Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Overnight microcharges

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a long range dual motor (august 2018 delivery date) and am noticing that I’m getting a bunch of <1 minute microcharges from and to essentially the same state of charge overnight (192 miles) from a nema 14-50 charger. It has already happened twice tonight. This only started happening after the last 2 or 3 firmware updates. Is anyone else having this problem?

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
I have a long range dual motor (august 2018 delivery date) and am noticing that I’m getting a bunch of <1 minute microcharges from and to essentially the same state of charge overnight (192 miles) from a nema 14-50 charger. It has already happened twice tonight. This only started happening after the last 2 or 3 firmware updates. Is anyone else having this problem?
It's not a problem, it's functioning normally. Car used to let the battery drop a couple miles before charging it, now it just does it every mile or two. Keeps battery and 12v happy.

My antique has been doing that for yrs. U have vampire drain, it recharge it.
Always leave it plugged in

Attachments

• official.JPG
    official.JPG
    585.3 KB · Views: 133
I noticed it as well. But when I put my car on a charge time it doesn’t do that till the next day when the charge time comes around. I put my charge time at 1:30 am. You could do the same if the micro charge bothers you or you get notified on the app if you have that notification on.

Yeah, it’s not normal and if it’s real cold out it could spend 30 minutes heating for 1 mile of charge.

I turn my limit down to 50% after a charge or unplug it. PITA.

Charging after it drops a good 5% is normal. Not to charge 1 mile.

BTW the problem is every time the car wakes it starts a charge cycle if it’s any amount below set point. Just connecting with the app will trigger it. Or it sometimes triggers itself.

Last time it happened to me it wasn’t the car it was the sleep mode I had set in TeslaFi

That’s because waking it makes the problem worse. I run no apps. And it charged 3 times within 3 hours.

I just noticed it never said charge completed though. But it really is charging. See my power monitor below.

40589890663_db2fbc5d28_h_d.jpg

Damn it really is charging.

47555981101_d1af044db0_h_d.jpg

That’s because waking it makes the problem worse. I run no apps. And it charged 3 times within 3 hours.

I just noticed it never said charge completed though. But it really is charging. See my power monitor below.

40589890663_db2fbc5d28_h_d.jpg

Damn it really is charging.

47555981101_d1af044db0_h_d.jpg
Do you have completed notifications on? Each type is separate. They should work. I get completed notifications for our 3 but still never for the X (MCU 1).

No, it’s not normal. I’ve complained already. There is no reason for it to charge every 0.5% drop and wear out the contactors in the HPWC. None.

This started with 2019.5.15 or something and seems to only be MCU 2 cars as my X (MCU 1) on 8.4 hasn’t changed from its classic 3% drop needed to start charging.
By normal I meant there’s nothing wrong with the car, it’s functioning NORMALLY as in as intended. Why are you disagreeing with me over a decision Tesla made? I’m not wrong, they changed it in a software update, go disagree with them.

I actually just signed up for Teslafi yesterday because of this problem and because my average wh/mile is 328 so I’m trying to figure out if there is an issue with my battery and don’t know what the best sleep settings are. What do you have yours set to? Thanks!
TeslaFi has pretty good defaults now, so with the current setup I just enable it with defaults but don't bother with nighttime sleep.
It works really well.
Be prepared for data overload, you'll start geeking out over all the stats you can get out of it.

Yes, scheduled charging stops it because it’s not charging AT ALL until then. That’s not the point.
Yep, I've used scheduled charging since getting the car. With the earlier releases it would exhibit this odd charge even then.
Not seen it do this since last year though