Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Outstanding PPF Installation by Ultimate Shield in Orange County !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had SunTek PPF installed on my entire MS a little while back by Ultimate Shield in city of Orange of Orange County. The team there did an AMAZING job ! Sean was extremely professional, friendly, & easy to work with. I had all the exposed & easy to access edges wrapped. Sean said he could take off emblems & parts to wrap all edges if I wanted. However I personally didn't want any part of the car disassembled, except for the tail lights which were easy, & expertly done. Those who have had their entire vehicle wrapped know that there isn't a commercial pattern for the hatch yet, so Sean custom wrapped the hatch for me as well.

When I decided to have my MS wrapped, I had my heart set on Xpel Ultimate. On the initial consultation, Sean applied a piece of Xpel Ultimate & SunTek side by side on the same vehicle to let me decide which one I wanted. SunTek looked just as clear, if not slightly more clear than Xpel IMHO, & both were glass smooth with no noticeable orange peel. So I went with SunTek.

Job took only 3 days, & the MS was picture perfect on the day I got it back. Price was fair & reasonable, & I would definitely go back to Sean at Ultimate Shield when I get my next Tesla.

Oh, and for those who are extremely particular & want your emblems removed to have no edges showing, Sean & his team was able to custom cut around all my emblems within a couple millimeters. Unless you were at sniffing distance, you would never be able to see the PPF edge at regular distances. I'd rather do that than rip out my emblems any day.

If you're from Southern California, you should at least go & check out their work before deciding on an installer:

Ultimate Shield
817 W Collins Ave, Orange CA 92867
714-412-4851
Ultimate Shield Home Page

tesla1_zpsaec117cb.jpg

tesla2_zpsbcafdc7f.jpg

tesla3_zpsd84b3c2e.jpg

tesla4_zpsc55a5852.jpg

tesla10_zpsd3f20069.jpg

tesla12_zpse4be489e.jpg

tesla11_zps572eb85e.jpg

tesla9_zps2cb6fa4c.jpg

tesla8_zpseeb57d71.jpg

tesla5_zps0f53b740.jpg

tesla6_zps241f1c7d.jpg

b17d7968-1da4-4114-b07c-894e89a9218c_zps6e0f3171.jpg

6e9d8a24-ae7e-46fb-a49e-cfda455f55bc_zps20c1cb97.jpg

PS, sorry for the bad cell phone pics. Yes, I know I need a better camera. I just can't get over how slick & shiney the PPF made my car look.

Looks great! I'm getting Xpel Ultimate put on my Blue MS as soon as it arrives. Great to see installers doing good work. FWIW, I got a quote from a shop in Washington State for $7500 US for the whole car, which seemed way too high. I tracked down the Protex guy here in Vancouver and he's telling me $3500-$4000 Canadian for the whole car. I can update at the end of March once it's done.

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone know why a full wrap job takes so long? Are they really working 3 or more days, 8 hour days on our cars? I suppose it would help explain the cost. I'm happy for them to take all the time they need to get it right!

Would you mind sharing how much you paid for this?

I paid the industry standard price in Orange County so the price was fair, but it really depends on what you get, what level of detail you'd like put into the process (eg edges, emblems), and any custom request (matte finish, hatch, etc...)

Does anyone know why a full wrap job takes so long? Are they really working 3 or more days, 8 hour days on our cars? I suppose it would help explain the cost. I'm happy for them to take all the time they need to get it right!

I didn't ask, but I'm assuming one day for pain correction, one to two to apply, 1/2-1 day for curing before returning the car to the customer. If anyone knows, please chime in.

looking good! hope to see you at the next OC meet.

From what I can gather (and assume) the installer needs to do the following:
1. wash the car
2. claybar the car to remove crap
3. any other paint correction
4. cut the PPF to fit the panel they are covering and making sure dust or other crap get under the PPF when they apply to your car. They spray soapy water underneath so that they can position the PPF in the right place before they start squeegeeing out the stuff. the squeegee itself is only 3-4 inches wide, so you can imagine how much time it would take to squeegee out the liquid for each panel. Plus they need to make sure that they are not introducing stretch marks, wrinkles, overlaps when squeegeeing out the soapy stuff. If there is a mistake found (dust speck found under PPF. gasp!) they need to peel off the PPF to re-do. If they are perfectionists, this will happen a lot.
5. depends on how many people work on your car. usually just 1 person.

The PPF doesn't need to cure before pickup. they tell you not to wash the car for a few days and allow the sun to help evaporate any leftover residue.