Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Out of warranty motor noise - advice needed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2017 RWD S75 and recently noticed there is a fairly loud whirring noise when driving the car at low speed. Whether this is 2pmh or 20mph, it is there until about 25mph. I never noticed it until recently. That could be because it just started happening recently, or because I usually have the A/C blasting and music. You can only hear it with both off (but it is quite noticeable). I live in a hot climate so only recently have jumped in and started driving with the A/C off.

I am bringing my car in for service in a few weeks and want the Service Center to look in to this. I have 3 years left on my Battery and Drive train warranty. I expect they should investigate (and fix) this for free. They want me to agree to paying $190 upfront just to have them "look at" this issue which is a warranty covered item.

I am hesitant to pay this because I am fairly certain they will come back and tell me since there are no errors or whatever, that this is a normal noise, and nothing will be fixed AND I'll be out $190.

Any suggestions on how to get them to check this for free or navigate this situation?

Also feel free to tell me I am crazy, and that sound is normal and there's nothing to see here. From my research on the forum I don't think its a normal noise but maybe I'm wrong.

So I just realized my post and title are very confusing since I didn't clarify.

I am out of the Basic bumper to bumper 4 year warranty, but still have my 8 year warranty. If I was within the first 4 years, I am fairly certain I would not be charged any diagnostic fee to look in to this.

Here is a recording of what my car sounds like. I’ve never ridden in another Model S so I don’t know if this is normal or a take it in to the service department now sound

My P85+ Model S Whirring Sound
Great, thank you for providing that. I will see about doing the same.

So my sound is exactly the same KIND of sound, but less intense. I also don't have performance but rwd S75 (2017).

If I were you, based on comparing to mine, and the fact that I'm wanting to take mine in, you should definitely take it in.

Great, thank you for providing that. I will see about doing the same.

So my sound is exactly the same KIND of sound, but less intense. I also don't have performance but rwd S75 (2017).

If I were you, based on comparing to mine, and the fact that I'm wanting to take mine in, you should definitely take it in.
That’s what I’ve been thinking. My warranty ends in July 2022 and I don’t want to get stuck but I also don’t want the run around based on the horror stories I hear about Tesla service and the time it either takes them to get parts, repair, get back to you or break something else in the process but then tell you it was that way when it came in and want you to pay for more repairs or you have a totally undrivable car

Here is a recording of what my car sounds like. I’ve never ridden in another Model S so I don’t know if this is normal or a take it in to the service department now sound

My P85+ Model S Whirring Sound
That’s not normal and severe enough I would certainly take it in under warranty. I can’t imagine them keeping your $190 and saying it’s within spec.

Reactions: coreywgrant