Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Overnight heater use.

henderrj

Jun 16, 2014
Graham, WA, United States
So, our son was planning on taking a trip in the car and then didn't. So it was charged 100%. Didn't want to leave it that way so I unplugged it and turned on the heater. 12 hours later we had used 43 miles of range. It was below freezing in the morning probably about 40 when I parked it. In the garage of course, but still the driver side window was open, so I was heating the garage.

Just thought this might be an interesting data point for some.

henderrj

Jun 16, 2014
Graham, WA, United States
Yes, when we had an error that was originally thought to be the high voltage battery, turned out to be a Drive Unit, we didn't charge up on a trip for that very reason. My interest here was that it was very cold out during the trip, close to zero fahrenheit once. I was wondering if we get caught out there would the battery be sufficient to keep us warm.

Of course, then again if it had been the battery, we might have been Ice Cube's! The point is though, if the high voltage battery is okay, you could certainly last a few days if you happen to get caught in the cold with no way out. Hopefully enough for search and rescue to find you.

There's also the camping question. Keep your inside temperature a little lower, in milder external temperatures, no problem. Any 240 volt connection would certainly still charge the battery overnight. Even using the heater. At 120, okay you might not get any miles, but you would at least keep warm without using up miles!

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC