Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Overheat protection only for humans?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the heat will damage the interior.

edit: to whoever disliked the post, maybe you wanna come and chill out in the Australian Outback at 45 degrees and check out car interiors (and exteriors) of cars which routinely park outside there?
I do think extreme temps have played a role in screen failures but overtemp protection also times out so you leave it.parked a couple days and it gets exposed to the extreme temps anyway.
If it was for interior protection I don't think it would shut down so soon.

edit: to whoever disliked the post, maybe you wanna come and chill out in the Australian Outback at 45 degrees and check out car interiors (and exteriors) of cars which routinely park outside there?

I get what you are saying, here, Candleflame. I live near Phoenix, Arizona, USA. Outdoor temperatures also regularly reach or exceed 45 degrees Celsius here. Over years, that kind of baking can deteriorate the interior of any car.

I should have been more specific in my question. I was wondering if Tesla included overheat protection because the interior of the Model 3 is more susceptible to heat damage than other cars. Like maybe the computer and display need the be kept cooler because they are more fragile or something.

Reactions: Kianaf808
I do think extreme temps have played a role in screen failures but overtemp protection also times out so you leave it.parked a couple days and it gets exposed to the extreme temps anyway.
If it was for interior protection I don't think it would shut down so soon.

pretty sure Yuma, Arizona, USA temps can match anything you see over there, and I’ve never heard of heat damaging a car. UV radiation, sure, but not heat.

Well let's consider for a moment that the electronics in Teslas are a bit more advanced than you find in a "traditional" car. Yes, automotive electronics have to stand up to extended environmental conditions, but in a Tesla, you have more advanced computers that are always running. With electronic devices, you have both an operating temperature range, and a storage temperature range (what it can tolerate when not being operated). Usually when operated outside the operating temperature range, the device will simply malfunction (which is bad enough), but as we've seen with cheap flash memory sticks that people have used for their sentry mode videos, excessive heat can do a number on electronics.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the overheat protection designed as a protective measure to extend the lifetime of the sensitive electronics that Tesla uses.

I suspect its intended for a bit of both human comfort as well as reduced interior degradation. If they were terrified the car would melt when it gets hot, they wouldnt let you turn it off. I assume its more of a good idea, but not absolutely required. Reduced thermal cycling on the interior and electronics is never a bad thing.

And because children have been forgotten and left in cars for years, often with fatal results. This is a tragic event for the parents and society at large.

However, even remotely suggesting that Cabin Overheat Protection is also a way to possibly save a child's life exposes Tesla to massive legal liability if it were to be left off, or simply fail to work, so no such thing is implied . . . at all.

But the temperatures are low enough to likely be survivable by a child for an entire day, should such a thing occur.

All just a WAG, but Elon had one child (deceased), then twins, and triplets, and now another child as well, so he likely understands the trauma of losing a child.

And because children have been forgotten and left in cars for years, often with fatal results. This is a tragic event for the parents and society at large.

However, even remotely suggesting that Cabin Overheat Protection is also a way to possibly save a child's life exposes Tesla to massive legal liability if it were to be left off, or simply fail to work, so no such thing is implied . . . at all.

But the temperatures are low enough to likely be survivable by a child for an entire day, should such a thing occur.

All just a WAG, but Elon had one child (deceased), then twins, and triplets, and now another child as well, so he likely understands the trauma of losing a child.

overheat protection cant be used for children or animals, it is too hot inside. Dog mode or climate control on can be used for people and animals but of course it doesnt get advertised for humans...

overheat protection cant be used for children or animals, it is too hot inside. Dog mode or climate control on can be used for people and animals but of course it doesnt get advertised for humans...

On the contrary, a human child is likely to survive 104F (is that the maximum temperature for Cabin OH Protection?) for hours on end without hyperthermia. It is quite suboptimal, but normally not deadly, AFAIK.

And, BTW, I believe it is against the law to leave a child unattended in a vehicle . . . these are accidental deaths caused by distraction, not malice or "stupidity."

I suspect this is a backdoor attempt to help save children's lives, in addition to also keeping the electronics a bit cooler than they would otherwise be. Only Tesla insiders know for sure.

Well let's consider for a moment that the electronics in Teslas are a bit more advanced than you find in a "traditional" car. Yes, automotive electronics have to stand up to extended environmental conditions, but in a Tesla, you have more advanced computers that are always running. With electronic devices, you have both an operating temperature range, and a storage temperature range (what it can tolerate when not being operated). Usually when operated outside the operating temperature range, the device will simply malfunction (which is bad enough), but as we've seen with cheap flash memory sticks that people have used for their sentry mode videos, excessive heat can do a number on electronics.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the overheat protection designed as a protective measure to extend the lifetime of the sensitive electronics that Tesla uses.

I think there may be some truth to the idea that the electronics are more heat sensitive in a Tesla than those used in other cars. I have some experience with making computing work in harsh environments. If this is the case, a statement of such from Tesla would be nice!

• Love
Reactions: Kianaf808
Does anyone else think they have heard the cooling fan running when the climate control is off and the car isn't charging? I'm thinking the FSD/infotainment computer cools itself if the car is awake from opening the trunk or just because it randomly wakes up. It doesn't get above 30C/90F here much so I was wondering if someone in a warmer climate might have heard this, or maybe my car was just doing a wired thing one day that I"ll never understand.

FWIW, I asked once why I hear the HVAC's internal blower running at odd times, even while the car sits parked in the garage. Was advised that it sometimes runs just to blow some fresh air into the car, sort of an air purge. (This was re: the Model S, but likely applies to others as well.)