Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Outrageous $5000 repair bill after warranty expire!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you have the ac recharged in 2018. Current AC systems loose 10% of the chemical every year because the molecule is so small. Once you go below 80% you are risking destroying the pump.

Recharging the AC every 2 years and checking the break fluid quality every 2 years are the only preventative maintenance that you have to do on Tesla’s now. I do not think Tesla is communicating this aggressively enough. There should be a maintenance pop up that only a technician can clear since not doing that is a $5000 mistake.

If you did recharge the system at the 2 year mark then this is worrying for the quality of the ac pump.
It's R134a i.e. 1,1,1,2-tetrafluoroethane which has been in use since the 1990s when it began to replace R-12. If you lose refrigerant you will notice reduction in cooling capacity long before the compressor is damaged if it is ever damaged.
If ecopsider5 is talking about R134a, then that's complete BS. I had an 06 Prius that I bought new in Jan 2006 and sold in Feb 2019. It has never had an AC recharge. The AC (has an electric compressor) still works fine. I don't recall any maintenance interval for recharging the AC. If there was, it certainly wasn't anywhere near that frequent.

From checking Priuschat, that generation of Prius (gen 2: 04 to 09) used R134a.

My '13 Leaf (built 5/2013, I bought it used in 2015 and is over 6 years old now) also uses R-134a, per the manual. I've checked the maintenance booklet which ends at 8 years and 120K miles. There's nothing in the schedule about recharging the AC. AC works fine.

jboy: I saw you brought up BMW a few times. That's part of why I don't buy BMWs or German cars. The joke about BMW is "Behold My Wallet" or "Broke My Wallet". Their reliability is spotty and maintenance and repair costs can be very high. Until my most recent purchase (still not German), I've tried to stick to Japanese brands where the model has average or better than average reliability year after year.

Maybe 2 years ago, I finally replaced the lightly seeping engine water pump on my Prius (you could see a bit of coolant crust around the pulley). Had been like this for years. I went to an independent garage.

Someone else at my work had their Audi A3 engine water pump completely fail (most coolant leaking out in short order) at around 30K miles but past warranty due to time. I wish I remember the numbers, but IIRC, the cost for her at an independent garage (cheaper than dealer) was on the order of 3x the cost of what it cost me.

Last edited:
If ecopsider5 is talking about R134a, then that's complete BS. I had an 06 Prius that I bought new in Jan 2006 and sold in Feb 2019. It has never had an AC recharge. The AC (has an electric compressor) still works fine. I don't recall any maintenance interval for recharging the AC. If there was, it certainly wasn't anywhere near that frequent.

From checking Priuschat, that generation of Prius (gen 2: 04 to 09) used R134a.

My '13 Leaf (built 5/2013, I bought it used in 2015 and is over 6 years old now) also uses R-134a, per the manual. I've checked the maintenance booklet which ends at 8 years and 120K miles. There's nothing in the schedule about recharging the AC. AC works fine.

jboy: I saw you brought up BMW a few times. That's part of why I don't buy BMWs or German cars. The joke about BMW is "Behold My Wallet" or "Broke My Wallet". Their reliability is spotty and maintenance and repair costs can be very high. Until my most recent purchase (still not German), I've tried to stick to Japanese brands where the model has average or better than average reliability year after year.

Maybe 2 years ago, I finally replaced the lightly seeping engine water pump on my Prius (you could see a bit of coolant crust around the pulley). Had been like this for years. I went to an independent garage.

Someone else at my work had their Audi A3 engine water pump completely fail (most coolant leaking out in short order) at around 30K miles but past warranty due to time. I wish I remember the numbers, but IIRC, the cost for her at an independent garage (cheaper than dealer) was on the order of 3x the cost of what it cost me.

My last car was one of the last to use R-12 and I put off doing the AC refrigerant conversion for many years. I think I finally had it done around 2006-2008 when the R-12 finally ran out. The AC worked fine once converted and recharged. In fact it was so efficient at first the unit would ice up after driving with the AC on for more than about 1/2 an hour. They did a tweak and it worked fine until I sold the car in 2016. The AC was still working fine then.

But that car was indestructible, the last time I had the transmission serviced the mechanic said it looked new inside. The car was around 20 then. It was 24 when I sold it.

I just thought back further about my car history and cars with R134a that I kept for a long time. I had an 04 Nissan 350Z (supposedly uses R134a) from Sept 2003 until around July 2011. AC had never been recharged nor did it ever need any work on the AC. AC still worked fine when I sold it.

My mother's 07 Nissan Altima Hybrid (also R134a) and w/electric AC compressor bought new in early 08 has never needed AC work AFAIK. AC still works fine.

BTW, thanks to the person who pointed out looking at the estimate in the OP.

Last edited:
Performance Teslas depreciate faster than non-P cars, but compare the depreciation of a Model S to other cars that cost the same. Teslas depreciate slower than other expensive European luxury cars. At least in the US. My 2016 Model S is still worth somewhere in the $60K range, but 2017 BMW 7 series are under $60K and the 2016s are all around 445K on Autotrader. There is a 2019 740i for $49K (probably something wrong with it).

Reactions: MXWing
I spent $6,500 in the last 6-months repairing non-warranty covered parts in my $96,000 S. All the repairs stem from supposed electrical faults that happened after I started firmware updates. I went to the Seattle service center and asked for help finding a setting on the touchscreen. They told me to leave my vehicle. The next day they said I needed multiple window and door regulators. The Seattle service center replaced the $700 door regulators that were replaced the previous month and replaced regulators in windows and doors that have never malfunctioned. I was quoted $1,010. When I picked up my vehicle it was $1,995.21 which included $310 of diagnostics fee plus labor charges. The diagnostics fees combined with the standard hourly rate doubled the hourly labor rate.

Tesla Inc. in Fremont, CA, won't respond. Tesla Seattle WA won't respond and send the voice mail prompt system won't allow you to talk to a human. I was forced to make complaints with regulatory agencies, the Better Business Bureau and the state attorney general. I may join the class action suit against Tesla after I instantly lost 50 miles of range after I left the Seattle WA service center. Superchargers simultaneously stopped allowing me to charge above 80%. The massive 50 miles range loss plus the new 80% max charging limit have severely limited my ability to travel cross country, dramatically increased my charging time and increased my charging frequency.

I was an early adopter 5-star Tesla evangelist and Elon defender. I've given hundreds of test drives. Now, I'm a 0-star owner that regrets buying a Tesla, regrets trusting Elon, and is contemplating litigation. Only brands with 5-star customers survive. Tesla service centers and Tesla Business Compliance are creating an army of early adopter ex-evangelists who are now anti-Tesla. The people working in Tesla Business Compliance, and the Seattle service center managers, are destroying customer relationships and causing severe damage to the brand and the brand's future.

The Seattle waiting room was chaotic. I waited over an hour for my vehicle. The owner before me screamed about his invoice. There was a sleazy guy who said he didn't work for Tesla renting Teslas in the Tesla waiting room. He tried to rent a dirty Tesla to a new Model 3 owner and was charging her a $300 security deposit. Her new 3 arrived with crooked body panels and Seattle Tesla forced her to rent a Tesla instead of giving her a loaner.

We've canceled our plans to buy a semi, a truck and a 3. My sister canceled, based upon my experience, her Model 3 order. I'll never buy another Tesla. Tesla Business Compliance could have handled this issue appropriately and kept a 5-star evangelist, strengthened brand loyalty, and created a repeat buyer. Instead, Tesla Business Compliance, and the Seattle service center destroyed trust and belief in the brand.
If you want us to believe one of the most absurd service stories we've ever heard, you should at least try to back it up with some documentation. Especially if you're brand new to the forum with only six posts.

If ecopsider5 is talking about R134a, then that's complete BS.
These cars definitely use R134a (though the tree huggers are now saying that it should be replaced with other refrigerants). See my post at Charging Raven Long Range on HPWC in which there is a picture of the refrigerant service sticker from an X.

Now while looking for info on the extended warranty I came across maintenance recommendations for our cars. Tesla recommends replacement of the "dessicator" every 2 years in the S, every 4 years in the X and every 6 years in the 3. I don't really know what the "dessicator" is here. Ordinarily that would mean the filter/dryer to me but it might mean something else here. Changing out the filter/dryer is no simple task in an A/C system as the system has to be opened to do it and the component is usually brazed into place. Sometimes it is connected into the system with flare fittings and that would certainly simplify the job but vacuum equipment would be necessary to purge the new filter/dryer (and any lines between it an isolating valves) of air.

A little further research shows that automotive systems often have a dessicant bag which is probably what Tesla is talking about here. One auto parts store rates replacing this as an "easy" repair. Just recover the refrigerant, take the receiver apart, take out the old bag, put in the new one, reassemble, evacuate and recharge. I don't consider recovery, evacuation and recharging as being that simple but perhaps for a guy at a service center with the proper equipment it is.

Last edited:
If you want us to believe one of the most absurd service stories we've ever heard, you should at least try to back it up with some documentation. Especially if you're brand new to the forum with only six posts.

Find me a more absurd one. :)

Was going to buy a Semi but decided to cancel it...

Anything they ever say would be completely dismissed until they explain THAT one.

I’d slap my son in the face immediately if he was that bad a liar. Never lie, but if you do, at least be plausible about it.

You're buying insurance. I've bought my own health insurance since 1994 and I have never made a claim. My monthly premium is now more than my mortgage but I keep paying because I can't afford to lose everything if something bad happens. Same thing with the extended warranty. If you think you can afford the risk don't go for it, if you can't cough up for the extended warranty.

Strange analogy. Extended warranty also runs out at one point so you are on the hook for repairs after it runs out . Insurance is indefinite as long as you pay the premiums.

I didn't go for the extended warranty as I thought it was a lot of money. Strange things need to happen in order to recoup the premium.

Did you have the ac recharged in 2018. Current AC systems loose 10% of the chemical every year because the molecule is so small. Once you go below 80% you are risking destroying the pump.

Recharging the AC every 2 years and checking the break fluid quality every 2 years are the only preventative maintenance that you have to do on Tesla’s now. I do not think Tesla is communicating this aggressively enough. There should be a maintenance pop up that only a technician can clear since not doing that is a $5000 mistake.

If you did recharge the system at the 2 year mark then this is worrying for the quality of the ac pump.

I've seen some BS before but wow... I don't know who told you that but it's complete and total fiction... Right up there with "they have to tell you they're a cop" line...

Jeff

Reactions: brkaus and cwerdna
Strange analogy. Extended warranty also runs out at one point so you are on the hook for repairs after it runs out . Insurance is indefinite as long as you pay the premiums.

I didn't go for the extended warranty as I thought it was a lot of money. Strange things need to happen in order to recoup the premium.

The insurance is only available for another 4 years past the basic warranty, but it basically is insurance against car problems during that time. The analogy isn't perfect though.

We can get a rough estimate as to how much to expect to pay for repairs based on what Tesla charges for extended service. That's about $1200/year for the X. Thus it is evident that Tesla's cost to repair X's under this program is somewhat less than that, say $1000/year. Assuming they mark up their repair service 100% that means you could expect to pay around $2000/year on average and as failures tend to increase as the vehicle ages distribute that over the 4 year period as seems appropriate. Based on that thinking a $5000 repair doesn't seem to be that surprising even though it is outrageous. My reaction as a long time Toyota and Lexus SUV owner is hardly one of great surprise.

The problem is, tesla depreciate so fast. My 2016 tesla now only worth $60k in 3 years, from $110k

Not according to actual facts. Study: Tesla Model X and Model S continue to hold values better than rivals

upload_2019-8-24_10-27-21.png

Also had the A/C compressor fail for my late 2016 Model S, at about 25k miles (1 and 1/2 years of ownership), repaired under warranty. Also a couple of broken suspension parts front left and then right, the screen yellow border - got them all repaired or replaced under warranty.
I’m close to 50k miles, not yet sure if the extended warranty is a good option but tend to think for me it can be. The only thing is that it seems not to be available anymore on my online account, as someone told here before ... :( Maybe should call them to be sure if it’s off for good.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Also had the A/C compressor fail for my late 2016 Model S, at about 25k miles (1 and 1/2 years of ownership), repaired under warranty. Also a couple of broken suspension parts front left and then right, the screen yellow border - got them all repaired or replaced under warranty.
I’m close to 50k miles, not yet sure if the extended warranty is a good option but tend to think for me it can be. The only thing is that it seems not to be available anymore on my online account, as someone told here before ... :( Maybe should call them to be sure if it’s off for good.
Air suspension parts? What failed? Any theories why? My car is the same age with no problems yet...