Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Overly Bright with the Glass Roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
image-png.173430

Anybody else think with the glass roof it's going to be overly bright inside. A lot of the time with sun roofs I keep them closed because of the bright sun hitting me in the face. From this picture it sure looks like you will not be able to escape the sun light. It will be great at night but not sure if I want to have the Houston sun shining in all the time.

Reactions: Big-T and Lunarx
I have concerns about this as well mostly for heat issues vs glare, though. Many people say they don't have heat issues in the X or S with the pano roof, but some do comment that it's noticeably hotter on their heads.

I also always leave sunroofs closed.

Supposedly the glass will have good UV coating, and I am going to trust that and get the car anyway. If it ends up being too hot I will tint it very dark and chalk it up to a lesson learned about glass roofs and hot climates.

I have concerns about this as well mostly for heat issues vs glare, though. Many people say they don't have heat issues in the X or S with the pano roof, but some do comment that it's noticeably hotter on their heads.

I also always leave sunroofs closed.

Supposedly the glass will have good UV coating, and I am going to trust that and get the car anyway. If it ends up being too hot I will tint it very dark and chalk it up to a lesson learned about glass roofs and hot climates.

I'm sure UV won't be a problem. Instead of going super dark, go with the newer tints now that have infrared rejection. I have it on my current windshield and its crystal clear.... but hold your hand under the glass on a hot day in sunny SoCal and you feel no heat.

I'd hate to order an optional $1,500 for a pano roof, only to have to tint it so black that it looks like the free metal roof.
Perhaps watch the early Pano roof owners and decide to place the order with/without based on those use patterns.
I am skeptical that I would ever enjoy that much glass. Design is snazzy, but I'd keep the sun roof closed if I had such a closure.

Not all that much different than a standard hatchback with a large sunroof.

Tesla uses heat reflective technology in their current S and X that reduces heat and glare inside their glass intensive vehicles.

Do not expect this to be a big issue in the model 3. If concerned you can always order the plain metal roof.

I'm sure UV won't be a problem. Instead of going super dark, go with the newer tints now that have infrared rejection. I have it on my current windshield and its crystal clear.... but hold your hand under the glass on a hot day in sunny SoCal and you feel no heat.

I would hope this will be true, however some Model X owners are complaining of heat issues, and if you read the forums you'll see that some are adding third-party sun shades or tinting. Bjørn Nyland reported much the same here:

He later added sun screens. For this reason, I'll probably go with the metal roof.

• Informative
Reactions: CoastalCruiser
Yeah, in SoCal there's plenty of heat through the pano as well as glare. And the accessory pano panels are useless for anything but maybe bug and bird dropping protection; they are not effective at blocking either heat or light.

I resort to wearing a baseball cap during peak hours to cut both heat and, in particular, overhead glare.

While I do have good tint on the windshield (Photosync 75) which markedly cuts glare and does reduce heat, I have not yet tinted the pano panels. It's on the list - I just keep forgetting to do it, since there's always a baseball cap in the car. May just tint the front one, since with the rest of the glass tinted, heat isn't so much a concern. There's maybe a 25-degree difference now, whereas before even in January it was 35+ degrees difference before the tint.

I was surprised at the difference here as opposed to say in the northeast, but that's what 20 degrees of latitude will do for ya.

Not all that much different than a standard hatchback with a large sunroof.

Tesla uses heat reflective technology in their current S and X that reduces heat and glare inside their glass intensive vehicles.

Do not expect this to be a big issue in the model 3. If concerned you can always order the plain metal roof.

Yes but on a sunroof on a hatch you have an option to close the sunroof.

I would hope this will be true, however some Model X owners are complaining of heat issues, and if you read the forums you'll see that some are adding third-party sun shades or tinting. Bjørn Nyland reported much the same here:

He later added sun screens. For this reason, I'll probably go with the metal roof.
Why would I read the forums about tint when that's what I'm already suggesting?

I'm not worried at all about this because physics. If Tesla applies something that blocks 97% of UV and IR waves, then that 3% increased cabin heat from the sun is not going to make or break anything.

Most tint is rated for Total Solar Energy Rejected.
Average is 50%, where high end films like PhotoSync are 60%.

For IR blocking; PhotoSync claims 80% standard and 97% (after "activation").
Not sure the "activation" spec is valid.
I have their uber expensive tint, and it seems no better than a typical Ceramic Tint. (Comparing my cars with both).
I have not seen IR ratings from any other film manufacturers.

There is no cheating the laws of nature, an all glass roof will bake you on sunny days.
It should be the best glass roof ever, but its far from a solid roof, with an insulating headliner.

• Informative
Reactions: CoastalCruiser
Except that 3% UV/IR will heat up a small enclosed space in a surprisingly effective manner.

But that 3% will be less of an effect than 100% of UV/IR passing through typical car windows in an untreated competitor car.

Unless you're driving a fully opaque, black car with zero windows then it's very possible that a Model 3 full glass roof will be less heat-prone than competitors with normal, untreated windows. A Model 3 with a solid roof will still be better than a Model 3 with a full glass roof, but if the full-glass version is still superior than everything you're used to now then what would the downside be of it?

There's of course a chance that they will screw up the Model 3 glass, not using the same solutions found in the MX/MS making me a liar. But that's unlikely as it's a solved engineering problem.

A Model 3 with a solid roof will still have an unusually big back window and windshield.

I think my smart car was a good example, as a percentage of the interior it probably had the same amount of glass as a Model 3 but it was no hotter than any other car I've driven on a hot, sunny day.

Reactions: BluestarE3
Yes convertibles are too bright, but I digress...for me I just like the sense of a solid roof over my head (whatever that means). What I care about more is that the metal roof panel is black like the windows to complete that wonderful design sweep and not body color.

"overly bright"? That's akin to "to much money"

In other words - It can not happen.

Are convertibles too bright?

No not to much money. I had a Miata as a daily driver for over 5 years in Houston, driving 90% of the time with the top down. But to me there is something different with the sun that comes through a window then sun light in a convertible. Not sure if it's glare or what, but it didn't bother me at all with the top down. But in my wife's car with a sunroof if the sun is directly coming in it I have to close it.