Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Out of Warranty Service Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2016 90X has 52,000 miles or so. I had my drivers FWD fixed in August when it was under warranty. The same problem is happening, so I scheduled a mobile serve appointment for this Monday. I received a service estimate (via email) to replace the exact same parts as were replaced in August.

The estimate has a dollar amount ($331). I don't want to sign it since I believe they should be fixing it for free.

Does anyone know if they will sill come to do the service if I don't sign the paperwork.

Also, any idea who to contact regarding this? I called my local service center and left a message texted with the mobile service team.

Also, any idea who to contact regarding this? I called my local service center and left a message texted with the mobile service team.
Do you not want them to do the work or are you disputing the cost? If the later I would take that up when the work is done.

If you don't want them to do the work unless they can assure you it won't happen again I think you have done what you can do. They usually contact you the day before service to insure you are going to be there etc so you should have another shot at it then.

BTW what is the problem you are having?

I want them to do the work, but the estimate I received is for the exact same "fix" as 2 months ago, so I don't want to pay for the service.

My issue is about 50% of the time, the drives FWD indicates there is an object in the way when opening the door and the door will not open more than a few inches. I've reported this at least twice and both times they replaces the sensor inside the door.

People have called this a "phantom" object in front of the door. Does anyone know of a long term fix to this issue?

Are you in high heat / direct sunlight when you have the issue? That was the most common false object detection for us.

Yes. That is mostly the issue.

To finish this up, the mobile service tech can and he was excellent. He didn't charge me for the fix and he did say the sensor they installed in August was giving errors. So my issue is fixed for now.

My main problem was the poor communication from Tesla service. With no way to call someone, there were a lot of miscommunications. That's not new, I just hope they find a way for us to at least chat with a service rep at some point.