TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Overnight energy usage

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by kirkbauer, Sep 25, 2015.

1. kirkbauer

kirkbauer Member

This morning I pulled out a thumb drive from my MS and it was extremely hot. I guess I shouldn't be surprised since it will play through a bunch of MP3s overnight as well (even though I pause it and the car is off). I understand this to be a bug related to scheduled charging. But the hot thumb drive really illustrated how much energy it is probably wasting every night in my garage...

2. David99

David99 Active Member

I don't think it's a bug, but a feature. I believe when the car is charging the USB ports have power. I noticed because I have some devices hooked up via USB and they get charged over night when the car is charging.

3. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Until 6.X the songs stayed where they were. It's a bug--and quite an annoying one.

4. Xenius

Xenius Member

OT, but are people usually using thumb drives for music instead of streaming via bluetooth from their phone?

5. taurusking

taurusking Member

Although there is power to the USB ports still the car is not supposed to play...definitely a bug

6. jerry33

Absolutely. With thumb drives you can play lossless music--and it actually sounds good. Tesla's audio system is very much GIGO.

Also it's a pain to stream from the phone because you have to tell it to stream every time you get in the car.

7. msp85+

msp85+ Member

Do the usb ports charge when the car is off and in park or just when it's plugged in?

8. Xenius

Xenius Member

Had no idea this was the case. I'll have to test that next test drive.

9. muleferg

muleferg Member

My wife loves the thumb drive music. Our 3 vehicles have that.

10. jerry33

It's remotely possible that this is not the case now, but it was when I first got the car (2.5+ years ago) and I've never tried to use streaming from the phone once I got a thumb drive.

11. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

#11 CHG-ON, Sep 26, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
    I don't have this problem. Songs start where they left off when I shut her down. I wonder what's causing that.

- - - Updated - - -

I use both Slacker and Tune-in streaming and USB, but more streaming than USB. I don't stream from my phone due to poor quality via Bluetooth. So I can't comment on that.