TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Outdoor NEMA 14-50 install. Advice?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by RobW2428, Nov 5, 2016.

1. RobW2428

RobW2428 Member

Hey,

I'm meeting with an electrician today to talk over installing an outdoor NEMA 14-50 outlet for charging my Model S. It'll either be completely out in the open or partially covered by the edge of a car port. Either way, it'll get a lot of wind/rain because we're just a few hundred feet from the ocean in a very windy part of North Carolina. Lots of northeasters will be hitting it.

Any advice on the best way to protect the outlet? I won't be using it too often because I'll either not be at the house or I'll be there during the summer when I don't drive too much, so I don't mind putting it inside some sort of covering. Maybe even with a lock.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any help,
    Rob

2. Dstrohl

Dstrohl Member

There are a number of options for outdoor outlets... (Shop Eaton 30-Amp Overhead or Underground Temporary Power Panel at Lowes.com), as well as some people who have built boxes and enclosures around them.

If you are going to USE the outlet during inclement weather, you might consider building something that can keep the plug AND cord out of the weather, not that the cord isn't weatherproof, but it's nicer to not have it all wet or icy when handling it. If nothing else, a housing or bot to keep enough of the outlet and plug covered when it is plugged in would be good.

In your case though, a standard outdoor housing is probably finde(like the one I linked to)

As to a lock, many (most?) outdoor rated boxes have loops for locks if you want them.

3. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

Link above is the 30A version. You will want the 40A version, but in any case that's the correct idea. I just put one in at my house, immediately under the breaker box. Piece of cake.

I would start with that and then build some sort of protective cover over it - either a roof or even some sort of hatch. Just replace it every few years if it gets excessively rusty.

There is also something like this: 16x14x6 Inch Non-Powered Weatherproof NB Series Enclosures You could cut a notch in the bottom to allow the cable to pass out. But you would have to mount a proper outlet in a proper box inside it.

4. RobW2428

RobW2428 Member

Thanks guys. The first link is very similar to other boxes we have near the same spot. They get rusty pretty quickly from beach spray. Might try the non-metal one.

5. Dstrohl

Dstrohl Member

Oops, sorry about that... I shoudl have paid more attention, though hopefully the electrician that Rob is using wont make that mistake :)

Yup, I looked at something like that myself.

6. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

Since this is basically what every RV campground uses, should not be much of a push. Why not use those search terms when looking for an enclosure.

7. hareleyman

hareleyman Member

Just met with my Electrician too! However we decided to go with the Tesla "Wall Connector", hard wired and permanently mounted to the garage outside wall. Know that it is a bit more expensive, however with the NEMA 14-50, one has to drag out your cables & adaptors each time you pug in at your home base, plus the thought these cables could get stolen while you are not plugged in, unless you coil them up and put them in your car every time you unplug.

8. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

Agree this is the best approach. I've seen images of these mounted in or next to waterproof enclosures as well to keep the costs protected when not in use.

9. Hammer@OR.US

[​IMG]

• Like x 2
  10. Joelc

Joelc Member

I bought this outdoor rated 14-50 outlet and enclosure, but in the end I did the same thing and installed a HPWC instead.
    Since the HPWC is mounted outside of the house and away from the service panel I had to purchase and install a disconnect switch next to it.

More than I wanted to spend but overall it looks and functionally better than the mobile charger just hanging outside of the house.

11. RobW2428

RobW2428 Member

Thanks again to everyone. Meeting with electrician went well. Reason we aren't doing HPWC is that this is a beach house, not our primary home and so we won't be charging that often. The cord will live in the car and just get pulled out every so often.

Back home we're doing HPWC.