TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Outdated Terminology

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by brianman, Jun 30, 2013.

1. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

/chuckle at "rolls" :)

2. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

how else would you say it?

3. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Yep, some old terms just stick. When was the last time you "dialed" a phone or "tuned" a radio.

4. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

It's not rotary, but when I hit number keys on my phone, isn't it still dialing?

5. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

6. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

No more than you "dial" an e-mail address. The term "dial" comes from when phones had dials that you had to spin with your finger to make a call.

7. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

Maybe so. But when someone says "dial this number" or "dial" me up sometime; you don't reply: "I cant, I don't have a rotary phone."

8. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Sheesh! That's my point. Someone was criticized for saying "roll up the window" and I was just pointing out that sometimes the old terminology based on the old technology sticks around. If we never had rotary dial phones, people would probably have said "enter" the phone number or "punch in" the phone number. For years people "dialed" phones and so the term carried over to today.

9. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

#9 brianman, Jul 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2013
    I was chuckling at the outdated terminology of "rolling down window", not at your use of it. :)

I usually say open or lower, but sometimes roll as well. Regardless of the actual mechanism inside, from a driver/passenger perspective very few actually "roll" the windows down except in collector or almost-dead vehicles.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey, if you're going to reference someone's post in defending yourself please get the facts straight. I chuckled because it made me laugh when I read his post. I wasn't criticizing.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm totally doing that next time someone asks me to dial.

10. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Sorry, "criticize" is not what I meant. I really just meant that is was commented on, and I was responding to the "how else would you say it" response. I'll know better to stay out of conversations regarding colloquial terminology in future. :wink:

11. kvietor

kvietor Model S S280 VIN 168

I'll give you one better. What's the hand signal we all use (at least we old guys) to get someone to lower the window on his car? Think about it. :wink:

12. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

This post is getting sluggish: step on the gas!!!! :biggrin:

13. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

How often do you still hear the term Emergency brake. Maybe that is why I don't use mine often! I have very few emergencies:smile:

14. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

#14 ItsNotAboutTheMoney, Jul 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
    When I learned to drive in the UK, I naturally learned to drive stick and was taught always to put the hand brake on when stopped. To me it's still the hand brake. Of course, my Prius has the parking brake on the left foot*. As a result of these two things I often refer to it as the "foot brake", which is obviously a really stupid thing to call it.

I think that even several years after my parents (in the UK) got DVRs they would still ask someone to "video" a show. (Would be like saying "tape" here.)

As a contrast to outdated, there's a noticeable shift in people using "keyless entry" to mean "buttonless entry" because "keyless entry" is considered the norm.

* The Prius owner DVD advises you to set it when you come to a stop. I do use it and use it so instinctively it annoys my wife. Due to the rubber piece falling off it and the fact that when depressed it's well out of the way of your foot it has also made two different garage techs be unable to find it and move the car.

15. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

And make sure you pay attention to the tachometer. Really important to monitor the engines RPM's. Red lined anyone?

16. stacyh3

stacyh3 Member

I love language games, so threads like this make me chuckle. One of my favorites is that we still sat "tape" when we mean "record." Mom: "Did you tape that show last night?" Me: "Yes mom, I RECORDED it." Mom: "Shut up smart@--, you know what I meant!" ALL: laughing!

17. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

And we still film things.

How about "crank up the window"?

18. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Can safely say that I've never once said that :)

19. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

'Video a show' can't be propered.
    --

20. c041v

c041v Member