Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Outside warning sound for backup?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried to google but found links about the pedestrian warning system for low speeds which is something different.

Does the Y make a sound when backing up to warn pedestrians? My Leaf makes a beeping sound which is easy to check by opening the window, but I did not hear anything in the Y.

Some Y's have been reported to having the pedestrian warning system (it's a different sound for forward and reverse, but it's the same speaker/system), but most have been coming without the speaker. All of the new recent 3's seem to have come with the speaker. It seems Tesla is probably following the law literally and only putting it in the required 50% of their vehicles until next year when it will be required for 100%.

Finally was able to check this - it seems the car makes absolutely no sound when I put it in reverse. I looked through the manual and could not find any mention of this at all. I'd assume it would start as soon as you put it in reverse, not only e.g. when you're moving?

The PWS is what makes sound when moving forward and reverse. Without that, there is no sound in either direction. Why would you expect there to be a reverse warning if you do not have a Pedestrian WARNING System installed?

The requirement for EV's to have any sort of warning system is only applied to 50% of vehicles the manufacturer produces until the end of this year. I'm sure Tesla is following that 50% to the T in order to save as many pennies as they can. We have seen a small number of Y's come with the PWS, but most have not. Next year I would expect all new Model Y's to have the system. All Model Y's have the wiring in place to connect the speaker if at some point needed, but it is capped. It lives under the front belly pan, near the passenger foot well.

Agreed that my terminology isn't the best. However, it was based on the fact that I've seen reports of Model 3 owners where the vehicle did make a sound when reversing, but not when going slowly forward.

So there seem to be 3 options:
1) PWS only when reversing
2) PWS reversing and at low speed
3) no PWS at all

I would expect to at least have option 1 in all vehicles (and never option 3), but apparently that is not the case.

I just assume that people who say they hear the sound in reverse, but not forward, just can't pick up on the forward sound. The reverse sound is very unique and noticeable (sounds like a jetsons car), but the forward sounds is mostly just white noise. Very difficult to tell the noise is occurring, especially from inside the cabin. In driving situations the forward sound just sounds like either white noise, or loud tire noise.

This video does a good job of comparing the sounds on and off from multiple points. You'll notice the recordings of the forward sound from inside the cabin are all but unnoticeable.

• Helpful
Reactions: frankvb