Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

overall charging efficiency of 72A chargers and HPWC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw multiple old threads on the total charging efficiency of the Model S, but they all seemed to be the older 80A charger. Anyone have a ballpark figure of overall charging efficiency of the 72A charger on newer S/X and the Tesla HPWC? Looking for all losses - HPWC, wire runs, onboard charger, battery - how many kWh do I draw from the breaker panel for each kWh I see added to the car's battery meter. I'm just trying to estimate the total cost of fueling my car at home. I'm guessing it's 80% or 85%, given past posts and the fact that my car does get warm overnight in the garage when it charges, so I'm losing some to heat. Even the garage itself (a decent sized 3 car with high ceiling) warms up a bit. If it matters, I typically charge at 50A.

...charging efficiency...

Not sure about the S but for my 2017 X, the best efficiency that I can see is only about 93%

Charged from 80% to 90%. Added 9.7kWh but used 10.4kWh from the outlet:

upload_2019-6-27_11-45-9.png

Last edited:
Nice! I wonder if the efficiency drops if you charge longer and the battery has time to get hot, cooling systems have to come on, etc. Like going from 20%-90% SOC.

No matter low or high, long or short, I could randomly hear the HVAC scream like a helicopter ready to explode!

2012 85 Model S:

Charged from 25% to 69%. Added 33.0kWh but used 36.8kWh from the outlet: Efficiency is 92%. Note that I decreased the Amperes down to 20A

upload_2019-6-27_12-34-43.png

upload_2019-6-27_12-37-45.png

I saw multiple old threads on the total charging efficiency of the Model S, but they all seemed to be the older 80A charger. Anyone have a ballpark figure of overall charging efficiency of the 72A charger on newer S/X and the Tesla HPWC? Looking for all losses - HPWC, wire runs, onboard charger, battery - how many kWh do I draw from the breaker panel for each kWh I see added to the car's battery meter. I'm just trying to estimate the total cost of fueling my car at home. I'm guessing it's 80% or 85%, given past posts and the fact that my car does get warm overnight in the garage when it charges, so I'm losing some to heat. Even the garage itself (a decent sized 3 car with high ceiling) warms up a bit. If it matters, I typically charge at 50A.

Just wondering if you calculated the ambient temperature, the underground temperature and your car's tank's temperature when filling up with gas?

• Funny
Reactions: brainhouston
There's just not that much efficiency difference once it's up to a decent level. Of course 120V charging that's barely 1 kW looks pretty bad, but if you're on 240V with at least something like 30 or more amps, it's always going to be low 90's %.

Just wondering if you calculated the ambient temperature, the underground temperature and your car's tank's temperature when filling up with gas?

Um, OK I'll bite. So what does that have anything to do with figuring out how much it cost me to drive a mile? In an ICE car - it's simple, I drive 300 miles, put in 10 gallons @ $3.00/gallon or whatever, and it cost me $0.10 per mile. Done.

Not so easy in an EV when you charge at home, and there's other things pulling electricity at the same time you're charging so you can't just look at the meter. Early Tesla's reported only an 80% efficiency recharging. That's a pretty big number to ignore, so I was wondering what mine was. Plus there's vampire drain, about 3 miles per night in my car, and about 15 miles per day lost during the summer from cabin overheat (yes I can turn that off) when parked outside. All told, using 90% charging efficiency from @Tam's posts above, and my actual usage was 6,400 kWh over my first year (17,500 miles), when my car says it only used 5,100 kWh. Big deal? No, as that still comes out to only $.03 per mile - equivalent to getting 87 mpg using local regular gas prices here and 110 using premium (a fairer comparison given no 4 second 0-60 ICE car uses regular).

For fun, I then compared it to the Audi S7 I was also considering. Saving $2500/yr just in fuel! And that's without factoring in free supercharging or charging at work (both available, but I rarely use).

@Tam, thanks for sharing your data. 90% seems a fair number to use.