Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Out of Warranty Drive Unit Replacement and Cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2014 S85 is getting a new drive unit - paying out of pocket due to rebuilt title. Cost is $4800 parts (1025276-00-Q reman) and $758.50 for labor (3.1h for the DU and 1hr for diagnostic at $185/hr).

Tesla's parts warranty for drive units is 4yr/50k, so not a bad deal considering the warranty.
I wonder why the price varies among SC to perform the same service, I was quoted $6k. Seems like you are at least saving a bit more than others for the same service. My model is 2013 P85+, I wonder if that makes a difference.

Reactions: vanR
I would assume that the performance motor costs more than the non-performance motor...

I wonder why the price varies among SC to perform the same service, I was quoted $6k. Seems like you are at least saving a bit more than others for the same service. My model is 2013 P85+, I wonder if that makes a difference.
Does your quote have the sport part number below?
Screen Shot 2022-09-29 at 7.39.17 AM.png

or maybe it is for the new sport drive unit instead of the reman

Screen Shot 2022-09-29 at 7.48.11 AM.png

Does your quote have the sport part number below?
View attachment 858107
or maybe it is for the new sport drive unit instead of the reman

View attachment 858108
My states:

ASY,P-TRAIN,SPORT,LARGE DU(1002633-010T) so it seems like it's a new one. That might explain the difference in price. My original issue for taking the car to SC was for a clicking/clunk noise that is happening when pressing the accelerator from an standstill position (you can see my other thread regarding this), but after it was seen by the service center, they readjusted my estimate to reflect that both rear half shafts needs to be replaced as well as the LDU. Before taking the car to SC, I did the speed sensor inspection and no moisture was found. I’m waiting for Tesla Chat reply back regarding my inquiry about what was the root cause of the noise was to justify replacing all of the 3 items.

Last edited:
is this the situation where it only affects the RDU's of only the 2018 and earlier performance models? Starts with a small leak inside past some sort of seal inside the RDU? There is a company that rebuilds for much cheaper. Somewhere out west. There is a thread on it if thats the issue
Do you know where this thread is? I have had the RDU replaced once in my 2013 P85 and now they say there is water in the unit. I know that the car did not sit in water, so I have to believe it is the fault of the Refurbished Unit that they replaced in 2018. Only 4 years and less than 30k miles and a new Drive Unit that is supposed to last for one million miles??? Something is not right.

Do you know where this thread is? I have had the RDU replaced once in my 2013 P85 and now they say there is water in the unit. I know that the car did not sit in water, so I have to believe it is the fault of the Refurbished Unit that they replaced in 2018. Only 4 years and less than 30k miles and a new Drive Unit that is supposed to last for one million miles??? Something is not right.

Read post #225 #234 #238 @ajbessinger works for QC Charge (QCC) near San Diego. They fix/rebuild lots of these coolant leak drive units.

I'm rebuilding mine as are other fairly advanced DIYers. Link in signature compiles all the rebuild info.

Tesla's replacement quote seems to be all over the map. From $5500+tax in post #241 to $11k verbal quote for a 2014 P85 near me in WA. QCC also echo their customers getting wide range of replacement quote from Tesla. Perhaps P pricier. Don't know.

Since you are in VA, maybe contact 057 in NC ( 057 Technology ) They repair lots of batteries and told me they send drive units out to a rebuilder. Maybe they can give you a closer east coast referral. Ask about drain modifications with the rebuilder as it will eventually leak again and probably within 4 year 30k miles (poorly designed area) so best to put in preventive mods to reduce collateral damage. A bunch of high power electronics in the drive units where leaked coolant can reach.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2101Guy
Since you are in VA, maybe contact 057 in NC ( 057 Technology ) They repair lots of batteries and told me they send drive units out to a rebuilder. Maybe they can give you a closer east coast referral. Ask about drain modifications with the rebuilder as it will eventually leak again and probably within 4 year 30k miles (poorly designed area) so best to put in preventive mods to reduce collateral damage. A bunch of high power electronics in the drive units where leaked coolant can reach.
057 quoted me $6900 for a base DU replacement on my late 2014 85. They said late 2014 and up Performance cars (or upgraded standard cars) need a fairly expensive version of the sport unit if you’re going the upgrade route and would be $10900 for me. That’s for an upgrade for a base model, which I assume is a good bit more expensive than a straight swap on a P85.

I wouldn’t hesitate to go with 057 as they have been super helpful in my rebuild, but Tesla ended up being less expensive (including salvage HV inspection) and includes a warranty.

I feel like a lottery winner. I started hearing a milling sound in the rear of my 2017 S. I'm at 99,100 miles and Tesla is replacing the drive unit and apparently the breaks under warranty. 3 weeks from now this would have been a sob story post.

I feel like a lottery winner. I started hearing a milling sound in the rear of my 2017 S. I'm at 99,100 miles and Tesla is replacing the drive unit and apparently the breaks under warranty. 3 weeks from now this would have been a sob story post.

Why? Your drive unit warranty is good until 2025 - 8 years with unlimited miles (same with your battery).

Reactions: Huachipato
Hello you Beastman. I can answer any specific questions you have on Drive Unit repair, but I would wager YouTuber Johan (TMC VanR) has answered them already.
Hi Daniel

Thank you for the reply. I am most interested in what you used to R&R the unit, similar to what howard64 has done here. You seem to have a nice setup to R&R these. From howards experience, the motorcycle jack was quite critical to removing the unit safely without damaging anything else. Johan (VanR) has a rav4 and thus the unit comes out much differently than the whole rear subframe on a model S.

Why? Your drive unit warranty is good until 2025 - 8 years with unlimited miles (same with your battery).
How many miles do you have on your drive unit to date, and is it a 2016/2017 model? I am now curious as my replacement unit appears to be a 2017 T model for the p85 and it might not be a refurb after studying the part number. If I remember correctly, you have over 100k on the same DU. Not sure what PN# you have.

How many miles do you have on your drive unit to date, and is it a 2016/2017 model? I am now curious as my replacement unit appears to be a 2017 T model for the p85 and it might not be a refurb after studying the part number. If I remember correctly, you have over 100k on the same DU. Not sure what PN# you have.

I have a late 2016 with 150k miles. Original drive unit so I’m unsure of the part number.

I would be curious if you have checked the speed sensor for moisture and coolant. Yours is still under warranty for a few years; if you ever pop the aerosheilds pls take a pic of the PN# on the bottom of the DU. That might give the rest of us some helpful info.