Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Outstanding Recall - Now what [window reversal system]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While searching the NHTSA Recall site for my VIN wanting to know if my Aug 12th, 2022 built Model Y was affected by the loose rear seat bolts, this popped up:

Unrepaired Recalls associated with this VIN:​

Sep 19, 2022
Manufacturer Recall Number TBD
NHTSA Recall Number 22V702
Recall Status Recall Incomplete
Summary On certain model year 2021-2022 Model S and Model X vehicles, model year 2017-2022 Model 3 vehicles, and model year 2019-2022 Model Y vehicles to correct performance of automatic window reversal systems to comply with regulatory standards

Safety Risk We are not aware of any crashes or injuries related to this condition. Before closing a window, ensure that the window travel path is clear of any obstructions.

Remedy A software which includes the remedy that ensures compliance of the vehicle’s automatic window reversal system to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 118, Section 5 will be deployed over-the-air (OTA) to affected vehicles when the software is available.

Any tips or suggestions on how to handle this? Thanks.

While searching the NHTSA Recall site for my VIN wanting to know if my Aug 12th, 2022 built Model Y was affected by the loose rear seat bolts, this popped up:

Unrepaired Recalls associated with this VIN:​

Sep 19, 2022
Manufacturer Recall Number TBD
NHTSA Recall Number 22V702
Recall Status Recall Incomplete
Summary On certain model year 2021-2022 Model S and Model X vehicles, model year 2017-2022 Model 3 vehicles, and model year 2019-2022 Model Y vehicles to correct performance of automatic window reversal systems to comply with regulatory standards

Safety Risk We are not aware of any crashes or injuries related to this condition. Before closing a window, ensure that the window travel path is clear of any obstructions.

Remedy A software which includes the remedy that ensures compliance of the vehicle’s automatic window reversal system to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 118, Section 5 will be deployed over-the-air (OTA) to affected vehicles when the software is available.

Any tips or suggestions on how to handle this? Thanks.
There is nothing you need to do at this point. Section 5 is related to auto reversing when the windows are operated remotely or outsidethe Section 4 criteria.

There is news this year that changes to FMVSS may result in some auto close functions being disabled permanently (not recall related)

Specification:
49 CFR § 571.118 - Standard No. 118; Power-operated window, partition, and roof panel systems.
Recall:
Recalls | NHTSA

As long as you're not attempting to ship, internationally store, or import your vehicle, you don't need to take any action against the recalls associated with your vin.

I'm in the unfortunate position of being impacted by both the window pinch and FSD recalls, both of which are preventing me from importing my car into Canada. I've been stuck in limbo with these two lingering issues for a cumulative 4 months without any visibility on when I'll be able to import and register my car. I've more or less resigned myself to selling my Model Y (at a pretty significant loss) in California and buying something else if the recalls aren't closed by end of March.

As long as you're not attempting to ship, internationally store, or import your vehicle, you don't need to take any action against the recalls associated with your vin.

I'm in the unfortunate position of being impacted by both the window pinch and FSD recalls, both of which are preventing me from importing my car into Canada. I've been stuck in limbo with these two lingering issues for a cumulative 4 months without any visibility on when I'll be able to import and register my car. I've more or less resigned myself to selling my Model Y (at a pretty significant loss) in California and buying something else if the recalls aren't closed by end of March.
Did you ask Tesla about getting the rental fleet version of software?

Did you ask Tesla about getting the rental fleet version of software?
Appreciate the suggestion! I've been in touch with a helpful member of the virtual support team who's been trying to figure out what's possible. Unfortunately the service team is only able to re-load the version of the software that the car already has. I've even asked to see if I can have FSD temporarily 'uninstalled' for purposes of the recall, and then have it re-installed after I've completed the import.

So far the feedback I've received is:
- 22V702 update isn't yet available
- No clear way to 'disable' or 'uninstall' FSD

Really bums me out that I'll need to let go of this car and won't be able to afford re-buying it in Canada, but at this point I'm sitting on a very expensive driveway ornament that can't yet be registered or insured where I intend to use it.

Appreciate the suggestion! I've been in touch with a helpful member of the virtual support team who's been trying to figure out what's possible. Unfortunately the service team is only able to re-load the version of the software that the car already has. I've even asked to see if I can have FSD temporarily 'uninstalled' for purposes of the recall, and then have it re-installed after I've completed the import.

So far the feedback I've received is:
- 22V702 update isn't yet available
- No clear way to 'disable' or 'uninstall' FSD

Really bums me out that I'll need to let go of this car and won't be able to afford re-buying it in Canada, but at this point I'm sitting on a very expensive driveway ornament that can't yet be registered or insured where I intend to use it.
Humm, maybe this mod can't be done on Beta branches of code. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2022/RMISC-22V702-4358.pdf
@wk057 @verygreen any input on rollback of Beta software and disabling window functions to allow import to Canada?

• Love
Reactions: brownsound202