TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Outside air smells with HVAC off/recirc

Discussion in 'Model S' started by rsg123, Apr 6, 2018.

1. rsg123

rsg123 Member

The weather in NorCal has been mild for the past month or so and I have been able to drive with the HVAC off. In my ICE car, driving with the HVAC off with recirculate mode on causes most outside smells (especially diesel smog) to be kept out. In my late 2014 85, many of these smells/smog enter the cabin quite easily with HVAC off. Is this normal?

2. Gixx1300R

Gixx1300R Member

When was the last time that you checked your cabin filter?

3. rsg123

rsg123 Member

It was changed during the 50k service which took place just before I bought it about 4 months/6k miles ago.
    Does air travel through the cabin air filter when HVAC is off?

4. Tdriver

Tdriver Member

Try turning the system on and spray some freshener/deodorant thru the front air intake.

5. murphyS90D

murphyS90D Member

If the car was completely sealed up you would use all of the oxygen in the cabin and suffocate. There has to be air flow through the car.

6. rsg123

rsg123 Member

How does this circulation happen with the hvac off—through the cabin air filter and vents?

7. rsg123

rsg123 Member

That would take care of a musty-type smell that’s embedded in the system but where’s the diesel exhaust getting into the cabin with the hvac off?