Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

outside temp

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I had that happen tonight, 25F when I left the garage and 30 minutes later still 25F, even though it was 7F outside. I used TesLax to see what the CanBus said, and it had the proper 7F degrees, so it was purely a software display issue, IMHO. Lots of bugs left to stomp out with all versions of software (Phantom Braking, tons of USB Audio fixes, cameras views blacked out, random reboots, etc...), if they ever devote some programmers to it, by pulling some from the holy grail of FSD...

Last edited:
Reactions: JoeT21MY
Upvote 0
Yes, I had that happen tonight, 25F when I left the garage and 30 minutes later still 25F, even though it was 7F outside. I used TesLax to see what the CanBus said, and it had the proper 7F degrees, so it was purely a software display issue, IMHO. Lots of bugs left to stomp out with all versions of software (Phantom Braking, tons of USB Audio fixes, cameras views blacked out, random reboots, etc...), if they ever devote some programmers to it, by pulling some from the holy grail of FSD...
You don't want those FSD guys anywhere near the UI. They just want the car to drive, UI is the enemy.

Upvote 0
yes... came here to post. My temp finally changed today 14 minutes into my trip. The same thing happened last week (I usually don't pay attention) but fixed itself at exactly the same point in my drive. I thought it was a "Day After Tomorrow" where the temp went down like 30 degrees in 1 minute... but I actually knew is was single digits outside.

Upvote 0
Funny... the discussion came up a few months ago. Initially I also found my outside temperature was taking a long time to adjust but it feels like recent software updates made it better. I park in a heated garage (12C) and it's often -10C or lower outside. When I go for a drive now I can see the temperature continually adjust in one degree increments until it eventually reaches the real outside temp. It's not instantaneous, it will adjust over a few minutes. But it will not wait 15 minutes before changing like some of you report here.
I have looked at the outside temp field in ScanMyTesla once. In the first minute it was adjusting a bit faster than the UI but afterwards it was equivalent to what I saw on screen. There's definitely a lag to the display but I can't quite figure out if it's fully software or if the sensor also takes a while to read varying temperatures.
NOTE: I have a model 3. I don't think it makes a difference but just in case, since this is a model Y forum.

Reactions: ilovecoffee
Upvote 0
Mine has been acting like this for months now. I was going to start a post but never got around to it. I have done all the user tricks to no avail. I guess it’s a feature. In my Chevy Volt it was appreciated because it delayed the ICE coming on due to temps below 32 degrees or 15 depending on how you set the car.

Upvote 0