Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Out of warranty concerns about Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Except Tesla sells the Model S based upon it needing LESS maintenance than an ICE car. You shouldn't let them off the hook so easily by justifying Model S post-warranty repair costs using ICE equivalents. Tesla says it is not equivalent and Model S should cost much less. Don't let them off the hook so easily.

It does require less maintenance than an ICE except tires. It just needs more repairs. ICE have decades of refinement.

I don't know exactly how much the center display costs, but according to the IHS Global Insight tear down, there are a large number of system controls attached to the center display complex. I suspect these additional components will add significant cost.

FYI--I just had my center display replaced, and it sounds like there is a lot of labor involved, which would, obviously, drive the cost even more.

What makes you believe there is a lot of labor involved in replacing the center console? Certainly, it is a very complex component, much like a laptop computer is, but to replace it should be a piece of cake. A lot less effort than honing a cylinder, or changing a timing belt...

What makes you believe there is a lot of labor involved in replacing the center console? Certainly, it is a very complex component, much like a laptop computer is, but to replace it should be a piece of cake. A lot less effort than honing a cylinder, or changing a timing belt...

I can change out a hard disc drive in minutes. However, it may take hours to reload the operating system and all required supporting drivers, applications, etc. Doing the hardware may be the easy part.

Decided to jump in on this topic.

I have had my S85 for 11 weeks, and have 8800 miles on it. The warranty period with mileage and time is a big concern of mine. I have heard that the Tesla should require less maintenance than an ICE vehicle, and oil changes and transmission services are a thing of the past. However, I am concerned and uncertain about Tesla's philosophy regarding several issues.

1) Salvage Tesla's. Sure, from a corporate view, it makes sense to not support returning a salvage vehicle to operational use. No problem... just order a new one, right? I think it's because they are winding their way through uncharted territory, and maybe corporate policy hadn't anticipated this reality, but they need to address this in a friendly and positive way.

2) Replacement Parts and Diagnostics

I think that if I have purchased a product, I should be able to purchase replacement parts at a reasonable cost. It doesn't matter if it's a Craftsman Snow Thrower, a blender, a Mercedes Sedan, or a Tesla MS. I don't have a major problem with paying a reasonable diagnostics fee, but I would be happier if I can buy such a setup and perform the diagnostics myself. My Dell computer allows this; why not a technologically advanced vehicle like the Tesla. I could even agree with Read Only capability, and not the ability to change parameters or reset warnings, etc. An informed consumer is a empowered consumer. I would take it to Tesla to reset if necessary, but again, for a reasonable fee.
I am also concerned about the major proprietary parts that require purchase from Tesla. The center console and air suspension parts come to mind. How about a fair price with core exchange. If I have to cough up $6K to $7K for the center console, what is the value of the failed one? If it's worthless, I'll keep it. If it must be turned in, will Tesla repair the failed part(s) and offer it as refurbished part. What would be the refurbished price (exchange?)

3) I wonder about the battery pack. Sure, the 8 year unlimited mileage (85kWh) warranty applies, but how does that 8 year warranty really work? If the contactor fails in the pack, why should a new pack be necessary. Let me take it in to the Fremont factory SC and have them just replace the failed part. I totally understand the concept of FRU (Field Replaceable Unit) but I don't want to pay for the fancy box and contents when only a knob needs replacing. If they can perform a 3 minute battery swap, the cost to remove the battery shouldn't be too expensive. If it's out of warranty, I will work on the pack myself. (I have experience in working on high voltage traction vehicles including gel and lithium energy systems). If the contactor fails, will I have to try and locate it on the open market, or can I order one from Tesla. Again, I'm talking about in-warranty as well as out-of-warranty situations. I am stating a battery pack issue, whether it is a battery pack assembly failure, or a substantial loss of range issue. I might not want to replace a whole battery pack assembly for a single part failure.

4) If Elon Musk is really comitted to Tesla Service not being about making money, we should see corporate policy following this where the rubber meets the road. The price of the annual service seems to be inflated if I bring the MS to the SC, but is reasonable if they bring me a loaner and ferry it back and forth. How about the option.

Scotty

I can change out a hard disc drive in minutes. However, it may take hours to reload the operating system and all required supporting drivers, applications, etc. Doing the hardware may be the easy part.

Well if the difference was a couple grand, I'd say I'll just take the default settings and go through manually to restore my settings. I doubt this is the case, as the settings file can be backed up quickly and restored as soon as the new center console is in place. If they did it right, this would take all of 10 mins max.

2) Replacement Parts and Diagnostics

I am also concerned about the major proprietary parts that require purchase from Tesla. The center console and air suspension parts come to mind. How about a fair price with core exchange. If I have to cough up $6K to $7K for the center console, what is the value of the failed one? If it's worthless, I'll keep it. If it must be turned in, will Tesla repair the failed part(s) and offer it as refurbished part. What would be the refurbished price (exchange?)

4) If Elon Musk is really comitted to Tesla Service not being about making money, we should see corporate policy following this where the rubber meets the road. The price of the annual service seems to be inflated if I bring the MS to the SC, but is reasonable if they bring me a loaner and ferry it back and forth. How about the option.

Scotty

2) Agree. Refurbished parts should be an option to drive down out of warranty expenses. If they bill be for a brand new part, then I will absolutely demand that they give me the old one back so I can keep it.

4) Yes, the trouble is that everyone seems to get valet service. Not just those of us who pay for service. Elon is on record acknowledging that $600 is an unreasonable amount to charge for "no service."

Last edited:

Just basing it on the fact that it took a number of tries to get the whole repair done and correct. I gather a fair amount of the dash was tinkered with, but I didn't see it so I was guessing a bit.

4) Yes, the trouble is that everyone seems to get valet service. Not just those of us who pay for service. Elon is on record acknowledging that $600 is an unreasonable amount to charge for "no service."

Not everyone. My receipt for when they replaced the steering wheel on my car says that valet service was disallowed because I live too far from the Service Center.

Not everyone. My receipt for when they replaced the steering wheel on my car says that valet service was disallowed because I live too far from the Service Center.

Good point. I think you must be within 50 miles or so of the SvC. But the point was that valet and paying for service are completely different things. In fact, I'm pretty sure even if you paid for service and requested valet from outside the boundary, they would charge you a ranger visit.

image.jpg
Car's back. Runs great. There will be a delay though in thread update. Checking on some things with Tesla first before giving my review.

i will however post this completely unrelated picture as I have been impatiently waiting to get my car back to see how it looks :)

Last edited:
Congratulations and big hugs on getting your car back. Here's hoping that all issues are resolved forever!
Not too much trouble, however a NDA was involved, so thats what I'm waiting to hear back on before I post my reviews and updates (Which will all be 100% spectacular praise for Tesla). Part of the problem dealing with this is, what was done to my car, may not necessarily be what needs to be done to someone else car with similar issues, so I don't want to say this and this and this, then have 100 other people rush their service centers demanding the same things that were done to my car be done on theirs, and while the problems may be similar or seem exactly the same, may not be and needlessly waste precious service center's time.

Not too much trouble, however a NDA was involved, so thats what I'm waiting to hear back on before I post my reviews and updates (Which will all be 100% spectacular praise for Tesla).
:confused: Curiouser and curiouser...

I wonder how that one played out - "Mr Islandbayy, before we make good on our legal obligations to you under your car's warranty, would you mind signing this pesky little NDA? Just a formality, mind you."

An NDA is definitely a red flag. Whatever they did to Islandbay's car they don't want being discussed and getting out to the general public. I would never sign anything if that sort. This is very unusual. Speculating that maybe they swapped his battery pack for a larger one and this will be available to all at swap stations in the future hence the need to NDA it so Islandbay can't speak about impending Tesla announcements??