Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Over sensitive pedestrian warnings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my 2020 Model 3 I could probably count on one finger the number of times I got a warning about a potential impact with a pedestrian. In 10 days since getting my Model Y it’s happened 5 times, warning chime and red pedestrian image even though the pedestrian is safely on the pavement. Anyone else noticed anything similar?

Reactions: Alwayshopeful
This happened to me today in the UK in a new MY LR (no EAP/FSD).

I was driving through a S-bend, with a right corner followed by a left corner. Pedestrians were walking in the opposite direction on the outer edge of the second corner, on the far side of the road from me. As I straightened up between the two corners, the pedestrians were briefly in line with the car's direction of travel and the pedestrian warning system went nuts, even though they were clearly not at risk from cars following the path of the road at a sensible speed.

Feels like Tesla's pedestrian warning algorithm isn't smart enough to predict a car's path based on simple road geometry...

Damn those oversensitive pedestrians! They all need toughen the hell up and stop being so sensitive 🤣

Nah but seriously this has happened to me once so far, but I've only had the car a week. It was just someone walking along the pavement, nowhere near the roadside. It was while I was turning a fairly sharp corner, if that makes any difference. Very bizarre.

It also seems to do the same for cars parked half on the pavement, especially if it's a van it seems.

Pedestrian have the highest priority now. Cars must wait if a pedestrian wishes to cross the road regardless of crossing or signals. I don't think the new highway code changes was communicated properly at all with cars still thinking they own the roads.

This happened to me today in the UK in a new MY LR (no EAP/FSD).

I was driving through a S-bend, with a right corner followed by a left corner. Pedestrians were walking in the opposite direction on the outer edge of the second corner, on the far side of the road from me. As I straightened up between the two corners, the pedestrians were briefly in line with the car's direction of travel and the pedestrian warning system went nuts, even though they were clearly not at risk from cars following the path of the road at a sensible speed.

Feels like Tesla's pedestrian warning algorithm isn't smart enough to predict a car's path based on simple road geometry...
I think you’re right about bends. This is where I generally see the problem.

Reactions: Alwayshopeful