Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Outdoor Chargers UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jayc

Mar 28, 2016
UK
Anyone here based in the UK and starting to look at charging options?

I am considering getting a chargepoint installed onto the outside wall of my garage and was wondering which type would be best.

Ideally, I should be thinking of cleaning up the junk inside the garage and installing chargpoint inside but the dimensions of garages here mean it would not be practical to park inside garage on a daily basis without damaging the doors trying to squeeze out of the car.

For an external charge-point ideally, it should be safe enough so that children playing would not get electrocuted accidentally or for the house to go up in flames due to sabotage.

I posted a similar request in the Model S forum but didn't get clear-cut answers.

Outdoor chargers are pretty standard....think of RV chargers which are 30A or 50A. SImilar to what you get with a Tesla charger. These are safe. I have not seen the tesla chargers up close, but many receptacles have a safety cover built into it that automatically engages when you pull it out of the charger port so you cant just touch it and get shocked.

Get onto SpeakEV.com (mainly UK forums) and look for some of the advertisers in the banners (can't remember the exact name but know one of the guys is called Thomas Newby who comes recommended. But I'd hang on, with the Model S Tesla is currently providing 2 x vouchers for a 32A commando socket install. Might not do it for 3, but maybe something, like a discount.

What you want is a 32A single phase untethered type 2 charge point. They're all IP43 rated so rain proof. You get a grant from the government towards it... but as actual ordering is so far away who knows what it will be in future. You can't get the grant until you have an order in progress as you need either a VIN or REG number. Rolec is a popular option, which I also have, but I can't recommend any more and mine has just cracked at the top - from 18 months of use! I think it was fitted incorrectly and has been putting strain on the casing, but still! It's also a bit noisy when the car calls for power there's a clunk clunk.