Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

over promise under deliver

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon has always set insanely ambitious timelines and goals and that is part of the reason why he achieves things that the critics love to say are impossible. Anyone who hasn’t noticed that yet hasn’t been paying attention. Some lazy journalists write articles just to get clicks and can’t be bothered to do research or provide context.

I was listening to this episode of Freakonomics the other day. They included a discussion with Daniel Kahneman, and he touched on the topic of over promising and the virtues associated with it, as well as the associated costs. It's a brief bit, but Kahneman is a master of understanding and exposing human fallacies so it's interesting to hear his take on it.

There's an embedded player on the link, and the pertinent bit starts at about 37:25.

I agree. Over-optimistism is useful to 'get things done' and to make people move in order to 'overcome inertia'.

Elon certainly energizes people and gets them behind him. I love the way he looks at the world and Tesla's place in it. However, sometimes he makes optimistic promises that aren't necessary to make. F.e. he could have drawn the (in)famous S-curve without naming specific months and keep it more general with maybe a 2018 mark somewhere down the line. He'd have the same message (we'll realize exponential growth) without the tight schedule that now is expected from him.

I don't mind him making optimistic promises, that is his strength, but maybe he should only become specific when it is really necessary.

Last edited:
I'm also mindful these new Tesla releases are not just repeating and refining the past in the way a new ICE largely is. If M3 was just 10% better than the Nissan Leaf (or choose any other existing BEV option) it would be a far more routine process to lock in the schedule of deliverables.

actually that isn't how telsa plays the game, there haven't been many tesla recalls.
the tesla scheme is to push the car out the door regardless of any flaws that happened on the line, and let the service centers deal with the aftermath of the poor QC at the factory.
Maybe when they had 25k Model S's on the road. With ~250k cars on the road, their warranty costs have only increased about 50% IIRC, which points to much better quality.

I feel like I've been over delivered.. just scheduled for my X75D to get a full second shaved off the 0-60. Never heard of such a thing before Tesla. Was a bit annoyed when I read that newer 75Ds were a full second faster, but hoped that would also apply to mine at some point and lo and behold it'll be done next week.

You all have to remember, must people don't hang on every word Elon says or tweets. Most are not aware of these aggressive time lines and asparitional goals. The fact is that we all know better and should adjust expectations accordingly. I have zero problem with how Elon works because the end results are infinitly better that anything else.. that's just a simple fact. If you can't handle it, I suggest you find a way to cope. Maybe don't read everything Elon and be surprised like most people.

I feel like I've been over delivered.. just scheduled for my X75D to get a full second shaved off the 0-60. Never heard of such a thing before Tesla. Was a bit annoyed when I read that newer 75Ds were a full second faster, but hoped that would also apply to mine at some point and lo and behold it'll be done next week.

You all have to remember, must people don't hang on every word Elon says or tweets. Most are not aware of these aggressive time lines and asparitional goals. The fact is that we all know better and should adjust expectations accordingly. I have zero problem with how Elon works because the end results are infinitly better that anything else.. that's just a simple fact. If you can't handle it, I suggest you find a way to cope. Maybe don't read everything Elon and be surprised like most people.
I had the same "problem" with my S85D. A few weeks after delivery I installed a software update which gave me 30 more HP and dropped a second off the promised 0-60 time. No warning. Definitely over delivered.