Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Over the air updates...Blacklisted???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else been blacklist d from over the air updates? My MS 75 has been added to a list by the engineering division and over the air updates are no longer allowed on my car. Updates have to be performed by the engineering team themselves or at a service center. I am told that it has something to do with someone trying to “hack” (their terminology) the MS software. I have no idea what that means or how one would even do such a thing. Has this happened to anyone else?

Woah. I have only come across those issues with salvage cars. If it was a dealership CPO or new car, I would be pretty pissed at them and make sure that they remove it from the blacklist. Did they say how you can resolve the situation?

Yes, people that have rooted their cars, even non-salvage ones, have been "blacklisted".

Did you buy your car new/CPO from Tesla?

If you have never tried to hack/root your car or asked someone else to do it I would file an escalation request via your MyTesla account to have them research why you are on the list and remove you as appropriate.

• Informative
Reactions: vrykolas and vraev
Our car was put on a "do not update" list last fall, without any notification by Tesla.

During Hurricane Harvey, we parked our S 100D in a multi-story parking garage (no charger, no WiFi) and put the car in "deep sleep mode" (always connected turned OFF) to conserve power while the car was parked for almost a week.

A few weeks later, when we didn't get a software update other 100Ds were receiving, I called Tesla's phone support team, and they found our car had failed several times to install an update (while it was parked away from home), and that the car had been placed on a "do not update" list. We would have to bring our car in for service to get the next update installed.

While it's possible the onboard display had displayed a warning on the console when the updates failed, when we returned to the car, there were no warning messages on the display - and Tesla had made no attempt to notify us of the problem. If we hadn't called them, we wouldn't have known about this situation - and wouldn't have received any updates until our next scheduled service visit.

Once Tesla manually installed the update at the service center, our car was moved off the "do not update" list, and we've since received multiple updates.

So, at least in our case, we were temporarily "blacklisted", due to multiple failed attempts to install an update.

Has anyone else been blacklist d from over the air updates? My MS 75 has been added to a list by the engineering division and over the air updates are no longer allowed on my car. Updates have to be performed by the engineering team themselves or at a service center. I am told that it has something to do with someone trying to “hack” (their terminology) the MS software. I have no idea what that means or how one would even do such a thing. Has this happened to anyone else?
What did you do to your car?

I have been told at least 3 times that there was a "flag" on my account by the folks at the service center and by calling the 800 number. Yesterday I received a call from Jimmy Wright, the Service Manager for the DFW area. He was very professional and informed me that I was provided the wrong information and that my car has not been blacklisted. He appologized for the wrong information I was given. Of course until the last update that everyone got that improved auto-pilot, my car was sing on 2017.50 and it's the end of March. Time will tell if I start getting more frequent updates. I think the last update was more about liability (making auto-pilot better), and EVERYONE was going to get it.

Yes, people that have rooted their cars, even non-salvage ones, have been "blacklisted".

Did you buy your car new/CPO from Tesla?

If you have never tried to hack/root your car or asked someone else to do it I would file an escalation request via your MyTesla account to have them research why you are on the list and remove you as appropriate.

Not CPO, new. I have never tried to hack anything. I wouldn't even know where to start. haha.

What did you do to your car?

Not a thing. The only outside app that I used in the past, was TeslaFi. I thought it might have been that so I removed access.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865