TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Over day to decide: change my 85D to 90D?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by cryptyk, Jul 17, 2015.

1. cryptyk

cryptyk Member

My car just went into production and I probably have one it two days to have it upgraded to the 90d battery pack. What's the consensus? Is 15 extra miles worth $3k? After there ANY other advantages to having the 90 pack? Better chance of a software upgrade? Cool badge? Etc?

2. CTShore

CTShore Member

0-60 in 2.8 seconds "Ludicrous Speed"? Thought it was 10K more.

3. Bighorn

Bighorn Member

Different upgrade

4. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

The general consensus from years of reading comments is "go for the biggest pack possible." You won't regret it and it gives you more options for the future. There are many many instances of 60 owners selling their car to go for a 85 or P85. The same happened with the "D."

So I'd say if the money is not really an issue, then yes.

You would be getting the most advanced battery pack they have.

5. BoerumHill

BoerumHill Member

85D. Ludicrous is not an option.

Well, it's not just 13-15 miles, right? The new pack will have silicon-anode instead of graphite-anode. Though I remember Elon saying this new pack was a baby step in achieving greater density so maybe it's NBD.

6. purplewalt

purplewalt Active Member

Agree with Grendal.

Don't know if you will get a different badge or not, but it will be the best $3K you could spent.

Name of the EV game is actually longer range, not blazing performance (unless you have access to the Autobahn).
    Never know when that last 15 miles will be the difference between making it to your destination.
    Or not.

7. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

I have a P85 and after 35,000 miles have never had my travel plans thwarted by a range limitation that 15 miles would have solved. I wouldn't spend the money, if it were me.

8. mmccord

mmccord Member

I'd go for it, but i stretch my range a lot deviating from typical supercharger routes. I think if you go to resell you will get most of the cost back in resale value.

9. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

I would go with the 90...who knows what having that extra capacity, and new chemistry, down the road will allow. Sure seems like Tesla is taking advantage of pretty much every possible means of performance.

Just my $.02

10. alexrov

alexrov Member

If I had a shot at it, I would take the $3k upgrade in a heartbeat. It doesn't seem like a huge amount of money for a larger cushion against the odd emergency where you don't have time to go top up.

I'm afraid that ship has sailed for my in-production 85D. With things being as they are, I think I'll hold out a few years for a larger upgrade before I commit to paying for it.

11. ahm

ahm Member

I'd say no. The added 5Kw of energy is almost double the cost per Kw in an 85 for only 17.5 miles additional range.
    I've heard an 85 Kw battery is $25,000 ($294/Kw). The 5 Kw upgrade is $600/Kw. Too rich for my blood.

12. cryptyk

cryptyk Member

Well, I did it. I changed the order to the 90d.

The way I figured it, I'd rather have one of the first 90d compared to one of the last 85d...

Thanks for the thoughts, everyone.

13. kuttakamina

kuttakamina Member

You've already bought into $10K for 30mi, $3K for 15 more miles is a steal in comparison.
    IMO, I'd do it. But I still feel, 85D is overpriced compared to 70D.

14. mwulff

mwulff Member

I wouldn't bother unless you live in an area where superchargers are thin on the ground. The range increase is 5%. So only buy if you really really need it. Save that cash for 100 kWH upgrade in a few years. That would make a real difference.

15. Insane

Insane Banned

its worth it.

16. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and Coral Gables, FL
    Top of the line always is a less economic decision than bottom of the line, but many of us do it anyway. Therein lies profitability for manufacturers. So be it! It is not as though we are not fully aware.

17. Stirthepot

Stirthepot Member

I changed mine and to 90D.

18. tao

tao New Member

I am sticking with P85D.

19. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

You beat me to it.

$3k for 15 miles makes a lot more sense than $10k for 30 miles (acceleration aside).

20. donv

donv Member

When I upgrade to a D, it will be a 90D. Really only for one reason-- I intend to use it to go skiing, and I'd like to be able to turn on the pre-heat as I head down the mountain on my last run without having any concerns about range.

It's about a 165 mile round trip to my usual ski areas. My S85 does it with no issues, but I'd like that extra bit of comfort, even though it's not really necessary.