TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Outdoor charger enclosure

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by Wirenut, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Wirenut

Wirenut New Member

Hey guys. I am a licensed electrician. I have installed many Tesla outlets in garages and many EVSE's outdoors. But never a Tesla outlet outdoors.

Normally when installing an EVSE outdoors if the customer chooses one with a plug factory installed I just install a metal RV outlet enclosure with in-use cover. This works well and is more rugged than a standard outdoor outlet style box.

However, the Tesla charger has a very long right angle plug which sticks out pretty far, and would prevent the cover from closing. Not only would it allow rain in, but it might also cause it to fail inspection if the inspector wants to see it plugged in.

So I was wondering if anyone here had an idea for an outdoor enclosure to house the NEMA 14-50 outlet while allowing the cover to close around the Tesla plug?

2. Ponsonby Britt

3. Wirenut

Wirenut New Member

So apparently I came to the right place, I see that I'm not the first person to have this issue. Thanks for the link! I like the idea, but I wish I could find something factory built and less customized.

4. Ponsonby Britt

I am also doing an outside install. My condo association will not allow an exposed outlet, and will not trust that the box will always be locked. So, I am installing a Tesla Wall Connector. Is that an option for your install?

5. Wirenut

Wirenut New Member

I doubt they would want the added expense of the Wall Connector. They seemed to like the idea of only needing an outlet and not an EVSE like the other electric cars.

6. miimura

miimura Active Member

They could also buy one of the Corded Mobile Connectors that uses a low profile NEMA 14-50 plug instead of the adapter system. That should work with the boxes you're used to installing.

7. Wirenut

Wirenut New Member

Thanks, that's nice too, but rather expensive. It seems as if the only difference between that and the mobile connector that they get with the car is the low profile plug. I'll present them with the options so far and see what they say.