Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Outdoor Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally brought my Tesla home last Thursday and the long period of waiting has finally paid off. However - I didn't see, probably either because I'm bad at searching or it's just not common - many posts about outdoor charging. I'm doing it now, though I did have a couple questions about how others are doing it.

I don't have a garage, and have a shared driveway (wtf, 1950s, why) so I knew moving in I'd want to build an off-driveway parking spot. After a couple of revisions I ended up with a paver ramp leading to a gravel parking pad. (Redoing the back yard is part of the long-term plan, with pavers eventually going over the full yard, but that's long term.)

Had an outdoor NEMA 14-50 installed in a weatherproof enclosure, and I've been running my UMC from there ever since. I'm thinking I'll probably grab a second without the swappable plugs, and leave it in a weatherproof deck box out here plugged in - anyone done so and had problems? Saves me having to pop the trunk when I get home, and having to unplug/replug the UMC every day, which isn't amazing.

Now I just need to finish shoveling a ton of gravel :(

HozPWPE.png

@NovemberXray Mostly I don't want to re-wire it for the HPWC - now that I've got the NEMA 14-50 in there. Plus, I'm not sure switching to the HPWC would really get me anything, no? It's wired for 50A service, and I don't have dual chargers onboard.
The HPWC is rated for outdoor use, that would maybe be the main benefit..?

The HPWC is a much better value than a second UMC.

The HPWC is much heavier duty, so it may live longer, and is available with a longer 24' cord. It is adjustable for any size circuit down to 15 Amps all the way up to 100 Amps. No problem using it on the same 50 Amp circuit currently wired to your 14-50. Hardwired connections are also a bit more reliable than a 14-50 plug and outlet.

The HPWC will also be better if you ever add a second Tesla with its sharing feature, and may be better than the UMC for use in your next home when you move.

GSP

I don't have experience with one, but I'd do it. It's still just a few wires, and don't forget to set the jumper.
I'd definitely buy the wall connector over the extra UMC, and I'm extra frugal. Outdoor rated, more rugged, won't heat up like the UMC at 40A, etc.

We park our Tesla outdoors and have the HPWC mounted outside of our garage. Its on the same line as a 14-50 which is inside the garage. Longer term parking inside uses the UMC and 14-50 where as daily over night parking uses the HPWC.

I second all comments abut the HPWC being a robust and well designed unit. You will appreciate it after a few years when the plug end is scuffed and scratched and the cable is heavier than required for 40 amp charging. It's meant to last.

As mentioned in another thread we keep the UMC and adapters always in the car for any remote or emergency charging requirements. The HPWC is our daily use fixture. It's also convenient for other Teslas that may need a charge even if we are not at home.

Sharing is good.

We park our Tesla outdoors and have the HPWC mounted outside of our garage. Its on the same line as a 14-50 which is inside the garage. Longer term parking inside uses the UMC and 14-50 where as daily over night parking uses the HPWC.

I second all comments abut the HPWC being a robust and well designed unit. You will appreciate it after a few years when the plug end is scuffed and scratched and the cable is heavier than required for 40 amp charging. It's meant to last.

As mentioned in another thread we keep the UMC and adapters always in the car for any remote or emergency charging requirements. The HPWC is our daily use fixture. It's also convenient for other Teslas that may need a charge even if we are not at home.

Sharing is good.

+I have the HPWC mounted outdoors too. It's nicely made / robust.
I keep the UMC in the car.

I'm one who argues with people here who always say everyone always needs to get a wall connector no matter what, because I'm not a fan of throwing money away for no reason. BUT, if you are already planning to buy another of SOMETHING, then yes, you should definitely get a wall connector to mount there instead of a second UMC, since they are almost the same price.

Hang on. Maybe I'm an idiot - but are you saying i could hook up, essentially, a plug to the HPWC and then plug it into my existing NEMA 14-50?

Have people done that, and does it work? That'd be perfect (once i have the disposable cash for an HPWC.)
Yes, I have done that. I had the electrician install 14-50s on both sides of the garage. I bought a 50 amps electric range cord and wired it to the HPWC so I can move it easily if I want.
This is not officially supported but my building inspector passed it.
Of course, set the HPWC to 40 amps.

Hang on. Maybe I'm an idiot - but are you saying i could hook up, essentially, a plug to the HPWC and then plug it into my existing NEMA 14-50?

Have people done that, and does it work? That'd be perfect (once i have the disposable cash for an HPWC.)

The same effort to hard wire wall connector directly, so unless you need to move wall connector, I would recommend just wiring it directly.

PS. Here is an example of a wiring kit that should work IMO ($16)

DiversiTech Corporation 6346NM 3/4x6' #8 THHN Wire-Non-Metallic Connectors at Controls Central

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Jeffcm3
Finally brought my Tesla home last Thursday and the long period of waiting has finally paid off. However - I didn't see, probably either because I'm bad at searching or it's just not common - many posts about outdoor charging. I'm doing it now, though I did have a couple questions about how others are doing it.

I don't have a garage, and have a shared driveway (wtf, 1950s, why) so I knew moving in I'd want to build an off-driveway parking spot. After a couple of revisions I ended up with a paver ramp leading to a gravel parking pad. (Redoing the back yard is part of the long-term plan, with pavers eventually going over the full yard, but that's long term.)

Had an outdoor NEMA 14-50 installed in a weatherproof enclosure, and I've been running my UMC from there ever since. I'm thinking I'll probably grab a second without the swappable plugs, and leave it in a weatherproof deck box out here plugged in - anyone done so and had problems? Saves me having to pop the trunk when I get home, and having to unplug/replug the UMC every day, which isn't amazing.

Now I just need to finish shoveling a ton of gravel :(

HozPWPE.png
I am wondering how your setup has worked out for you, particulary keeping the UMC outside in a deck box plugged in. Your post gave me the idea to do the same.

I have been keeping my UMC plugged in outside completely exposed to the elements. If worked fine for about three weeks but then after a severe rainstorm the UMC no longer works.

I am wondering how your setup has worked out for you, particulary keeping the UMC outside in a deck box plugged in. Your post gave me the idea to do the same.

I have been keeping my UMC plugged in outside completely exposed to the elements. If worked fine for about three weeks but then after a severe rainstorm the UMC no longer works.
The HPWC is designed for outdoor installation, the UMC not so much.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H