Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Outdoor charger enclosure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys. I am a licensed electrician. I have installed many Tesla outlets in garages and many EVSE's outdoors. But never a Tesla outlet outdoors.

Normally when installing an EVSE outdoors if the customer chooses one with a plug factory installed I just install a metal RV outlet enclosure with in-use cover. This works well and is more rugged than a standard outdoor outlet style box.

However, the Tesla charger has a very long right angle plug which sticks out pretty far, and would prevent the cover from closing. Not only would it allow rain in, but it might also cause it to fail inspection if the inspector wants to see it plugged in.

So I was wondering if anyone here had an idea for an outdoor enclosure to house the NEMA 14-50 outlet while allowing the cover to close around the Tesla plug?

I am also doing an outside install. My condo association will not allow an exposed outlet, and will not trust that the box will always be locked. So, I am installing a Tesla Wall Connector. Is that an option for your install?

They could also buy one of the Corded Mobile Connectors that uses a low profile NEMA 14-50 plug instead of the adapter system. That should work with the boxes you're used to installing.
Thanks, that's nice too, but rather expensive. It seems as if the only difference between that and the mobile connector that they get with the car is the low profile plug. I'll present them with the options so far and see what they say.

8F6063E0-2A1C-487B-8D1E-019AC41A831F.jpeg DD7965B3-BCE3-47D5-B64C-14C955D470A8.jpeg

This has worked fine for me and is lockable.