Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

overheating interior - high desert

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Any tips when needing to park entire day in high desert? Every day I need to park (due to work) in high desert. temps generally run around 85 degrees F, but in summer, around 100. It's at a mall parking lot. There are very few shaded places to park. So I'm thinking of some type of protector that shields effectively the heat / sun.

I have already an anti-reflective sun shade but it isn't doing the job.

Please recommend what works for you!

Thanks!!

Same problem in Florida. It's 92-96F for 5 months of the year. I just turn on cabin overheat protection and forget about it. I have mine set to fan-only and it seems to be enough: I don't want the compressor running but I'm fine with the fan bringing in some outside air.

Mike

While I don’t live in the high desert, I did travel there during early days of my car and it occasionally gets pretty hot here.

As far as I’m concerned, there’s minimal need for overheat protection or even any shades as long as you have good internet connectivity for the car and your mobile device. When heading to the car, activate HVAC via the app and, within just a few minutes, the interior will be cool.

That said, like with any vehicle, be very careful touching any exterior metal.

Reactions: Shelburne
Hi,

Any tips when needing to park entire day in high desert? Every day I need to park (due to work) in high desert. temps generally run around 85 degrees F, but in summer, around 100. It's at a mall parking lot. There are very few shaded places to park. So I'm thinking of some type of protector that shields effectively the heat / sun.

Thanks!!

Its going to get hot, just like every other car you would have had parking in this same situation. Other than getting window tint and a windshield sunscreen, its just going to be hot in the car.

Just set yourself a reminder on your mobile device to turn on the AC remotely about 10 minutes or so before you leave, and the car will be comfortable for you. You mention you have a windshield protector, so that the sun is not shining directly on the back of the screen all day. Those two things should be fine.

You can turn on cabin overheat protection on, fan only or with AC, but I personally wouldnt waste the electricity on it. If you do, turn on fan only, but its still likely going to get to 130 or more in the car (just like it did in every other car you might have had to park there).

The only real difference is, its likely your other cars did not have something showing you how hot it was in there, and now you do have something that does. The core thing hasnt changed, just the amount of information you have has.

Its going to get hot, just like every other car you would have had parking in this same situation. Other than getting window tint and a windshield sunscreen, its just going to be hot in the car.

Just set yourself a reminder on your mobile device to turn on the AC remotely about 10 minutes or so before you leave, and the car will be comfortable for you. You mention you have a windshield protector, so that the sun is not shining directly on the back of the screen all day. Those two things should be fine.

You can turn on cabin overheat protection on, fan only or with AC, but I personally wouldnt waste the electricity on it. If you do, turn on fan only, but its still likely going to get to 130 or more in the car (just like it did in every other car you might have had to park there).

The only real difference is, its likely your other cars did not have something showing you how hot it was in there, and now you do have something that does. The core thing hasnt changed, just the amount of information you have has.
What they said....

These help a lot. Great fit and it looks like an installed headliner. I use them in the summer. I'll probably be installing them soon.

These are in addition to a windshield shade.

Reactions: chrstna4
Hi,

Thanks!!

I assume you mean you already have a front windshield sun shade.

The glass roof makes big difference. You can get roof sunshades that have a extra reflector layer like linked below (Tesla's official ones do not). Note the 2021+ Model 3 is a different size than older versions, so make sure you get the right one for your car.
Amazon.com

Some people also do tint, including window tint (ceramic tint may help).

As others mentioned, you can also use the cabin overheat protection mode, although that may drain your battery faster.

I assume you mean you already have a front windshield sun shade.

The glass roof makes big difference. You can get roof sunshades that have a extra reflector layer like linked below (Tesla's official ones do not). Note the 2021+ Model 3 is a different size than older versions, so make sure you get the right one for your car.
Amazon.com

Some people also do tint, including window tint (ceramic tint may help).

As others mentioned, you can also use the cabin overheat protection mode, although that may drain your battery faster.

I had 3m Crystalline tint applied to all windows except the windshield, and I use a covercraft windshield screen. Both of those help quite a bit, but when its hot outside (where I live it can get up to 110 -115 during the summer heat), its just going to be hot in the car, if you cant park in the shade.

I disagree. When compared to a vehicle without a glass roof, Teslas do get extremely warm. When compared to a vehicle without even a sunroof, the difference can be at least 10-15 degrees.

Reactions: house9
Checked TeslaFi in the hottest months here and the highest temperature I see for cabin temp is 110F on a 93F day. This is with cabin overheat protection set to fan only. 93 isn't the same as 110-115F of course, so I could see it going up to 130F in the desert.

Mike

Hi,

Thanks!!
Not entirely sure I understand this.

Are you trying to get the vehicle to a "comfortable" temp?

OR....is there an issue with it getting to HOT to enable driving?

So for us living in the "Desert Southwest" throughout being stationed in New Mexico and Arizona....we live with high heat on a CONSTANT basis.

Aside from HOT cars and seats etc....it happens.

We mitigate all our cars with full tint including the front windshield cover.

None of our vehicles have the ability to "per-condition" a car for entry so I assume you could do that an hour a so before getting into it.

Since you're parking for the entire day, I'd just put a good outdoor car cover on it. It effectively puts the car in shade and eliminates the greenhouse effect that you otherwise get with the sun shining through the windows where the inside of the car can get significantly hotter than the outside. With a good car cover, the interior shouldn't get any hotter than the ambient temperature outside. This works with any car.

Tesla sells their outdoor car cover for the Model 3, although there are other cover suppliers as well.

Last edited: