Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Out of warranty concerns about Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Absolutely agree. And I also would make the point that Jerome is not swayed by 'what a customer has done for Tesla', but rather by what is the right thing to be done. It is a shame that it reached that point. But Jerome has intervened for plenty of people, based on 'what is the right thing' and for no other reason.

Completely agree.

So what is it going to take from us to get some visibility on our concerns here? should I write an email to Jerome? I am, like Bonnie, not one to feel like I should ask for special favors in order to get things done.

As a business owner, I would always prefer a customer bring to my attention that my middle-level-management did not perform as expected. You shouldn't have to do this, but if you are confident that your situation is a result of improper attention at the customer level, due to improper handling by middle management (which may be at your SC or in Fremont) -- let Jerome know. Likely if it is such a situation, Jerome will not only help address your problem, but help reduce the likelyhood of another customer experiencing the same.

As a business owner, I would always prefer a customer bring to my attention that my middle-level-management did not perform as expected. You shouldn't have to do this, but if you are confident that your situation is a result of improper attention at the customer level, due to improper handling by middle management (which may be at your SC or in Fremont) -- let Jerome know. Likely if it is such a situation, Jerome will not only help address your problem, but help reduce the likelyhood of another customer experiencing the same.

+1000.

I am absolutely certain that Jerome wants every customer treated fairly and walking away from any interaction with Tesla feeling that Tesla is a great company. The only way a manager can fix things is if they know about it. And then it is fixed for the next customer, too. Obviously I'd give local managers a chance to make things right before escalating. That's just basic respect.

(Note, none of this means that the customer is always right - I've witnessed some very entitled attitudes at some service centers - it was embarrassing. Owners literally in the wrong and shouting at employees, demanding things be done their way, "Or else". There are situations where the customer is definitely wrong, too ...)

- - - Updated - - -

So what is it going to take from us to get some visibility on our concerns here? should I write an email to Jerome? I am, like Bonnie, not one to feel like I should ask for special favors in order to get things done.

Let me clarify: In no way did I mean NOT to escalate. My point was that when escalating, it's not about if you've been at EV events or made videos or convinced friends to buy cars. ... It's about Tesla doing what is right for every customer. That should be a level playing field. Bringing other things into it is almost insulting, if I'm on the receiving end - as if I wouldn't take care of the customer unless they'd been doing things for me. And Jerome has shown that he responds to every customer's situation without regard to their past history with the company.

That was all I meant.

... I want to be able to maintain and service the car. ANY other brand (except maybe the exotics) this would not be a problem.

Do I have any options here? This feels like I'm being forced to purchase service from Tesla when I really don't need to. Something about that stinks of unfair practices.

I'm with you on this, Tesla should publish service manuals with solid guidelines, and sell genuine Tesla replacement parts to those who'd prefer to service their cars themselves.

Reactions: BestHand
That's the Tesla I know. The only note I'd add is that I doubt the fact that this response has occurred because videos are made or because cars have been sold - in my experience, that does not influence decisions at Tesla (and if it did, I'd have serious doubts about their future as a company).

I like to think that those types of things gets the invites to parties and some nice swag - but all customers are treated equally when it comes to service for the cars. I guess that's the one thing that has bothered me in this thread ... the suggestions from some that because of other activities, one person should be treated differently than others when it comes to service. I don't think anyone actually meant that. It would be a sad day if the only way people could get good service would be because they did above and beyond for Tesla, wouldn't it?

I agree. I did mention it in my email, not sure I worded it as well as I should have (It was a long email and did get a lot of frustration out), but my Intention, weather it came across like this or not, was to basically say, "Hey Look, I love the car, I want to Keep Loving the Car. I also want to be able to honestly say it a good reliable car and keep being able to recommend it to others". That was my intent. Weather or not thats how It came across, i dont know.

- - - Updated - - -

Let's hope it all works out, but I am perturbed it took a direct letter to Jerome to get action on these issues. We've all read and watched about islandbay's car's problems (including the inability to upgrade to an 85kWh pack), and we know Tesla does as well. It should not require Jerome to step in each time...that just doesn't scale. When Model Three comes out will need a Giga-Jerome if that is the case! (Well, perhaps just a Kilo-Jerome, but as far as I know, there is only a Uni-Jerome right now).

So far, Tesla service has been stellar for us. I had no reason to believe it had changed until I read some of these posts. Let's hope for a satisfactory (or better) resolution for islandbay, and for Tesla's service to continue to be the best there is.

I personally should have tried harder to get in contact with the regional manager to get things resolved. I most likely jumped the gun a bit out of frustration to contact Jerome first. I am dealing with the Regional manager now, and we are getting things resolved.

- - - Updated - - -

Absolutely agree. And I also would make the point that Jerome is not swayed by 'what a customer has done for Tesla', but rather by what is the right thing to be done. It is a shame that it reached that point. But Jerome has intervened for plenty of people, based on 'what is the right thing' and for no other reason.

Jerome's response to me leads me to believe your point.

- - - Updated - - -

As I said to someone else, I believe I jumped the gun a bit going right to Jerome. Start with Regional First. Then go up as needed. So far I am very happy with how things are now being handled. I have concerns about being able to service my own vehicle in the future, and I dont think we will be getting resolve on that any time soon. As for the issues I have been having, things are being worked out.

- - - Updated - - -

For issues with your car, I can give you Scott, the Regional Manager's number if you'd like. PM me if you want it. For issues with concerns about parts and servicing ones own vehicle, I'd say Jerome to give opinion to Corporate.

For issues with your car, I can give you Scott, the Regional Manager's number if you'd like. PM me if you want it. For issues with concerns about parts and servicing ones own vehicle, I'd say Jerome to give opinion to Corporate.

Thing is, I don't really have any issues with my car at this time.. besides the STUPID headlights and night day mode thing and a really minor clunk which sounds like driveline slop to me.. I've complained about the lights / dash before and been told the driveline is normal at this time and having built gear boxes in the past I would be inclined to agree.

My issue is solely with the lack of support staring me in the face in 1,800 miles.

when the car says please contact Tesla service, how do I figure out what is wrong? I don't feel I should have to call in to Tesla. what happens when they no longer support the car?!

That's the Tesla I know. The only note I'd add is that I doubt the fact that this response has occurred because videos are made or because cars have been sold - in my experience, that does not influence decisions at Tesla (and if it did, I'd have serious doubts about their future as a company).

I like to think that those types of things gets the invites to parties and some nice swag - but all customers are treated equally when it comes to service for the cars. I guess that's the one thing that has bothered me in this thread ... the suggestions from some that because of other activities, one person should be treated differently than others when it comes to service. I don't think anyone actually meant that. It would be a sad day if the only way people could get good service would be because they did above and beyond for Tesla, wouldn't it?

My suggestion to Islandbayy that he mention these things was based upon the presumption that it couldn't hurt, and it would reinforce to Tesla that they are dealing with a die-hard owner and fan - not someone who wants to cause trouble. I find that it always helps to mention how much you love the brand. We are dealing with other human beings at Tesla, after all, and some of them may be additionally motivated by this fact.

I've heard a lot of concern about potential problems or expenses after the warranty is over, but I am curious if anybody out there has some stories of actual major problems or expenses with their Tesla after the warranty was over- and how did Tesla handle those problems. I am a high miler with 20,000 miles in m; 6 1/2 months of ownership. I live in Florida and we cannot get the extended warranty here, so that is out of the question. The service station has been phenomenal for taking care of any concerns major or minor, and are even making sure that they document concerns that presently are not adding up to a repair, but may add up to something later (? will show that problem existed before warranty over??). Anyways, like many of you, I am much more concerned about what will happen when I hit the 50K and the general warranty expires. My first belief is that any existing kinks should be figured out by then (which is likely to be not long after I hit my one year of ownership). Interestingly, there is no shortage of people with fears, but I have not found anybody reporting actual costly problems the owner had to endure (salvage excluded).

angel

My issue is solely with the lack of support staring me in the face in 1,800 miles.

when the car says please contact Tesla service, how do I figure out what is wrong? I don't feel I should have to call in to Tesla. what happens when they no longer support the car?!
Some service centers have what's called a diagnosis fee for both the roadster and Model S posted in the lobby. If I remember correctly, it was $125 for the Model S, and $250 for the Roadster. Now whether they sell you parts to fix it yourself after having it diagnosed is anybody's guess.

- - - Updated - - -

All right, point taken. I could have been more precise in my statement. But you know exactly what I meant.

Look, here's my personal experience - I do a lot to support electric vehicles and Tesla in particular. And yes, I know a lot of people and get through easily to many people. But when it comes to service for my vehicle, I neither ask for special favors nor receive special favors. That would be crossing a line. I don't receive some 'friend of Tesla' discount, I don't get special treatment (other than what other Roadster owners experience).

So yeah, of course not every customer is treated *exactly* the same. You're right. Sorry (again) that I was not as precise as I should have been in my words. I thought the intent would be clear, but I was mistaken. There are customers who are total jerks when they come in (I've seen some). They probably have a harder time getting quick appointments, etc. And customers who are trusted for a variety of reasons probably have an easier time of things. But in no case would that be a bargaining chip, as in 'hey, I've helped sell cars for you so you should do these things for me'. THAT was my point.

Fair?
How would Tesla know for sure that anybody has helped sell cars? That is definately not why anybody gets special treatment. They get special treatment because of who they are, or who they know. It's that simple.

I have been treated very good by Tesla at various locations, BUT when it comes to buying parts, in my experience it takes a lot of hair pulling to get what you need, unless you are the select few I mentioned in my post. That is fine, but when Tesla has a monopoly on parts, it will obviously backfire(unless they change their policy), and the dealership model will be forced on them(which is too bad).

How would Tesla know for sure that anybody has helped sell cars? That is definately not why anybody gets special treatment. They get special treatment because of who they are, or who they know. It's that simple.

I have been treated very good by Tesla at various locations, BUT when it comes to buying parts, in my experience it takes a lot of hair pulling to get what you need, unless you are the select few I mentioned in my post. That is fine, but when Tesla has a monopoly on parts, it will obviously backfire(unless they change their policy), and the dealership model will be forced on them(which is too bad).

I'm not going to get dragged into some argument outside of this thread's topic. What I was referring to/responding to was the suggestion that he let Jerome know how many cars he'd sold for Tesla through his videos. I think by reviewing the thread, you'll see the intent of my comments and then the ensuing discussion bears this out. I'm not sure how you got on this other topic.

I'm not going to get dragged into some argument outside of this thread's topic. What I was referring to/responding to was the suggestion that he let Jerome know how many cars he'd sold for Tesla through his videos. I think by reviewing the thread, you'll see the intent of my comments and then the ensuing discussion bears this out. I'm not sure how you got on this other topic.
I guess we had a misunderstanding on the words "special treatment". The "why" is irrelevant, at least to me.

+1. I've been arguing this point for a long time. Tesla needs to provide better diagnostics to owners. Roadster owners already have it, time MS gets on board.

I've heard a lot of concern about potential problems or expenses after the warranty is over, but I am curious if anybody out there has some stories of actual major problems or expenses with their Tesla after the warranty was over- and how did Tesla handle those problems.

Well, they did charge someone $3300 for a failed master charger. Just saying.

You know - the charger is certainly one of the expensive things not covered for 8 years. Probably the most expensive thing.

I have to say that $3300 is reasonable and if that is the most expensive thing - that isn't too bad. Less than the cost still of extended warranty.

Cost and availability of parts and service when out of waranty are a concern of mine. This is just too much of an unknown. Parts should be orderable on-line, just like the cars and accessories. This is possible for GM cars, for example. You can see how much major items will cost, such as the battery, inverter, drive unit, charger, DC-DC converter, etc. GM even appears to be subsidizing some major parts, such as the Volt battery for $2995. This helps make customers more comfortable committing to a major purchase.

I think Tesla eventually will do this, and sooner would be better than later.

GSP

You know - the charger is certainly one of the expensive things not covered for 8 years. Probably the most expensive thing.

I have to say that $3300 is reasonable and if that is the most expensive thing - that isn't too bad. Less than the cost still of extended warranty.

So what happens after 8 years? That's really not that long; one of my cars turned 8 this year.

+1. I've been arguing this point for a long time. Tesla needs to provide better diagnostics to owners. Roadster owners already have it, time MS gets on board.

Well, they did charge someone $3300 for a failed master charger. Just saying.

I do recall hearing about a livery car owner having a failed master charger that was out of warranty. My recollection was that Tesla ended up replacing it free of charge.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...rime-Time-Can-I-afford-to-own-this-car/page11

Last edited: