Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Out of warranty repair price list?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've watched many scary videos online in which Tesla owners (typically model X owners) quote exorbitant prices that Tesla quoted for repairing their cars.
Is there a comprehensive list of out of warranty repair costs for the model 3 yet?
From memory I believe the AC was $5000, each suspension spring was $1500, the media center computer was $2000-$4000, the door handle was $1000 and the fuel flap was $100.

I've watched many scary videos online in which Tesla owners (typically model X owners) quote exorbitant prices that Tesla quoted for repairing their cars.
Is there a comprehensive list of out of warranty repair costs for the model 3 yet?
From memory I believe the AC was $5000, each suspension spring was $1500, the media center computer was $2000-$4000, the door handle was $1000 and the fuel flap was $100.

The other post you have so far is about completely removing the rear seats to "save weight". Anyone contemplating doing that kind of thing doesnt normally care about effect on warranty, and even if so, any new model 3 is going to have a 4 year 50k mile warranty, so unless you take yourself "out of warranty" yourself, it would be a while before you had to worry about that.

The other post you have so far is about completely removing the rear seats to "save weight". Anyone contemplating doing that kind of thing doesnt normally care about effect on warranty, and even if so, any new model 3 is going to have a 4 year 50k mile warranty, so unless you take yourself "out of warranty" yourself, it would be a while before you had to worry about that.
If a question like this has the promise of illiciting a good response, I'd say it's a fair question.
At 1st thought this prompted me to think of a possible community sustained Excel sheet with multiple tabs. The 1st tab can be a summary page that builds off of the rest of the tabs. The rest of the tabs can be of all the States (50 US states), with each state having categories for 'Cost of Repair' for that categorized item. I suppose this can be broken down to 'Out of Pocket' to 'Service Center Itemized Charges'. All of this accompanied with the dates of repair or charges.

By collecting this type of information, you start to switch from having an anecdotal 1-time experience to giving Tesla owners knowledge and ability to decide on what action to take (repair at local SC OR take it across state lines OR repair in own garage). I'd hate to be pounded raw by a possible shitty local SC when the solution could have been a few miles away down the road.

Watching the videos I see it is the bench (bottom) part of the seat that is easy to remove. Why would that affect the warranty? That is worrying. Are you suggesting that Tesla is looking for excuses to invalidate a car's warranty, and any small infraction might trigger that?

@jjandorin

I was told that somewhere in the Tesla forums there is such a spreadsheet already. Maybe this is not the main forum? I just chose it at random.

Like many people I'm aware of the Right to Repair movement, and the fact that Apple and Tesla and many companies are not necessarily providing customers with the info or parts (respectively) needed to repair the product.

Repair costs are my main worry about buying a Tesla. If Elon's goal is to spread EV technology, he needs to make out of warranty repairs economical not all customers are as rich.

Watching the videos I see it is the bench (bottom) part of the seat that is easy to remove. Why would that affect the warranty? That is worrying. Are you suggesting that Tesla is looking for excuses to invalidate a car's warranty, and any small infraction might trigger that?

They can only, legally, invalidate a warranty if what you changed caused the issue. For example, If your control arm breaks, they couldn't say....well you added chrome delete so no warranty for you.

If you break anything nearby while doing that (or perhaps because the bench is gone and something damages something underneath), it might affect the warranty for that component affected. If you remove it completely, there is a seat heater connector so the car knows you removed it (I believe it also has occupancy sensors too). You can lift up the bench without disconnecting that connector, but I believe that's not your goal.

Most dealers/automakers look for things to invalidate a warranty, especially for aftermarket mods. If you look at auto forums you can find plenty of that. Most people will try to claim things under warranty by default even if it was damage from something else, so they all have to do something like that to keep costs under control.

Last edited:
You've suggested buying a $50k vehicle and ripping the back seats out to save 42lbs of weight... and now you're concerned with the price of out-of-warranty repairs.

Did you join the forums just for trolling? Serious question.
To save maybe 1% of the weight. Yup, that should knock a couple of tenths off the 0-60 time and extend the range by 30 miles. SMH.