Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Overextended drivers door from wind gust.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there!

Unfortunately this past weekend I had a very unlucky experience when opening my door to get out and grab some chipoltle. Literally as soon as I pressed the door button the wind caught the door and violently opened it and I heard the sound of the metal flexing. It returned and shut and I sat there and said a prayer asking for it to be okay. Of course when I got out I saw what I expected, a slight flex in the part of the door that comes out and runs horizontal near the handles. Additionally there is a tiny crease from where the actual hinge pressed against the edge of the door that runs along the seal. I will post pictures shortly.

Couple questions:

Has this happened to anyone? What are my options? Is the door aluminum or steel? And is this something I can file a warranty claim with (metal not holding up from normal circumstances) or will I have to pay out of pocket/insurance claim?

I literally love this car so much and it kills me that this happened. My stomach hurt for hours. Just looking for thoughts/advice.

Thanks guys!

That sort of thing happens to cars around my area all the time. We get a LOT of wind. Very sorry this happened to your 3.

It will most likely be an insurance claim, unless you find some defect in how your hinge was put together (missing bolts or something).

First, so sorry to hear about this. It’s amazing how fast thing change from ok to not ok.
This happened to me once long ago on a non-Tesla. In my case the door flexed the hinge and didn’t affect anything else. The door no longer closed properly because it now hung at an angle. As I say, it was not a Tesla, so this may not be what you want to do, but I was able to place one end of a 6’ 2x4 piece of wood on the door jam and the other end on the ground below the open door. By lifting up the ground end of the 2x4 I got enough leverage to get the door back into place so that it closed properly.
This might not be what you want to do, but for me, I had that car for many years after that and never even thought about it. This won’t help your body crease, but if you can’t get the door to close, it might help. good luck!

Reactions: Tron 3
First, so sorry to hear about this. It’s amazing how fast thing change from ok to not ok.
This happened to me once long ago on a non-Tesla. In my case the door flexed the hinge and didn’t affect anything else. The door no longer closed properly because it now hung at an angle. As I say, it was not a Tesla, so this may not be what you want to do, but I was able to place one end of a 6’ 2x4 piece of wood on the door jam and the other end on the ground below the open door. By lifting up the ground end of the 2x4 I got enough leverage to get the door back into place so that it closed properly.
This might not be what you want to do, but for me, I had that car for many years after that and never even thought about it. This won’t help your body crease, but if you can’t get the door to close, it might help. good luck!

Appreciate the input. Fortunately the door does close okay and I don’t think it’s misaligned. There is just a dent on the panel and a possible paint breaking pinch mark by the hinge (which is why I’m trying to see if it’s steel or aluminum).

Appreciate the input. Fortunately the door does close okay and I don’t think it’s misaligned. There is just a dent on the panel and a possible paint breaking pinch mark by the hinge (which is why I’m trying to see if it’s steel or aluminum).
It's hard to tell without pictures but could paintless dent repair fix the issue? If so, that would be a lot cheaper.

Ouch!

Hate to say it, but this will be an insurance claim all day long. What happened to you is wind damage, which isn't covered under any kind of warranty because the door is not designed to be overextended with that kind of force. Some photos will be helpful, but from what you describe I think you'll need a new door and some time at the body shop.

223C8204-E45E-4599-A3B7-A4A670FB1B33.jpeg
FC587837-6A8C-4316-B87A-7DAF83C77EC6.jpeg
19F8BBC5-35AB-4C41-9633-CE142483587E.jpeg
08D58B63-48CB-4BCD-981E-918C1CB337BA.jpeg
DBB0C5A7-63A6-4215-82A2-C1A9A025D181.jpeg

Hi there!

Unfortunately this past weekend I had a very unlucky experience when opening my door to get out and grab some chipoltle. Literally as soon as I pressed the door button the wind caught the door and violently opened it and I heard the sound of the metal flexing. It returned and shut and I sat there and said a prayer asking for it to be okay. Of course when I got out I saw what I expected, a slight flex in the part of the door that comes out and runs horizontal near the handles. Additionally there is a tiny crease from where the actual hinge pressed against the edge of the door that runs along the seal. I will post pictures shortly.

Couple questions:

Has this happened to anyone? What are my options? Is the door aluminum or steel? And is this something I can file a warranty claim with (metal not holding up from normal circumstances) or will I have to pay out of pocket/insurance claim?

I literally love this car so much and it kills me that this happened. My stomach hurt for hours. Just looking for thoughts/advice.

Thanks guys!
OMG!! you r in my hometown!! Well, actually Ventnor, but i started my life in AC!! Small world! i just saw the pix of your baby...sorry ! hope it gets resolved successfully for you soon!! "Go Whitehouse hoagies"

Last edited: