advice as regards how to properly maintain the battery pack when leaving the vehicle parked for extended periods.

The Volt never truly turns off; the Volt's 12V battery continues to provide power to the essential systems when you turn off the car. The Volt will continue to connect to OnStar at least for the first few days while parked. You can put the Volt into Transport Mode to turn off most of the monitoring systems, this reduces the drain on the 12V battery. My reason for referencing the Volt was to show that other EV companies have similar experience and advice as regards how to properly maintain the battery pack when leaving the vehicle parked for extended periods.
Did I stumble into volt forum? :):)

• Funny
Reactions: Acps110 and DanDi58
Interesting to note that the Tesla Model 3 instructions to disconnect the 12v and high voltage system do suggest disconnecting the 12v and high voltage systems before storing the vehicle for three weeks ore more (unless it's plugged in).

Perhaps not a great idea if the car were to be left in super cold or super hot climate, but likely better than letting it go dead on its own.

Attachments

• BR-17-17-004_Disconnecting_12V_and_High_Voltage_Power_on_Model_3.pdf
    635.4 KB · Views: 43