Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Over 1 month with CPO, still no title

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my CPO MS over a month ago in Mt. Kisco, NY. They let me know the title would be mailed to me "in a few weeks". I am now over a month in, my temp tag has expired, and I can't drive the car until I get the title. I've emailed my SA, and the last I heard is that they would "look into it".

If you picked up a CPO in NY, how long did it take to get your title?
If I didn't have my old car as a backup, what options would I have to legally continue driving the tesla?

So while not in NY- I bought a CPO car in Early July ( almost June had they gotten it ready that last week) and it was an vehicle that had been leased in CA. I live in AZ - the temp tag was good for 45 days, and the day before it expired I contacted Tesla to find out where the title was- ( There was no lien on the car, I paid cash) Anyway, the Tesla rep apologized for not having the Title from CA yet, The Lessor still had the title. Tesla can't initiate the title transfer w/o the original title. I think that is likely what is happened to you too. He immediately issued me a new temp tag- Which I believe they should be able to do for you. This temp tag was good for 90 more days. I asked when he expected the CA title to be available to allow Tesla to do a title transfer from CA to AZ. He said he hoped it would be in just a few more days. I waited another couple of weeks and still nothing, I contacted him one more time in early Sept - He said he thought the title would be coming very soon- I finally got my title/tag in Mid Sept, 71 days after delivery. I believe the issue wasn't so much with Tesla but more with the Leasor's title service getting the title to Tesla .

So my advice, Contact your sales person and insist they re-issue you a new Temp tag until they can provide the title / tag for you

Good luck

• Informative
Reactions: Russell and ckoval7
I picked up a CPO MS early August and I still don’t have registration, plates, or title. I actually got a FedEx letter about a month after taking delivery asking me to sign a form that I thought I already signed. I sent it back the same day and it’s been over a month but I still haven’t received anything.

My SA said they're sending me new temp tags. I'm not sure when those will get here, but I hope it's soon.

I picked up a CPO MS early August and I still don’t have registration, plates, or title. I actually got a FedEx letter about a month after taking delivery asking me to sign a form that I thought I already signed. I sent it back the same day and it’s been over a month but I still haven’t received anything.
Did they renew your temp tags?

I’m in the same boat, purchased my CPO right around a month ago. Still haven’t transferred my tag over. Evidently Tesla is waiting on some payments to clear. Contacted my DS who reached out to DMV services who are allegledly sending new temp tags.

I’m in California so no need to renew temp tags. I have the paper plates and the window sticker. I picked up the car in Las Vegas so maybe the SA messed up my documentation.

And I paid by cashiers check so there shouldn’t be any delay with financing.

They finally reached out to me Monday night to confirm my address for sending out the missed paperwork. It was in my mailbox Tuesday afternoon, and they received the signed paperwork Wednesday morning. They also sent along a fresh temp tag, so my car is back on the road. Hopefully I get the title so I can get real plates soon!

They finally reached out to me Monday night to confirm my address for sending out the missed paperwork. It was in my mailbox Tuesday afternoon, and they received the signed paperwork Wednesday morning. They also sent along a fresh temp tag, so my car is back on the road. Hopefully I get the title so I can get real plates soon!
I bought a cpo that I had to drive 18hrs to go and pick up in Mt Kisco...
As of Friday, when my temp expired, I called Tesla and they said dmv rejected and returned the paperwork....
Sounds like Mt Kisco gang sux...

Anyway, the Tesla rep apologized for not having the Title from CA yet, The Lessor still had the title. Tesla can't initiate the title transfer w/o the original title.

Is that even legal? To sell a car without holding the title to it? I don't think so.
And during a lease usually the lessor just gets a copy of the title, not the real title. The owners are the bank, generally.
Sounds to me like it was a BS excuse for incompetence.

I picked up my CPO MS over a month ago in Mt. Kisco, NY. They let me know the title would be mailed to me "in a few weeks". I am now over a month in, my temp tag has expired, and I can't drive the car until I get the title. I've emailed my SA, and the last I heard is that they would "look into it".

If you picked up a CPO in NY, how long did it take to get your title?
If I didn't have my old car as a backup, what options would I have to legally continue driving the tesla?
I'm now temp plated in CO, live in FL, and bought the car in NY. Temp good til 1/23/19....its a mess, still no title after 50 days.

• Funny
Reactions: Eevee
it's been 110 days for me and I'm pissed I still don't have plates and here in CA legally I can't drive my car since the temp tags are expired.

Does anyone know if I can return my car. At this point I don't want to deal with this anymore. The rep said they would give me a enterprise car, but I didn't buy an ICE vehicle I do not want an enterprise car because I can't drive the car they sold me. Total BS

Is that even legal? To sell a car without holding the title to it? I don't think so.
And during a lease usually the lessor just gets a copy of the title, not the real title. The owners are the bank, generally.
Sounds to me like it was a BS excuse for incompetence.
Strictly, having the title in hand, and having title are two different things.
Well, ME, you strictly have to have the title, as well as have title, but it happens all the time, with people selling cars they need to pay off, people trading in cars where they have to apply for a duplicate.
In this case it's a sale off-lease, so probably just a paperwork issue that states won't get too worried about.

It is not ideal but what would you want Tesla to do while waiting for your plate?

In some states you cannot sell a car unless the title is free and clear and you have it (basically) in hand and can sign it over to the new owner immediately. (Same goes for real estate, essentially, in many states). Remember '60s movies about drag races and winning someone's pink slip? The pink slip was the title and someone could just sign it over to someone else. I bought and sold used cars that way in the past. Anyway, MOST used car sales don't take this long. Every car I've bought except one has been used and I've never experienced this particular problem before.

That's why this is so outrageous. It _feels_ like Tesla is doing something shady because it takes an exceptionally long time to get these titles. The fact that it happens to so many of us... it just seems like something is NOT RIGHT.