Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Overhead Cable Reel Install for the HPWC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am attempting a post with photos of my unique (at least I think it is) cable reel install
in case anyone is interested. The process took some time in researching and finding a
company that would build the reel.

As you can see, the reel is in my garage attic with the end of the cable hanging down approximately
3 feet when fully retracted. The desired cable length is easily pulled down and then the cable is locked
in place. A slight tug on the cable will start the recoil process. Extremely simple operation that my wife uses daily.

The cable used was the 25' that came with the HPWC. The pigtail to the cable reel was acquired through
Leoni's US representative. (Leoni makes the HPWC cable).

As shown, the HPWC is set to 90 amps with 72 amps charging. This is due to a slight mix up with the
electrician who ran #4 to the HPWC rather than #2. The system was tested for approximately 15 minutes
with a full 100 amps and it operated perfectly without a build up of heat. In regards to heat build up, the
cable reel mechanism and coiled cable is cooler than the HPWC when under full load as tested with a Fluke
infrared.

All in all the system works perfectly for me and is as envisioned and designed. Credit goes out to FlasherZ
for valuable assistance during the design phase.

This is a Gen I unit and was made by EVO Charge from Phoenix. They are working on a Gen II which I will
be installing for my Roadster once Henry Sharp finalizes his HPWC to Roadster adapter. Hurry up Henry!
Josh K. is the very helpful and throughly competent sales rep from EVO that I worked with. Send me a pm
for his contact information, if interested.

This reel, and the Gen II, can be wall or ceiling mounted as well. The reel is also rated for exterior use I
believe, but it would be best to ask Josh any questions you might have.

I included some photos to illustrate the reach of the 25' cable. It is possible to charge multiple vehicles
from one install location.

Hope the photos come through!

ELMIV

Attachments

• DSC_0239.png
    DSC_0239.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 5,455
  • DSC_0240.jpg
    DSC_0240.jpg
    668.1 KB · Views: 5,041
  • DSC_0242.jpg
    DSC_0242.jpg
    739.1 KB · Views: 5,101
  • DSC_0243.jpg
    DSC_0243.jpg
    802.1 KB · Views: 4,847
  • DSC_0244.jpg
    DSC_0244.jpg
    939.5 KB · Views: 4,777
  • DSC_0245.jpg
    DSC_0245.jpg
    953.6 KB · Views: 4,683
  • DSC_0247.jpg
    DSC_0247.jpg
    799.9 KB · Views: 4,704
  • DSC_0249.jpg
    DSC_0249.jpg
    642.5 KB · Views: 4,669
  • DSC_0251.png
    DSC_0251.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 4,587
  • DSC_0253.jpg
    DSC_0253.jpg
    904.4 KB · Views: 4,545
  • DSC_0254.png
    DSC_0254.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 4,613
Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice. Can you tell us, how much did that custom cable reel cost? I imagine with 2 conductors at 100A max, the ground, the pilot and the proximity wire (used to power the door release on the Model S connector), that's 5 contacts, 3 heavy duty, 2 light duty. Must have been expensive... Also the J-1772 extension cabling I know is pricey (from the HPWC to the cord reel), Henry sells it for $8/foot.

Per prior agreement, all discussions regarding pricing on the cable reel itself must be with EVO Charge. This was a one off custom build but theyare working on a smaller, lighter, Gen II that I am told is currently in the testing phase. Please email Josh with questions on the reel. In regards to the cable "pig tail", it is the exact same cable as sold with the HPWC. Made by Leoni, from Italy. Again, EVO Charge is the bestparty to discuss pricing with on the hardware side of things. However, I am happy to discuss install or functionality inquiries.

Gorgeous garage. Love the clean set up!

Just one word of caution... HEAT.
The last thing you want is an HPWC working in a hot attic. Hopefully it won't be dialing down amperage too much, or tripping, if it gets too hot.

Is the attic cool in the summertime?

Last edited:
Per prior agreement, all discussions regarding pricing on the cable reel itself must be with EVO Charge. This was a one off custom build but theyare working on a smaller, lighter, Gen II that I am told is currently in the testing phase. Please email Josh with questions on the reel. In regards to the cable "pig tail", it is the exact same cable as sold with the HPWC. Made by Leoni, from Italy. Again, EVO Charge is the bestparty to discuss pricing with on the hardware side of things. However, I am happy to discuss install or functionality inquiries.
That is a really nice looking system. When I looked at the web site all I can find is 30 amp J plugs for sale. Did you get the only one made for a Tesla?

EVoCharge