Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

outside storage in winter NJ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After years of waiting, I've finally decided to go and purchase an EV and the only one that even makes sense to me at the moment that is available is a MY.
So I am now in the waiting game of a hopeful later mid to late Dec delivery.
With that being said, I will be storing my Y outside year round with an HPWC.
I am curious as to everyone's experience with storing these outdoors, year round, in differing climates during the year. Living in NJ we can go all over the map in temps and this to me seems like the only real "worry" about this.
I don't have a garage but the HPWC will be next to the car in a driveway.
Any experiences, especially those in NJ are very welcome.
Thanks!

After years of waiting, I've finally decided to go and purchase an EV and the only one that even makes sense to me at the moment that is available is a MY.
I am curious as to everyone's experience with storing these outdoors, year round, in differing climates during the year. Living in NJ we can go all over the map in temps and this to me seems like the only real "worry" about this.
Thanks!
Storing implies that the vehicle will not be driven for a period of time, usually several weeks or longer. Parking outdoors and charging outdoors better describes your situation.

Parking the Tesla outdoors is no different than for any other vehicle except for the charging routine. The Tesla Wall Connector is rated for use in all weather conditions. The Tesla charging port on the Model Y is heated. When you remotely precondition the Tesla vehicle in cold weather using maximum defrost setting from the Tesla app the side mirrors and the charging port heaters will turn on. Depending on whether there is snow and ice on the vehicle it may take longer than 30 minutes to fully defrost the Tesla vehicle. Otherwise you will want to precondition the Tesla vehicle for at least 15 minutes, possibly longer as this will warm up the battery and the passenger cabin. You can turn on the seat heaters and the steering wheel heater from the Tesla app.

If you don't precondition the Tesla vehicle in cold weather then you will find that regenerative braking is limited or unavailable so you will want to precondition before driving so that you have at least partial regenerative braking. (Full regenerative braking will not be available until the outside temperature is around 70F.)

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Storing implies that the vehicle will not be driven for a period of time, usually several weeks or longer. Parking outdoors and charging outdoors better describes your situation.

Parking the Tesla outdoors is no different than for any other vehicle except for the charging routine. The Tesla Wall Connector is rated for use in all weather conditions. The Tesla charging port on the Model Y is heated. When you remotely precondition the Tesla vehicle in cold weather using maximum defrost setting from the Tesla app the side mirrors and the charging port heaters will turn on. Depending on whether there is snow and ice on the vehicle it may take longer than 30 minutes to fully defrost the Tesla vehicle. Otherwise you will want to precondition the Tesla vehicle for at least 15 minutes, possibly longer as this will warm up the battery and the passenger cabin. You can turn on the seat heaters and the steering wheel heater from the Tesla app.

If you don't precondition the Tesla vehicle in cold weather then you will find that regenerative braking is limited or unavailable so you will want to precondition before driving so that you have at least partial regenerative braking. (Full regenerative braking will not be available until the outside temperature is around 70F.)
Thanks!
I live in Northern NJ and have owned my Model Y since last September. I also only have outside driveway parking available. No room in our garage either since it’s full of “stuff”. It’s been fine. I have a ChargePoint Home Flex EVSE. I had that installed for my Toyota Prius Prime plug in Hybrid so not a Tesla one but it serves the same purpose. It’s outside as well. There’s no need to worry. I’ve never had any issue. In fact it’s actually better than having an ICE vehicle under the same conditions. You can precondition the vehicle to melt snow and ice. you can cool it off in hot summer weather. You can turn on the heated seats and heated steering wheel if you have it (which you should). You will love this vehicle and how much better it is. Just keep it plugged in every night and set to 80% charge for the most part. It will help with keeping vehicle set and ready to go when you need whether it’s super hot or super cold. Welcome to the Tesla family.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
(Full regenerative braking will not be available until the outside temperature is around 70F.)
I believe this statement isn't entirely accurate. From experience, full regenerative braking will not be available until the battery reaches 70F. In fact, late last winter I remember a software update changing that so that regen went from none at 32F or below to full at around 52F instead of the ~70F it was before. It's about battery temp, not outside temp, as far as I could see in ScanMyTesla.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and jcanoe
Just wanted to thank everyone for the responses.
Yea, I was thinking how I should word the post topic and saying "storage" might not be the best word. Probably should have used kept outside or the like. We actually have a CT on "order" as well but we'll see if that comes in the next 2-3 years.
I'll be plugging in every day after the "commute", so the battery being heated and ready won't be an issue.
The supercharger network just makes a Tesla the only real EV that is worth buying, beyond them also being a decade ahead of everyone else in EV development.
Charge at home 99% of the time.
SC network to get everywhere else.
Really sorta excited for this and if it keeps to the "holiday time" delivery date, it'll just make it that much more fun, lol.
Again thanks for the responses.

Reactions: Acps110
In Ocean county NJ and commute to NYC, our Model Y long range works great and handled the winter well. It also has to sit outside in the driveway in the heat of our summer and of course the cold of winter.
below freezing you'll burn through more energy, especially if there is precipitation or existing snow on the road, keep a little extra buffer.
Preconditioning is great, 20-30 minutes before you leave. Once I found my charge connector frozen into the car from some freezing rain, I could have probably broken it loose but opted to grab the wife's hair dryer and an extension cord to slowly melt it loose.

ice.jpg

In Ocean county NJ and commute to NYC, our Model Y long range works great and handled the winter well. It also has to sit outside in the driveway in the heat of our summer and of course the cold of winter.
below freezing you'll burn through more energy, especially if there is precipitation or existing snow on the road, keep a little extra buffer.
Preconditioning is great, 20-30 minutes before you leave. Once I found my charge connector frozen into the car from some freezing rain, I could have probably broken it loose but opted to grab the wife's hair dryer and an extension cord to slowly melt it loose.

View attachment 712712
If you turn on the front windshield defroster on the high setting using the Tesla App or from the Tesla main screen (tap twice on the windshield defroster icon and icon will turn red) the Tesla Model Y will defrost the side mirrors and the charging port heater will be activated.

I just can't wait to get this thing.
As a tech guy this will be like owning a giant rolling iPhone.
The idea that you can just set a schedule to get your car ready to go before you leave in the AM is just perfect.
I'm used to doing a remote start on my current Jeep Renegade on winter mornings anyway so it's not biggie.
My daily commute is about 65 miles total, I'll have a tesla charger at my house in the driveway so it'll be no thing to be ready at about 80% daily.
Also scheduling the AC to be on about 20 minutes before the drive home in the summer will not be bad either, LOL.
Thanks for the heads up everyone.

Thanks!
I spend most of my time in Central New York where I park my model Y outdoors in a parking lot with no electric outlet near. The other replies have been good: no real problems. But one thing not mentioned so far is the possibility that door handles will freeze up if you get an icy snow/rain hitting your car from the side. Only happened once or twice to me last winter, and I was able to go to the non-windward side of the car and open it there without any issue. (Maybe I should get a battery-operated hairdryer?)