TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Outdoor 14-50 outlet installation success

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Chris TX, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

I've recently installed this box at our fish camp. The quality is great, but you can't close the door with the UMC plugged in, which I don't see as a big deal. Although, I might make an extension to push the door out a few inches to make that possible.

Connecticut Electric CESMPS54HR 50-Amps/120240-Volt RV Power Outlet - Amazon.com

It's mounted about a foot away from the breaker box directly to the power pole using PVC conduit and some leftover 6/3 from running the house's garage outlet.
    81STTiNtlZL._SL1500_.jpg

A+, Would buy again.

2. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

3. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

I saw that Eaton box, but the large opening at the bottom when not in use just screams "wasp nest". And since this is a site that gets visited only every few months, the last thing I want to do after getting there is to open it up to that kind of surprise. The CE enclosure only has a small square that I've put a piece of PVC pipe over. The outlet is recessed enough into the box to provide cover from rain, so I'm not worried too much.

4. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

I can understand the wasp concern, although I can say that in the roughly 10 I've installed, I haven't come across a wasp nest in there yet. Just a preference, I've used a couple of the Connecticut boxes too. Given the wasp problems I have, I keep about 5 or 6 cans of killer handy. :)

5. tezco

tezco Sig P85

I got tired of the wasp nests in my outdoor boxes so now I roll up some paper towels that I close behind the door. These block the slot at the bottom. No more wasps (except in the door panels of the ICE cars that I don't drive much anymore!)