Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Outside of Warranty Flat Tire Trip Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Resist

Mar 24, 2019
California
I'm curious to know how many deal with going on a long trip, like cross country, when their Tesla is outside of the warranty with regards to getting a flat tire that can't be plugged. I will be taking such a trip this Spring with my 2018 LR Model 3. It's still on it's original tires so I will probably be replacing them and I carry a plug kit and small air compressor in the car right now. I also have AAA but should I get a flat that I can't repair, AAA won't bring me a replacement Model 3 tire like Tesla roadside service could. I guess AAA could flatbed my car someplace, hopefully to a Tesla service center or tire shop. While I'm normally not a fan of an extended warranty, I'm kind of wishing Tesla had one at least for roadside assistance.

So, how does everyone outside of their warranty deal with this? Any real life experiences? Did you call Tesla roadside assistance and if so what did they charge?

When I got a flat in my Model S (not on a road trip), I was under warranty. I used Tesla Roadside Assistance, but they didn’t bring me a tire, they transported my car to the Tesla Service Center, maybe because it happened after hours. I ended up replacing all the tires because the other ones were worn, and I had to pay for the tires as expected, but not the tow.

I suggest you contact a service center and ask how much Tesla Roadside Assistance charges for towing out of warranty. If AAA will tow you for free, that’s probably your best option.

If I were going on a cross-country trip in my own out-of-warranty 2018 LR RWD (26.4K miles), I'd first depend on my own roadside assistance. I have Premier AAA coverage but have both plug kit and inflators in the sub-trunk. Given the mileage that's on my current factory MXM4 tires, full 26.4K in the fronts and about 16K on the rears, I'd also start the trip on new rubber all around.

Both times I've had punctures on my car I was within driving distance of a Service Center and the leak was pretty slow. The first one was patched (left rear), the second time (same tire) was too close to the sidewall and I opted to replace the other rear as well as it was almost at end-of-life. If faced with a non-repairable flat somewhere on the road, I would contact AAA first to see if I could be towed to a tire shop (200 miles for 1st tow of year, 100 miles thereafter) and then see what Tesla Roadside Assistance could do for me and what the cost is.

I would rely on AAA more than Tesla outside of urban/suburban areas. I live 107 miles from the nearest Tesla service center. But with AAA, I can get a free flat-bed tow to a Tire Warehouse only 12 miles from my house. You are also probably going to pay less for any tire at any tire place than you will at a Tesla service center. Just make sure you have a set of jack pucks in case the tire place doesn't have any.

Reactions: rpiotro
Hi @Resist ,

I find myself traveling to remote areas.
My tires seem to attract utility razor blades, nails, and screws...

Regardless of my warranty status I need a spare tire.
All the better for Tesla Roadside or AAA to help put it on...
But if they are not available, I have to do the work myself
and much faster than waiting for the truck, tow, or whatever.

I bought a Modernspare.
They are available for most of our models through Amazon
or check them out at their website Modernspare.com

It's the best insurance I have ever bought.
No leaks or flats since it was purchased.

Good luck,

Shawn

Reactions: Willy3988
Spare tire and plug kit and electric air pump and bicycle pump (it works!) etc.

Spare Tire in Trunk in Snow.jpg

Reactions: GrittyWskyCity
I'm curious to know how many deal with going on a long trip, like cross country, when their Tesla is outside of the warranty with regards to getting a flat tire that can't be plugged. I will be taking such a trip this Spring with my 2018 LR Model 3. It's still on it's original tires so I will probably be replacing them and I carry a plug kit and small air compressor in the car right now. I also have AAA but should I get a flat that I can't repair, AAA won't bring me a replacement Model 3 tire like Tesla roadside service could. I guess AAA could flatbed my car someplace, hopefully to a Tesla service center or tire shop. While I'm normally not a fan of an extended warranty, I'm kind of wishing Tesla had one at least for roadside assistance.

So, how does everyone outside of their warranty deal with this? Any real life experiences? Did you call Tesla roadside assistance and if so what did they charge?

how are you possibly still on the original tires on a 2018? I'm getting my fifth set tomorrow at 75k miles...

Reactions: father_of_6
how are you possibly still on the original tires on a 2018? I'm getting my fifth set tomorrow at 75k miles...
In my humble opinion 5 sets of tires in 75,000 miles is more incredulous than driving on the same tires for 5 years. You are either buying very cheap tires or your doing a lot of street racing, rapid acceleration and sudden braking. My 2020 M3 has 18,400 miles on it and I still have a little over half the tread depth left. Looks like it'll be close to 40,000 miles on my tires before they need to be replaced.

Reactions: alcfeoh
I second the 40,000 miles. I am at 28,000 on my 2018 M3 AWD with a lot of tread left.
Another option, if you don't have room for the Modern Spare, would be to buy a decent used tire only that matches yours and carry a pump/plug kit. The big problem on toad trips that I have seen is not being able to get a tire quickly if you need one. This way you still get the doughnut hole for storage. Personally, I would get the Modern Spare or a used wheel tire for long trips.

In my humble opinion 5 sets of tires in 75,000 miles is more incredulous than driving on the same tires for 5 years. You are either buying very cheap tires or your doing a lot of street racing, rapid acceleration and sudden braking. My 2020 M3 has 18,400 miles on it and I still have a little over half the tread depth left. Looks like it'll be close to 40,000 miles on my tires before they need to be replaced.

lol, ok.

i guess the factory tires are cheap then, because I only got around 25k on that set. I've replaced with hankooks since, because I never get anywhere near the warranty and always get at least a half off credit on my new set...so those have been slightly less reliable than the OEM primacy, but not overly so.

I made a post about it after the second set, and a lot of people agreed with me. this car eats tires like none I've ever seen. I don't drive like a 90 year old, but I don't drive like a lunatic either...I drive the car like a normal human being, and it just runs thru tires like crazy.

Well, my Model 3 has barely over 23,000 miles and I rotate them frequently myself.

Oh and the tires that came with the car can't really be considered "factory or OEM tires", because Tesla doesn't make the tires and anyone can buy them at a tire store.

Also, it's common knowledge that EV's go through tires faster than ICE vehicles, because they are heavier due to the battery weight. But they really do need to be rotated sooner for even wear. Isn't it funny how Tesla at one point said the tires rotation schedule was 10,000 to 12,000 miles, the Tesla employee that come up with that should have been fired.

I’m on my 2nd set of 20” Michelin PS4s tires at 79,000 miles, with plenty of tread left. First set was replaced at over 51,000 miles. I have no doubt the 2nd set will go to 100,000. Obviously, I’m not a super aggressive street racer all the time, but I don’t drive like a granny either.