Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Outdated Terminology

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe so. But when someone says "dial this number" or "dial" me up sometime; you don't reply: "I cant, I don't have a rotary phone."

Sheesh! That's my point. Someone was criticized for saying "roll up the window" and I was just pointing out that sometimes the old terminology based on the old technology sticks around. If we never had rotary dial phones, people would probably have said "enter" the phone number or "punch in" the phone number. For years people "dialed" phones and so the term carried over to today.

how else would you say it?
I was chuckling at the outdated terminology of "rolling down window", not at your use of it. :)

I usually say open or lower, but sometimes roll as well. Regardless of the actual mechanism inside, from a driver/passenger perspective very few actually "roll" the windows down except in collector or almost-dead vehicles.

- - - Updated - - -

Sheesh! That's my point. Someone was criticized for saying "roll up the window" and I was just pointing out that sometimes the old terminology based on the old technology sticks around. If we never had rotary dial phones, people would probably have said "enter" the phone number or "punch in" the phone number. For years people "dialed" phones and so the term carried over to today.
Hey, if you're going to reference someone's post in defending yourself please get the facts straight. I chuckled because it made me laugh when I read his post. I wasn't criticizing.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe so. But when someone says "dial this number" or "dial" me up sometime; you don't reply: "I cant, I don't have a rotary phone."
I'm totally doing that next time someone asks me to dial.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, if you're going to reference someone's post in defending yourself please get the facts straight. I chuckled because it made me laugh when I read his post. I wasn't criticizing.

Sorry, "criticize" is not what I meant. I really just meant that is was commented on, and I was responding to the "how else would you say it" response. I'll know better to stay out of conversations regarding colloquial terminology in future. :wink:

How often do you still hear the term Emergency brake. Maybe that is why I don't use mine often! I have very few emergencies:smile:

When I learned to drive in the UK, I naturally learned to drive stick and was taught always to put the hand brake on when stopped. To me it's still the hand brake. Of course, my Prius has the parking brake on the left foot*. As a result of these two things I often refer to it as the "foot brake", which is obviously a really stupid thing to call it.

I think that even several years after my parents (in the UK) got DVRs they would still ask someone to "video" a show. (Would be like saying "tape" here.)

As a contrast to outdated, there's a noticeable shift in people using "keyless entry" to mean "buttonless entry" because "keyless entry" is considered the norm.

* The Prius owner DVD advises you to set it when you come to a stop. I do use it and use it so instinctively it annoys my wife. Due to the rubber piece falling off it and the fact that when depressed it's well out of the way of your foot it has also made two different garage techs be unable to find it and move the car.

Last edited:
I love language games, so threads like this make me chuckle. One of my favorites is that we still sat "tape" when we mean "record." Mom: "Did you tape that show last night?" Me: "Yes mom, I RECORDED it." Mom: "Shut up smart@--, you know what I meant!" ALL: laughing!