Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Outdoor NEMA 14-50 install. Advice?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey,

I'm meeting with an electrician today to talk over installing an outdoor NEMA 14-50 outlet for charging my Model S. It'll either be completely out in the open or partially covered by the edge of a car port. Either way, it'll get a lot of wind/rain because we're just a few hundred feet from the ocean in a very windy part of North Carolina. Lots of northeasters will be hitting it.

Any advice on the best way to protect the outlet? I won't be using it too often because I'll either not be at the house or I'll be there during the summer when I don't drive too much, so I don't mind putting it inside some sort of covering. Maybe even with a lock.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Rob

Reactions: AtAge19
There are a number of options for outdoor outlets... (Shop Eaton 30-Amp Overhead or Underground Temporary Power Panel at Lowes.com), as well as some people who have built boxes and enclosures around them.

If you are going to USE the outlet during inclement weather, you might consider building something that can keep the plug AND cord out of the weather, not that the cord isn't weatherproof, but it's nicer to not have it all wet or icy when handling it. If nothing else, a housing or bot to keep enough of the outlet and plug covered when it is plugged in would be good.

In your case though, a standard outdoor housing is probably finde(like the one I linked to)

As to a lock, many (most?) outdoor rated boxes have loops for locks if you want them.

Link above is the 30A version. You will want the 40A version, but in any case that's the correct idea. I just put one in at my house, immediately under the breaker box. Piece of cake.

I would start with that and then build some sort of protective cover over it - either a roof or even some sort of hatch. Just replace it every few years if it gets excessively rusty.

There is also something like this: 16x14x6 Inch Non-Powered Weatherproof NB Series Enclosures You could cut a notch in the bottom to allow the cable to pass out. But you would have to mount a proper outlet in a proper box inside it.

Link above is the 30A version

Oops, sorry about that... I shoudl have paid more attention, though hopefully the electrician that Rob is using wont make that mistake :)

There is also something like this: 16x14x6 Inch Non-Powered Weatherproof NB Series Enclosures You could cut a notch in the bottom to allow the cable to pass out. But you would have to mount a proper outlet in a proper box inside it.

Yup, I looked at something like that myself.

Thanks guys. The first link is very similar to other boxes we have near the same spot. They get rusty pretty quickly from beach spray. Might try the non-metal one.
Just met with my Electrician too! However we decided to go with the Tesla "Wall Connector", hard wired and permanently mounted to the garage outside wall. Know that it is a bit more expensive, however with the NEMA 14-50, one has to drag out your cables & adaptors each time you pug in at your home base, plus the thought these cables could get stolen while you are not plugged in, unless you coil them up and put them in your car every time you unplug.

Just met with my Electrician too! However we decided to go with the Tesla "Wall Connector", hard wired and permanently mounted to the garage outside wall. Know that it is a bit more expensive, however with the NEMA 14-50, one has to drag out your cables & adaptors each time you pug in at your home base, plus the thought these cables could get stolen while you are not plugged in, unless you coil them up and put them in your car every time you unplug.

Agree this is the best approach. I've seen images of these mounted in or next to waterproof enclosures as well to keep the costs protected when not in use.

26072846911_d7515d91ec.jpg

I bought this outdoor rated 14-50 outlet and enclosure, but in the end I did the same thing and installed a HPWC instead.
Since the HPWC is mounted outside of the house and away from the service panel I had to purchase and install a disconnect switch next to it.

More than I wanted to spend but overall it looks and functionally better than the mobile charger just hanging outside of the house.

Hi Everyone, There are many forums about Nema 14-50 on this site and I wanted to give back what I did after reading several on installing outside charger.
I ended up installing Nema 14-50 instead of the $500 tesla charger as the charge rate difference is not significant but the cost is. I had it installed with a friend who has an electrician background.:
I bought:
1- $33:Outdoor Nema 14-50 outlet from home depot (says cooper on the outlet plastic itself)GE 50 Amp Temporary RV Power Outlet-U054P - The Home Depot
2-Needed 75 ft of AWG 6/3 Southwire got it from North east electric supplies (local electric store) $120. Much more expensive at home depot.
3-50 Amp circuit breaker around $10
4-$5 Screw clamps and other fasteners to fix the wire to the walls inside and the Panel box.
5-$13 Mounting block that I had to cut etc.. Ply Gem 12.6 in x 7.8 in White Large Mounting Block-FMBLKH04H - The Home Depot

The total is close to $180 in Material but it took around 3-4 hours to install.
20181111_161347.jpg 20181111_161343.jpg .

Tesla wall charger quote with install was for $1500.
Happy with 30 Miles per hour charge.

Reactions: DanInSunnyFL
This is such a cool idea! Where did you get your enclosure and how big is it?
That actually isn't my installation, I just found it on the internet. Here is a link to the manufacturer page that shows the specs. The notch for the cord needs to be cut in.
Cooper B-Line - 12106 RHC
You probably cant get it at big box home improvement stores but any electrical supply house should be able to order it. I found it online here:
Cooper B-Line 12106 RHC | North Coast Electric