TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Overhead Cable Reel Install for the HPWC

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by ELMIV, Jan 12, 2014.

1. ELMIV

ELMIV Member

#1 ELMIV, Jan 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2014
    I am attempting a post with photos of my unique (at least I think it is) cable reel install
    in case anyone is interested. The process took some time in researching and finding a
    company that would build the reel.

As you can see, the reel is in my garage attic with the end of the cable hanging down approximately
    3 feet when fully retracted. The desired cable length is easily pulled down and then the cable is locked
    in place. A slight tug on the cable will start the recoil process. Extremely simple operation that my wife uses daily.

The cable used was the 25' that came with the HPWC. The pigtail to the cable reel was acquired through
    Leoni's US representative. (Leoni makes the HPWC cable).

As shown, the HPWC is set to 90 amps with 72 amps charging. This is due to a slight mix up with the
    electrician who ran #4 to the HPWC rather than #2. The system was tested for approximately 15 minutes
    with a full 100 amps and it operated perfectly without a build up of heat. In regards to heat build up, the
    cable reel mechanism and coiled cable is cooler than the HPWC when under full load as tested with a Fluke
    infrared.

All in all the system works perfectly for me and is as envisioned and designed. Credit goes out to FlasherZ
    for valuable assistance during the design phase.

This is a Gen I unit and was made by EVO Charge from Phoenix. They are working on a Gen II which I will
    be installing for my Roadster once Henry Sharp finalizes his HPWC to Roadster adapter. Hurry up Henry!
    Josh K. is the very helpful and throughly competent sales rep from EVO that I worked with. Send me a pm
    for his contact information, if interested.

This reel, and the Gen II, can be wall or ceiling mounted as well. The reel is also rated for exterior use I
    believe, but it would be best to ask Josh any questions you might have.

I included some photos to illustrate the reach of the 25' cable. It is possible to charge multiple vehicles
    from one install location.

Hope the photos come through!

ELMIV

Attached Files:

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  2. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

Very very nice!

3. William13

William13 Member

Wonderfully done. Kudos.

4. mitch672

mitch672 Active Member

Very nice. Can you tell us, how much did that custom cable reel cost? I imagine with 2 conductors at 100A max, the ground, the pilot and the proximity wire (used to power the door release on the Model S connector), that's 5 contacts, 3 heavy duty, 2 light duty. Must have been expensive... Also the J-1772 extension cabling I know is pricey (from the HPWC to the cord reel), Henry sells it for $8/foot.

5. ELMIV

ELMIV Member

Per prior agreement, all discussions regarding pricing on the cable reel itself must be with EVO Charge. This was a one off custom build but theyare working on a smaller, lighter, Gen II that I am told is currently in the testing phase. Please email Josh with questions on the reel. In regards to the cable "pig tail", it is the exact same cable as sold with the HPWC. Made by Leoni, from Italy. Again, EVO Charge is the bestparty to discuss pricing with on the hardware side of things. However, I am happy to discuss install or functionality inquiries.

6. RAM_Eh

RAM_Eh Member

Nice,

Did you have the new reel and cable assembly inspected by the electrical authority in your area?

Where I am from this is a modification to a manufactures design so this would need to be field certified.

7. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

#7 SCW-Greg, Jan 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
    Gorgeous garage. Love the clean set up!

Just one word of caution... HEAT.
    The last thing you want is an HPWC working in a hot attic. Hopefully it won't be dialing down amperage too much, or tripping, if it gets too hot.

Is the attic cool in the summertime?

8. ELMIV

ELMIV Member

I have had this set up for some time, including hot summer days. I have performed extensive testing
    of the heat generated with an infrared device and all is good. That said, thank you for your concern
    and kind words.

9. JerryNycom

JerryNycom Member

Very very nice! Now that's how you do it!

10. Electric Machete

That is a gorgeous set up. Looks like a Tesla museum in there. Is your garage door solid wood?

11. ELMIV

ELMIV Member

Thank you, and yes, the doors are solid wood.

12. ThosEM

ThosEM Space Weatherman

Like your taste in car colors! I'm looking (not that seriously) for a used roadster to match my metallic green Model S. Let me know if you put yours up for sale...

13. ELMIV

ELMIV Member

Will do. We have a Sig X reservation and unfortunately our Tesla Garage can only accommodate 2 vehicles. Sadly the Roadster will have to go when the X arrives.

14. KJD

KJD Member

That is a really nice looking system. When I looked at the web site all I can find is 30 amp J plugs for sale. Did you get the only one made for a Tesla?

EVoCharge

15. ELMIV

ELMIV Member

Mine is several years old now. It was my understanding they were working on a Gen II unit, but best to communicate directly with EVo as I have not been in touch with them for some time.

16. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

17. Odebek

Odebek Don't Panic

Very nice! Did you consider a gas pump style retractable cable instead?

18. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

Fantastic! Would love the same setup obviously