TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Outside Mirror Question

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by JohnGarziglia, Sep 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. JohnGarziglia

I have a rattle coming from the inside of my RH outside mirror. How does one go about disassembling the mirror to get inside and see what is rattling? I recall seeing posts on removing the mirror but not disassembling it. I know that the answer is likely obvious such as just pry off the front but I do not like prying or pulling on things without knowing that is the correct way to open it, particularly not mirrors. Thank you.

2. Habious

Habious Member

I posted a video a while ago on how I removed mine (warning: NSFW language - just one word (rhymes with "duck"))

• Funny x 2
  3. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

Be aware that there is a circular adhesive sticker that covers the screw to remove the outer part of the mirror. It is painted body-colour, and very hard to remove in a way that it can be re-applied neatly. If you ask nicely at your local service centre, they might have some laying around.

4. TransForged

TransForged New Member

John, I'm located in Northern VA and know the Mirror housing extremely well, we also designed new mirrors for the Lotus Exige/Elise. I'm glad to lend a hand if you wish.

• Like x 1
  5. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

I used a razor blade to get under and remove the sticker. Kinda lame that its a sticker but I guess it works.... You can use rubber cement or some non-permanent adhesive to reattach so it can be removed again and reused. Would be nice to find plastic caps painted to match the car to replace and look more professional.

6. JohnGarziglia

This is exactly what I needed. Thank you!

Here is what the TechWiki says:

The mirror glass is and its frame are just clipped to the painted shroud.

You can lever the mirror/frame off the shroud. Use a thin metal/plastic blade to prise the mirror frame from the shroud. You may mark the plastic inserting the blade, so start working from the underside of the mirror assy, nearest to the door. The clips are on the shroud part. The mirror frame has slots that the clips fit into.

Once you get a few clips off the parts should separate easily

The plastic around the slots is fragile. Expect to break a few bits of plastic around the slots

Easy to do, but take your time to avoid damaging the clips as little as possible. If you break too many you can still glue the shroud to the mirror frame.

[​IMG]

• Like x 1