Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Out of warranty repair price list?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting recent post from @kevroc. Both my cars are 2017 S & 3. I have an early build on 3. VIN's in 2000's. Car has never failed me. Like left me on the side of the road. I like to go lot's of crazy places. For me cars are cars. I drive 50k plus a year. As long as they don't leave me on the side of the road I am usually good, I could have just about anything I could want or buy. I still choose a Tesla.

Does it have some quirks. Sure. It just seems to me the OP might want a car utopia in a Tesla. For some it is. Just like for some brands people just love their Nissan for example. Things break. 1st gen seat in my 3 passenger seat adjuster broke. Oh well I got it fixed for $89. I think there have released 2 more better versions of seats. Some will say see. Car is a POS.

If one throws their hands up and says I can't handle these situations, or why did my windshield get a chip in it. Well might move on to something else. Say an Ixfiniti(really a nissan). So if you are inclined to not join the groups of the "Some" it is a sweet ownership experiences with some bumps. Life is better with bumps.

Insurance is up to the holder and so many other factors. I find mine similar to slightly lower than other cars I owned prior.

Interesting recent post from @kevroc. Both my cars are 2017 S & 3. I have an early build on 3. VIN's in 2000's. Car has never failed me. Like left me on the side of the road. I like to go lot's of crazy places. For me cars are cars. I drive 50k plus a year. As long as they don't leave me on the side of the road I am usually good, I could have just about anything I could want or buy. I still choose a Tesla.

Does it have some quirks. Sure. It just seems to me the OP might want a car utopia in a Tesla. For some it is. Just like for some brands people just love their Nissan for example. Things break. 1st gen seat in my 3 passenger seat adjuster broke. Oh well I got it fixed for $89. I think there have released 2 more better versions of seats. Some will say see. Car is a POS.

If one throws their hands up and says I can't handle these situations, or why did my windshield get a chip in it. Well might move on to something else. Say an Ixfiniti(really a nissan). So if you are inclined to not join the groups of the "Some" it is a sweet ownership experiences with some bumps. Life is better with bumps.

Insurance is up to the holder and so many other factors. I find mine similar to slightly lower than other cars I owned prior.

Yes, interesting feedback, thank you.

I am looking for car utopia. I have enough bumps in my life without looking for them ;) I'd prefer my car NOT add to the situations I have to handle in life lol.

I want a car that will have a low cost of ownership (don't mind the initial upfront) and most importantly, be the least problematic.

The idea of an EV that just runs forever without any fuss or muss to me seemed like car utopia. Gas prices can go crazy, people can wait in lines and I don't care, I just smile and keep on driving.

I was kind of hoping that I could buy a Model 3 and not look back. 400k miles / 20 years later I'd just say we had a good ride, thanks for saving me so much money and headache.

My 2002 Tahoe and 2005 Lexus are both great and have been fairly problem free, but feel EV would be simpler and more affordable for the next chapter of our lives. However, if Telsa's overall build quality / reliability don't match their motors/batteries, I could see me losing that situation. I've always had cars that were rather ubiquitous so that parts were common and finding people that were familiar working on them wasn't a issue.

I'm not a brand lover, I'm a simplicity and money lover.

I guess in looking at it another way, I should've started with the question "What sedan type car would provide the lowest cost of ownership and best reliability over 20 years"? I had convinced myself that would be a Model 3 from a high level perspective. Now I'm in the weeds and down the rabbit hole trying to disprove my theory.

I mean I am headed your way with miles towards 400k. Or that's where I will be when my warranty expires. It's the little things that break that if you want fixed can be annoying and sometimes costly. Yet my batteries have less than 10% degradation with hundreds of thousands of miles. Same motors too. I can't say the same for many of the ICE cars I have owned. At 250k there isn't one ICE car in miles at that level I would ever want to own. Yet I am headed that way with my Teslas and feel very confident.

Reactions: kevroc
Well all I can say we all are looking for a low mile partner with lots of money,
and good looks. Well they are out there my friend, a Datsun B210.
Really going on a Tesla site asking what. I think you are on the black side of
the moon. We go get a car we like and we drive it, no matter the name,
as are partners. Its happy hour, never mind, well TNT's are cheap.

Reactions: kevroc
Well all I can say we all are looking for a low mile partner with lots of money,
and good looks. Well they are out there my friend, a Datsun B210.
Really going on a Tesla site asking what. I think you are on the black side of
the moon. We go get a car we like and we drive it, no matter the name,
as are partners. Its happy hour, never mind, well TNT's are cheap.

@one2many - you may have had... one too many. 😛

I mean I am headed your way with miles towards 400k. Or that's where I will be when my warranty expires. It's the little things that break that if you want fixed can be annoying and sometimes costly. Yet my batteries have less than 10% degradation with hundreds of thousands of miles. Same motors too. I can't say the same for many of the ICE cars I have owned. At 250k there isn't one ICE car in miles at that level I would ever want to own. Yet I am headed that way with my Teslas and feel very confident.

What was your highest out-of-pocket expense? I've been debating on getting Xcare warranty before mine expires.

What was your highest out-of-pocket expense? I've been debating on getting Xcare warranty before mine expires.
😩😂😩😂😩

Not sure how to respond other than maybe an excel sheet.

Many parts of suspension start to degrade at around 180 to190k. Links/Arms bushings. Steering rack potentially for around this range as well. I didn't need it.

Already had 3 of 4 airbags in suspension replaced.

Brakes still on original.

I am religious about sunroof maintenance because of previous experience different brand. Make sure it is in good shape.

Door handles well covered here on tmc.

Couple charge ports one not under warranty.

Internal charger failed at 75k. I upgraded to 72amp. Not many people drive here like me outside of the supercharger group. At 64k in miles for the year.

Parking sensor replacement for ramming snow drifts in Manitoba.

Used cars are a crap shoot. Less so with a Tesla, but I don't buy extended anything. Self insured. I would burn through warranties in months. I also really care about keeping my car in top shape at any price. It's my income producing vehicle that keeps me comfortable. I don't have time to nickel and dime.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I think the one thing I really didn't like about the XCare is that you pay the entire warranty cost up front (about $4K when I was quoted).

I'm just not sure that this car will require $4K worth of non battery/drivetrain repairs

I think the one thing I really didn't like about the XCare is that you pay the entire warranty cost up front (about $4K when I was quoted).

I'm just not sure that this car will require $4K worth of non battery/drivetrain repairs
We hear that sometimes. Our average claim is over $1200, and we run on very tight margins. The reason we require payment up front is to provide full coverage immediately upon the 30 day wait period, rather than throttling coverage based upon payments made. We also do this to avoid people signing up, making a big claim and then quitting, requiring us to charge higher prices to future members to offset the losses. Many payment based warranties have maximum payouts based on payments made, leaving you on the hook if you have a big claim early in the process. www.xcelerateauto.com/xcare for details