Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Outdoor NEMA 14-50 outlet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm getting a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed at my dad's house for the few times a month we are there to visit. The main breaker box is outside towards the back side of his house, and he already got an outdoor 60amp subpanel installed (up to code with GFCI fuse) there as well. My Model Y can drive into the backyard easily so the 14-50 outlet will be located next to the subpanel. I'll be plugging in my Tesla Mobile Connector to the outlet with a 14-50 adapter for the mobile connector. He doesn't have an EV so this is solely for me to use when I'm visiting.

My plan is to order a Bryant 9450FR 14-50 outlet, but was wondering what you guys recommend for wall plate or outdoor enclosure to finish this installation?

Reactions: Big Earl
I have this mounted to the outside of my detached garage. Conduit comes from above and down, though this box can accept power from top, bottom, or back (through the wall).

Midwest Electric Products 50 Amp Temporary RV Power Outlet
SKU# 100193650

I originally was going to use a metallic double gang weather proof box with extension ring and in use cover, but this ended up costing less, and had way more space inside to work 3 number 6 wires, and an 8 gauge ground.

If and when the blades of this outlet wear out, you can drill out the rivets and install your own higher quality 14-50 outlet.

Note: you'll need a rain proof hub to make your conduit connection, or use a hub cover, if using other entry methods.

GE 1-1/2 in. Hub
SKU# 202046211

Last edited:
Pics are slightly out of order, but you'll see that I started with the double gang box idea, and after that plug melted, I went with the metallic RV cover/assembly.

I should have started with the RV power outlet to begin with. Would have saved me hours of headache.

Attachments

• IMG_20220531_203213.jpg
    IMG_20220531_203213.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 1,920
  • IMG_20220531_203210.jpg
    IMG_20220531_203210.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 889
  • IMG_20220531_203212.jpg
    IMG_20220531_203212.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 875
  • IMG_20220531_203224.jpg
    IMG_20220531_203224.jpg
    324.5 KB · Views: 942
  • IMG_20220531_203223.jpg
    IMG_20220531_203223.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 1,383
  • IMG_20220531_203221.jpg
    IMG_20220531_203221.jpg
    497.6 KB · Views: 833
  • IMG_20220531_203220.jpg
    IMG_20220531_203220.jpg
    453.7 KB · Views: 845
  • IMG_20220531_203218.jpg
    IMG_20220531_203218.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 855
  • IMG_20220531_203217.jpg
    IMG_20220531_203217.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 839
  • IMG_20220531_203215.jpg
    IMG_20220531_203215.jpg
    333.6 KB · Views: 878
Also if you're using a 14-50, it has to be connected to a 50 amp breaker. Even if you're using #4 wire to carry 48a continuous.

mine is a 50A GFCI breaker, and while not technically required for "RV USE", I am connected to a 100' 50 amp extension cord, and I didn't ever want to go outside and be electrocuted because the "outlet end" got wet.

I have this mounted to the outside of my detached garage. Conduit comes from above and down, though this box can accept power from top, bottom, or back (through the wall).

Midwest Electric Products 50 Amp Temporary RV Power Outlet
SKU# 100193650

Thanks this is exactly what I'm looking for. I want to pair this up with a Bryant 9450FR 14-50 outlet, and it seems that I should be able to remove the included receptacle and install the Bryant 9450FR 14-50 outlet instead? Also it looks like no need for a cover plating with this approach, as opposed to an indoor setup?

I am not an electrician, but this might work for you.

This enclosure meets your needs, yes.

Since it is covered, it is generally acceptable for outdoor use. I wouldn't go pressure washing it though.

The thing I did notice though. Is that it seems to have the rivets off to the side (top left, bottom right) and do not necessarily match the standard 6 hole pattern on NEMA Outlets.

However the two rivet holes might line up with the 6 smaller holes that are closer to the center of the outlet.
Screenshot_20220531-232329_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Though If you popped the rivets I wouldn't know which screws you'd need to have the hubbell fit this enclosure (it does seem to have a little extra space around the center so it should fit).

If and when my receptacle fails, I plan to replace it with the hubbell as well.

I am not an electrician, but this might work for you.

This enclosure meets your needs, yes.

Since it is covered, it is generally acceptable for outdoor use. I wouldn't go pressure washing it though.

The thing I did notice though. Is that it seems to have the rivets off to the side (top left, bottom right) and do not necessarily match the standard 6 hole pattern on NEMA Outlets.

However the two rivet holes might line up with the 6 smaller holes that are closer to the center of the outlet.

Though If you popped the rivets I wouldn't know which screws you'd need to have the hubbell fit this enclosure (it does seem to have a little extra space around the center so it should fit).

If and when my receptacle fails, I plan to replace it with the hubbell as well.

Thanks for the suggestion ambudriver03. The enclosure is perfect for my 2-3x / month charging need. My dad is an electrician as well, so he can definitely change out the standard receptacle to an industrial one. He wanted me to pick out the parts I wanted so that's why I am shopping around. This route is much cheaper than the Tesla Wall Charger ($400) for something I will use only a few times a month.

I'm getting a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed at my dad's house for the few times a month we are there to visit. The main breaker box is outside towards the back side of his house, and he already got an outdoor 60amp subpanel installed (up to code with GFCI fuse) there as well. My Model Y can drive into the backyard easily so the 14-50 outlet will be located next to the subpanel. I'll be plugging in my Tesla Mobile Connector to the outlet with a 14-50 adapter for the mobile connector. He doesn't have an EV so this is solely for me to use when I'm visiting.

My plan is to order a Bryant 9450FR 14-50 outlet, but was wondering what you guys recommend for wall plate or outdoor enclosure to finish this installation?
Any luck finding an enclosure that fits the Bryant outlet? I bought the outdoor enclosure from Midwest Electric Products from Home Depot, but the hole for the Bryant outlet is too small. It is only 2 1/4” wide instead of 2 1/2” like the Bryant requires. I could drill out the hole to make it bigger, but I’d rather find something else. I’ll update if I eventually find one.

I am a licensed electrician and specialize in EVSE installs. A couple issues here. First, I highly recommend a hardwire installation. You really need a commercial grade outlet as there has been considerable accounts of overheating and potential fire hazard. An outlet then requires the extra cost of a neutral wire and in most places a gfci breaker. My cost for installation has just jumped a few hundred $. Also for an exterior install, the RV enclosures that are being promoted are designed for the cheaper, smaller 14-50 receptacle. The plate will not accept the larger diameter commercial grade. In the long run, a hardwired install is cheaper, safer, and provides a higher output.

I'd keep in mind that the mobile connector isn't rated to be weather resistant in the same way that the wall connector is. I'd be leery of using it when it's actually raining, or if the body of the mobile connector were hanging in snow or a puddle. I suppose if you have to drive into a backyard through grass then you might be unlikely to use it in those conditions, anyway.

If this were a permanent install, I'd encourage a protective enclosure that can hold the body of the MC, but since this is occasional, you can probably just avoid very wet conditions.

Reactions: alexgr
I'd keep in mind that the mobile connector isn't rated to be weather resistant in the same way that the wall connector is. I'd be leery of using it when it's actually raining, or if the body of the mobile connector were hanging in snow or a puddle. I suppose if you have to drive into a backyard through grass then you might be unlikely to use it in those conditions, anyway.

If this were a permanent install, I'd encourage a protective enclosure that can hold the body of the MC, but since this is occasional, you can probably just avoid very wet conditions.
I wonder if it is say to use the included charger connected to a 14-50 inside the garage and then going under the garage door to the vehicle outside. I'm thinking about connections for the future Cybertruck.

Don't tell that to my mobile connector which has been hanging from a 16-amp 240v outdoor outlet since March 2019! We get lots of rain, but it's hanging from the plug instead of laying on the ground, so water can't pool around it.

• Informative
Reactions: DuncanM