Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Overloaded superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When doing a road trip, planning is paramount. This is no different than in an ICE. Trying to drive on Friday afternoon, or Sunday afternoon will always be a problem. I know traveling to/from Tahoe you never drive during those times as it is virtually gridlock on the interstate, charging not even considered. But with planning, I've never had an issue and I've traveled virtually all of the Supercharger routes in the west. Avoiding Friday's and Sunday's is the ticket, especially in the summer months.

Not sure I understand this. I've never had to plan or change any trip itinerary to get gas. Just get in the car and go. That being said when I buy the Model 3 I realize I will have to take a few minutes and plan for longer trips and I'll be fine with that. But lets not kid ourselves there will be some potential buyers who won't do that.

Probably because it's a jerk maneuver that some of us would never do, and wouldn't want to advertise.

ok but if you have been there >20 minutes then no harm regardless of the other cars initial charge state, they will be at a SOC that will only take the 30kW. it should be known that you can do that, right?

I am considerate as possible in all circumstances, this is just logical. it would upset me a tad since I log all the kW#s into my car but I can guesstimate good enough that once wouldn't matter

this is all assuming they don't/haven't change the SC or cars software where there is a 30/60 split on the 90 kW SC's . I tested this at the factory when there was a car parked and plugged in ovenight that wasn't charging, one of the test drive cars. was a little upset that at 8 pm they left one there, long ago, sort of

Last edited:
ok but if you have been there >20 minutes then no harm regardless of the other cars initial charge state, they will be at a SOC that will only take the 30kW. it should be known that you can do that, right?

I am considerate as possible in all circumstances, this is just logical. it would upset me a tad since I log all the kW#s into my car but I can guesstimate good enough that once wouldn't matter
If your recommended procedure has any effect for you, then it's a jerk maneuver.
If it has no effect, then there's no value in doing it.

I'd offer a metaphor but lately when I offer a metaphor the 15 tangents get pulled en masse to a new thread or to snippiness so it's becoming a counterproductive tactic for education / explanation.

SuperCharging is marketed as a plentiful, free-for-life thing that will fill the tank in 30 minutes. The free part is certainly true. Plentiful is not true today, and if anything will become less true over time: they are ramping up vehicle production a lot faster than SC deployments.

No they don't advertise it as "fill your tank" as has already been pointed out.

And they are building out the SC network very rapidly. Obviously Tesla knows that next year they are going to build far more cars then this year, and next year there will be many more SCs. Tesla does not want people to get frustrated during road trips.

I've done several long road trips on California using SCs and they were easy. I realize the California has more SCs than most other states, and it also has more Teslas.

We are at the very beginning of the EV revolution. Hang on...

I have been to two SC stations. Hawthorne and San Juan Capistrano. I was lucky and got the last stall in Hawthorne and did not get a place in San Juan. I left.
I was just checking the place out so I was not in dire need of electricity. However if I was I would not be too pleased. Tesla promoted the SCers heavily and stated that one
would get around 150 miles in less than an hour. (actually around 1/2 hour). Clearly this is not happening. Given that I spent over $100K on the car I am not as concerned about saving money as
I am in saving time. If Tesla can not provide the service as they promoted I would hope that they or someone else will provide SC service for a fee. Service that would come up to the promised service
that Tesla promoted. I would gladly pay $25-30 to get in and out fast with 150 miles of charge. I think that as things become more congested we will see a two tiered level of service. I expect that at least in California
the number of stalls and the capacity provided will need to double in the next year. As far as I can tell this is not happening. So it might get like the gasoline waits of the 1970's. Not too much fun.
I hope Tesla is listening.

S P85 Silver all the goodies.

The tenor of this thread made me remember that there are any number of gasoline stations in Alaska: Costco and Fred Meyer's in Anchorage, Hub of Alaska in Glennallen, among others, that are notorious for the long wait times needed to get one's fuel. 30 minutes is standard, esp on Fridays and Sundays. Are other states really so different? I'm going to bet there are lots of similar situations.

The tenor of this thread made me remember that there are any number of gasoline stations in Alaska: Costco and Fred Meyer's in Anchorage, Hub of Alaska in Glennallen, among others, that are notorious for the long wait times needed to get one's fuel. 30 minutes is standard, esp on Fridays and Sundays. Are other states really so different? I'm going to bet there are lots of similar situations.
I've never waited more than 5 minutes to obtain a pump at a gas station. So apparently yes to your states question.

My parents did but I never have.

I've never waited more than 5 minutes to obtain a pump at a gas station. So apparently yes to your states question.

My parents did but I never have.

Remember 73!

image.jpg

Los Angeles had odd and even days to buy gas based on the last digit of your plate.

Edit... This photo is from Portland however.

I've had my car for 18mo and have over 35k miles on the ODO. I've used SCs while traveling throughout Cali and out to Vegas many times

I'm one of those freaks who loves to zig when most others zag (i.e. I avoid travel during peak travel times). I hate packed freeways and as a result, I've hardly ever waited at SCs.

That being said, I firmly believe tesla doesn't want us to have long wait times during peak times and they will continue to add stalls and locations to scale up the number of SC stalls. Evidence of this includes the new stalls at Barstow and Hawthorne and Gilroy.

The Fred Meyer in Bellingham (just across the line from BC) gets like that from us Canucks since your gas and groceries are a lot cheaper (and gas is discounted even more after you buy groceries). They even have staff directing traffic at the gas pumps. I couldn't believe it when my wife first took me there in her gas guzzling BMW.

I expect that at least in California the number of stalls and the capacity provided will need to double in the next year. As far as I can tell this is not happening.

According to Tesla's website, it appears they plan to almost double the SC's by the end of the year.
CA SCs.PNG

Now

2014 CA SCs.PNG

End of 2014

Of course, they caveat these maps with asterisks about exact timing and locations, but they clearly understand the relationship of vehicles to SC.

Costco is notorious for having lines for their gas stations, especially on weekend afternoons at stores with the smaller 12 pump stations. I've never seen 30 minute waits, but 15 minute waits 4-5 cars deep per lane are typical.

Remember 73!

View attachment 55581

Los Angeles had odd and even days to buy gas based on the last digit of your plate.

Edit... This photo is from Portland however.

During high school when I lived in Hawaii in the 70's, I worked at a gas station on an army base. If you think it was bad waiting inane, it was worse enforcing the odd/even day restrictions and the restriction that nobody with over 3/4 tank of has could top off. As a 16 year old, I learned a lot of new words.

Not sure I understand this. I've never had to plan or change any trip itinerary to get gas. Just get in the car and go. That being said when I buy the Model 3 I realize I will have to take a few minutes and plan for longer trips and I'll be fine with that. But lets not kid ourselves there will be some potential buyers who won't do that.

I think his point was simply that if you drive at peak times, you will hit a lot more traffic. So, if you care about not sitting in traffic, you plan you trips, EV or ICE. An example, last week, we drove from Seattle to southern oregon. We had no choice but to leave aruond 3:30 on Thursday. it took us >3 hours to get out of the Puget Sound area - normally about 1:20. Even my wife who is is supremely calm in heavy traffic was getting really angry about it.

And, to add to the costco tales - the North Seattle Costco gas lines (actually in Shoreline but who cares) are almost always a throwback to 1973... I'm amazed how many people will subject themselves to that just to save a buck or two. Especially when they could be operating an EV that charges at home and costs 1/3 to 1/4 per mile of what they are paying for the ICE.

Anyways, we have lots of evidence that Tesla does care about wait times and does expand Supercharger locations when wait times get too long. Luckily there is lots of room at Tejon. Hopefully, they can get going quickly on the needed expansion.

I have been to two SC stations. Hawthorne and San Juan Capistrano. I was lucky and got the last stall in Hawthorne and did not get a place in San Juan. I left.
I was just checking the place out so I was not in dire need of electricity. However if I was I would not be too pleased. Tesla promoted the SCers heavily and stated that one
would get around 150 miles in less than an hour. (actually around 1/2 hour). Clearly this is not happening. Given that I spent over $100K on the car I am not as concerned about saving money as
I am in saving time. If Tesla can not provide the service as they promoted I would hope that they or someone else will provide SC service for a fee. Service that would come up to the promised service
that Tesla promoted. I would gladly pay $25-30 to get in and out fast with 150 miles of charge. I think that as things become more congested we will see a two tiered level of service. I expect that at least in California
the number of stalls and the capacity provided will need to double in the next year. As far as I can tell this is not happening. So it might get like the gasoline waits of the 1970's. Not too much fun.
I hope Tesla is listening.

S P85 Silver all the goodies.

It's not realistic to expect the number of supercharger stalls to be sized so there is no wait during the times of peak demand. No one ever promised you would always have one available the instant you wanted it. As cars are always coming and going, if you waited odds are a car would have left in the next 10 minutes and you would have been able to start charging. Think about how many minutes you would have spent at a gas station each month if you didn't have a car that charges overnight at home and starts with a full "tank" each morning. If one isn't willing to accept a minor inconvenience now and then as a tradeoff for all the advantages of a EV over ICE, perhaps a EV isn't right for you.