Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My parents bought a 80yo suburban farmhouse in 1955. I loved the oak shingles. When freshly painted, the cuts from the circular saw made them look brand new!
When I went back to look at the house, in 2010, I saw the new owners covered it in vinyl siding! UGH!
I see your beautiful roof as a middle finger to these philistines! Thanks. ;>

I think to run a 120V light outside there you'd either have to run a second circuit along side in the conduit from a single pole breaker back at the cabin or install a 240V sub panel out near the charger that contains a 240V, double pole circuit for the Wall Connector sitting next to the sub panel (on the backside of the pole in this case) then a 120V single breaker for the light which clearly would be an awful lot of work. The sub panel would look funny there too. That said, with a sub panel out there, you could install another breaker and have a 120V work outlet too (Ofc, use a GFCI breaker or outlet.) Then there would be sizing considerations for the sub panel feed if you ran the outlet and HPWC at the same time - Phew!

I like the idea of maintaining the darkness or if not, then a solar light along with the simplicity of the electrical setup you have done.

The copper is already beginning to develop the beginnings of a nice patina. I'm pretty pleased the initial weathering already has some blue color in it (particularly around the areas that some wet cedar leaves stuck:

20191127_130812c (2).jpg

I finished bending the copper ridge to fit and had a spell of dry weather to take some photos a week or two ago and have been meaning to post them here. Because of the way the A-frame roof tapers to a smaller area at the bottom, I found the copper flashing didn't need to be affixed in any way. The bending of the drip edges holds it on from strong winds or animals.

I took photos from different angles and with my car in the picture figuring this would help with visualizing the height and scale of the station:

20191209_132007 1c.jpg

20191209_131823cm.jpg

20191209_125424cm.jpg

20191209_125237cm.jpg

20191209_123824 1cm.jpg

This is seriously the best home charging installation I've seen. I love the Mt. Baker area. Please post some pics when you get snow. :)

No snow yet, the weather has been pretty strange this fall going into winter (milder than usual) but I'll post pictures if it snows.

If you're ever road-tripping in the area, PM me so you can stop in and say hi.

• Love
Reactions: Eugene Ash
No snow yet, the weather has been pretty strange this fall going into winter (milder than usual) but I'll post pictures if it snows.

If you're ever road-tripping in the area, PM me so you can stop in and say hi.

Will do! I usually visit family in Bellingham twice a year. I'll let you know next time we're in the area and heading up the mountain. We might even do a road trip out there in May on our way to/from the Custer, SD Tesla rally... still working on those plans.

Reactions: StealthP3D
This is seriously the best home charging installation I've seen. I love the Mt. Baker area. Please post some pics when you get snow. :)

I just saw this and remembered I had promised to post a snow pic. We didn't get any big snowfalls here last winter (elevation is only 1000 feet) but here's what I got:

upload_2020-7-20_23-48-8.png

I've cut off that tree limb that droops onto the roof when weighted with snow.
When spring came around I planted some ferns and am establishing some moss around them but haven't taken any photos yet. I'll post 'em when I get 'em. :)

I just saw this and remembered I had promised to post a snow pic. We didn't get any big snowfalls here last winter (elevation is only 1000 feet) but here's what I got:

View attachment 567016

When spring came around I planted some ferns and am establishing some moss around them but haven't taken any photos yet. I'll post 'em when I get 'em. :)

Nice. I spent six weeks out there this spring and forgot to give you a shout. Enjoy the beautiful weather. It's been 90-100F and humid in the DC area... plotting my escape.

View attachment 567016

You could likely sell pictures of your charging station, especially this last one, to Tesla. They are good looking enough to be professional marketing type pictures, showing "whats possible" with a Tesla and charging.

I mentioned up thread, but the juxtaposition of the "futuristic" charging station, the "old fashioned" wood shingle roof over it, and the "nature" around it all is simply STUNNINGLY Beautiful. At least for me, its prettier / better looking than almost any other picture I have seen with a Tesla in it, official or not.

You could likely sell pictures of your charging station, especially this last one, to Tesla. They are good looking enough to be professional marketing type pictures, showing "whats possible" with a Tesla and charging.

I mentioned up thread, but the juxtaposition of the "futuristic" charging station, the "old fashioned" wood shingle roof over it, and the "nature" around it all is simply STUNNINGLY Beautiful. At least for me, its prettier / better looking than almost any other picture I have seen with a Tesla in it, official or not.

Thank you for the kind compliments. If Tesla wanted the photos I would give them to them! After all, they gave me the High Powered Wall Connector! :)

The fern/moss garden I planted in the disturbed soil I dug up for underground power is thriving now at the end of summer! Here's a couple of photos:

20201002_121941es.jpg

And the copper ridge cap has lost it's gaudy brightness and started to mellow:

20201002_121516es.jpg

Having lived with my charging kiosk for a year now I can say it was worth the time and effort. Every time I plug-in or unplug, whether it's warm and sunny or cold and snowy, I feel a sense of satisfaction inside that makes my day just a little better. In 20 years when the Tesla wall connector is completely archaic looking this kiosk will stand out as a testament to this amazing period of transition to EV's that is happening right under most peoples noses with them barely being aware of it.