Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Overheat protection not working US version

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW, Just one datapoint, YMMV, etc.

I live in Silicon Valley and park my 2020 M3 in my driveway. At 1 PM today, the outside temperature was 90º F and the car reported an interior temperature of 134º. Cabin overheat not on. A short while after I covered the car with its Tesla outdoor car cover, the interior dropped to 105º. Just as good as overheat protection but with no electricity use. Plus, no sticky jacaranda buds to clean off the windshield.:)

Note this is a 2020 version of the cover, which is a light tan. The current offering in the store is black and might not work as well.

It takes only a couple minutes to put on/remove so it might be practical for work parking. The cover has grommets for a locking cable, to make it less likely to walk off.

Reactions: brianbcc
...Cabin Overheat Protection operates until 12 hours has elapsed once you exit Model 3, or until the Battery energy drops below 20%, whichever comes first. Using Cabin Overheat Protection requires energy from the Battery, which may decrease range.
That answers my question "why is it hit and miss"? How could I get around that limitation? Or, reset the 12 hour clock? Get in and out of the car?

I got in the car and it was painful. The seats, steering wheel and screen were extremely hot. I guess fan only mide isn't working after all. I turned on ac mode so I don't have that problem tomorrow.

This is frustrating because fan only mode used to work well enough to keep things from getting really hot. ☹️

After doing several experiments over the last several days I have found that there is only one way to reset the 12 hour clock. This is the method that worked for me.

Open door -> get in car -> close door -> step on brake -> put it in drive -> creep forward a light amount -> optionally go back the same -> put car in park -> exit vehicle -> close door.

In other words, simulate having driven it. Restarting the app, turning cabin overheat on and off, plugged in or not. Nothing else works. Of course if you are actually using the car daily this is accomplished. I don't drive mine every day. It has been seasonably warm here so this is part of my morning ritual if I am not certain to use the car that day.