Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ovens site management encouraging ICEing of Supercharger stalls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderators note:
I was hoping that everyone had had their say on this matter and that this thread would disappear into history.
This post is not a criticism of anything anyone has posted her, it’s part of your right to express yourself that is what this forum is designed to facilitate.
However- - - members should be aware that the current owners of this site are aware of this thread and it is not helping Tesla’s relationship with the site owners and I have been approached by Tesla about this thread in particular.
So members need to decide to support owners who host Tesla Supercharger sites as they attempt to manage the competing needs of their business and the Supercharger or just pile on an criticise and potentially complicate Tesla’s attempts to roll out a fast charging network.
As I have said before in this thread, we should be appreciative of any owner who chooses to host a fast charging site, be it Tesla, ChargeFox, Evie, Jolt or any others as they are doing us a favour and supporting the mission of Tesla and other to transition to more sustainable transport.
I would hope people support the host business as much as they can when visiting a Supercharger and be appreciative of the fact that it’s difficult to justify currently on a financial basis. However being the first in any area as often an advantage in the future.
Just have a think about this.

It's a daft spot for a SC as the Happy Valley Hotel has limited opening hours most of the week and it's a 3km walk to the nearest services in Myrtleford (that would be a far more suitable location).

Tesla would have chosen the site because it splits the difference between Falls Creek & Mount Hotham & Tesla owners are probably the type to be ski slope visitors

Alpine Shire is planning to install some high speed chargers in Bright in the near future.

I hope so. Bright (on route to Mt Hotham) is far busier than Mount Beauty (on route to Falls Creek) in the warmer months. My guess is 10 times the business.
Hence the Tesla superchargers would have catered more all year round in Bright, than a narrow 4 months of June to September at Ovens
Keep us posted on the Bright fast chargers

However- - - members should be aware that the current owners of this site are aware of this thread and it is not helping Tesla’s relationship with the site owners and I have been approached by Tesla about this thread in particular.

I'm not arguing with you but you purport that somehow Tesla (with a market cap prediction approaching a trillion dollars) should be owed any sympathy, as if they are a struggling charity rolling out fast chargers.

What exactly did Tesla say? Their "reputation managers" and BDMs seem to come out of the woodwork real quick when stuff like this pops up, to tamp it down and silence valid criticism.

If people aren't hosting sites, Telsa needs to offer better terms. Problem solved. The free market will sort itself out. If Tesla is acting shady, others will step in and fill their place. If venues act shady, chargers will just pop up elsewhere in time.

If you sign a contract , whether it be Tesla or a site owner you'd be encouraged to read it and make sure you understand your obligations.

Last edited:
Reactions: PC__LoadLetter
Tesla would have chosen the site because it splits the difference between Falls Creek & Mount Hotham & Tesla owners are probably the type to be ski slope visitors
Yes, they did. Myrtleford would have provided the same benefits but with greater amenity.
What exactly did Tesla say? Their "reputation managers" and BDMs seem to come out of the woodwork real quick when stuff like this pops up, to tamp it down and silence valid criticism.
I think that the suggestion is that we can arrive at a far better outcome for everyone by avoiding confrontation at this stage - make diplomacy, not war! I provided some information as back story, not with the intent of stirring up confrontation

I'm not arguing with you but you purport that somehow Tesla (with a market cap prediction approaching a trillion dollars) should be owed any sympathy, as if they are a struggling charity rolling out fast chargers.
I’m not purporting anything about Tesla, however I am purporting that what is said on Social Media including TMC has an impact on the outside world.
I think that the suggestion is that we can arrive at a far better outcome for everyone by avoiding confrontation at this stage - make diplomacy, not war! I provided some information as back story, not with the intent of stirring up confrontation
Couldn’t have put it better myself.

Reactions: Vostok and Hairyman
From the TM3 FB forum and backed up by PlugShare.

Appears the 2B Supercharger unit was damaged sometime between 16-Jan and 24-Jan. The shell has been removed.
2A has also been taken offline (though was seemingly still working on 24-Jan) and the in-car app is now reporting only 2 stations.

From the TM3 FB forum and backed up by PlugShare.

Appears the 2B Supercharger unit was damaged sometime between 16-Jan and 24-Jan. The shell has been removed.
2A has also been taken offline (though was seemingly still working on 24-Jan) and the in-car app is now reporting only 2 stations.

I wonder why Tesla doesn't place bollards in front on the Superchargers? Surely this is an inexpensive preventive measure and a lot cheaper than the cure.

Of the original 4 stalls, 2 are disconnected (1 completely removed) - see photos
The other 2 stalls do work, even though your in car MCU map says that 1 is out of action (suggesting only 1 stall is working) - I tested both.
Not sure why Tesla state only 1 is working - any ideas?

4AA70A4F-EE88-4E5D-BFB1-4A2E441D2A38.jpeg 265EABC0-71F8-4BA8-A5AB-BDDFA95ACC97.jpeg

So in that second photo someone seems to have deliberately covered up the Tesla branding so as to provide no “advertising” benefit?? Curiouser and curiouser...

I wonder what the typical terms of these types of hosting agreements are? Legal agreements are rarely perpetual (although Deeds can be) so therefore have an expiry date or defined triggers for termination.

If Tesla has abided by its terms, the host will usually be powerless to ‘kick them out’ without cause until the end of the term. In property matters, that could be 5 years, or 7, or 10, or even more.

Heads up, when I went there earlier the only 2 working chargers were both ICEd
Had to go inside advise staff who got the on duty manager to look for the owners & get them to shift
So you’ll be waiting about 5 to 10 minutes before you can charge
You might also, like me, cop a beep from one the ICErs as they leave (because they’re incompetent at reversing in tight spaces with another car behind them)

EDIT: Tesla need to change the signs to state ‘Tesla Vehicle Charging ONLY’ - without the ONLY it currently makes it ambiguous