Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Outside of Tesla's, what EV's do you think have the best UI/Entertainment system?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Android Automotive in the Polestar 2, which was the first car of any kind (EV or ICE) to use it. Plus the P2 is a solid EV, at least the dual motor version.

From what I've read Polestar's OTA experience isn't as smooth as Tesla's, but probably better than anyone else's so far. Polestar has been issuing OTAs every month I believe, sometimes including significant new features and even new Android OS major versions e.g. 10 -> 11.

To me Tesla infotainment and Android Automotive are the top class of infotainment software right now. Those who like non-touchscreen controls might disagree of course!

Reactions: CoryARamirez
Android Automotive in the Polestar 2, which was the first car of any kind (EV or ICE) to use it. Plus the P2 is a solid EV, at least the dual motor version.

From what I've read Polestar's OTA experience isn't as smooth as Tesla's, but probably better than anyone else's so far. Polestar has been issuing OTAs every month I believe, sometimes including significant new features and even new Android OS major versions e.g. 10 -> 11.

To me Tesla infotainment and Android Automotive are the top class of infotainment software right now. Those who like non-touchscreen controls might disagree of course!
Is that system still compatible with Apple devices?

At this point I really don’t care about the “best UI,” I just want one that actually works. Tesla has been playing with their Entertainment System / UI instead of fixing software issues - examples: browser is slow and fails all the time, USB music does not work, etc. Let’s keep the focus where it should be, that these are cars and not video game platforms.

What’s your thoughts on iDrive? That’s BMW right? Or is that xDrive
With any system there’s a learning curve. But I’ve been using this system for nearly 10 years so I’m just used to and familiar with it.

I think Tesla needs to focus on making the car stuff a priority and make it easy to use while driving instead of like a full on tablet/computer.

Reactions: ATPMSD
Porsche‘s is pretty bad. It’s slow to boot up and layered with menus. The voice command is the best way to navigate the system.

Yep. The Taycan has so many screens, and none of them are good, touch interface wise. Feels like they are the slow resistive type, even though they are capacitive.
Maybe they could reduce the quantity of screens, and go with quality instead.

MBZ EQS is better, but the expansive screen in the top of the line model is, in my opinion, a bit too much.

Yep. The Taycan has so many screens, and none of them are good, touch interface wise. Feels like they are the slow resistive type, even though they are capacitive.
Maybe they could reduce the quantity of screens, and go with quality instead.

MBZ EQS is better, but the expansive screen in the top of the line model is, in my opinion, a bit too much.
I don't think there are too many or that they are being too cheap, it's software that slow to load and a bit laggy. I quite like the screen where the glove box would normally go, allowing the passenger easy access to all the functions. Beyond that they have a gauge cluster and a center stack. The upside is it supports wireless CarPlay.

We have a Volvo C40 and while the Android Automotive it uses is pretty half-baked at this point, I think it has the potential to be very good. Responsiveness is fairly good, although not quite as fast as Tesla's UI. It just got the most recent update to take it to Android 11, so hopefully Carplay (although confirmed to be wired-only at this point) will soon get implemented and the OTA process will be improved, among other things.

At this point I really don’t care about the “best UI,” I just want one that actually works. Tesla has been playing with their Entertainment System / UI instead of fixing software issues - examples: browser is slow and fails all the time, USB music does not work, etc. Let’s keep the focus where it should be, that these are cars and not video game platforms.
I MUCH prefer our 2016 kia soul EV over our 2016 model X. The interface on the kia is simple and easy. Navigation is super easy. Phone calls are easy. As for music., most of the time i listen to sirius xm which i cannot even do in the Tesla despite Space X lauching satellite after satellite.
The tesla I have no idea where my music is playing from, and it seems to generate the same songs over and over even when I am on spotify.
Then when you have no cell service....now what? a usb? it is like going back in time. at least if i have a cd i do not have to 'download' onto a usb first..then have it not read.
Could not care less about video games in the car.

I haven’t seen the infotainment in the VW but I thought the Mach-E looked ok especially with wireless CarPlay.
It is fine on the surface, but in day to day use it becomes infuriating. CarPlay only uses the top third of the screen, the glued-on enormous volume knob is dumb, and menus make no sense. They also make Tesla’s V11 look super streamlined — as everything takes several touches. Voice control is laughably useless.

I will acknowledge that they are at least making some improvements through OTA — which is something VW couldn’t do in over 15 months (and counting) since the car was launched. With them, they can’t even get scheduled charging to work. Kind of a big deal, and it has literally never functioned correctly in over 15 months. I couldn’t believe it. None of the legacy carmakers are on a path to catching Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
BMW iDrive is by far the best infotainment system out there. Easy to use, multiple inputs, great voice assistant and regular OTA updates that bring in useful new features - off the top of my head; Android Auto, Alexa, directions from CarPlay/Android Auto in the instrument cluster and HUD, the ability to pay for parking in the car, speed camera app

On the newer iDrive 8 you can also use the mapping from CarPlay/Android Auto on the instrument cluster and HUD

• Informative
Reactions: sckor and tm1v2