TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Overnight microcharges

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Azibo Jackson, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Azibo Jackson

Azibo Jackson Member

I have a long range dual motor (august 2018 delivery date) and am noticing that I’m getting a bunch of <1 minute microcharges from and to essentially the same state of charge overnight (192 miles) from a nema 14-50 charger. It has already happened twice tonight. This only started happening after the last 2 or 3 firmware updates. Is anyone else having this problem?

• Informative x 1
  2. YusufT

YusufT Member

It's not a problem, it's functioning normally. Car used to let the battery drop a couple miles before charging it, now it just does it every mile or two. Keeps battery and 12v happy.

• Disagree x 3
    • Like x 1
  3. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

No, it’s not normal. I’ve complained already. There is no reason for it to charge every 0.5% drop and wear out the contactors in the HPWC. None.

This started with 2019.5.15 or something and seems to only be MCU 2 cars as my X (MCU 1) on 8.4 hasn’t changed from its classic 3% drop needed to start charging.

• Like x 3
    • Disagree x 3
  4. Lasttoy

Lasttoy Active Member

My antique has been doing that for yrs. U have vampire drain, it recharge it.
    Always leave it plugged in

Attached Files:

5. ngogas

ngogas Active Member

I noticed it as well. But when I put my car on a charge time it doesn’t do that till the next day when the charge time comes around. I put my charge time at 1:30 am. You could do the same if the micro charge bothers you or you get notified on the app if you have that notification on.

6. mswlogo

mswlogo Active Member

Yeah, it’s not normal and if it’s real cold out it could spend 30 minutes heating for 1 mile of charge.

I turn my limit down to 50% after a charge or unplug it. PITA.

Charging after it drops a good 5% is normal. Not to charge 1 mile.

BTW the problem is every time the car wakes it starts a charge cycle if it’s any amount below set point. Just connecting with the app will trigger it. Or it sometimes triggers itself.

7. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

Last time it happened to me it wasn’t the car it was the sleep mode I had set in TeslaFi

8. mswlogo

mswlogo Active Member

That’s because waking it makes the problem worse. I run no apps. And it charged 3 times within 3 hours.

I just noticed it never said charge completed though. But it really is charging. See my power monitor below.

[​IMG]

Damn it really is charging.

[​IMG]

9. Azibo Jackson

Azibo Jackson Member

Thanks everyone! Seems the consensus is this is probably not a good thing!

Update: mine did it 11 times last night! I will probably set the timer as suggested!

• Like x 1
  10. Azibo Jackson

Azibo Jackson Member

I actually just signed up for Teslafi yesterday because of this problem and because my average wh/mile is 328 so I’m trying to figure out if there is an issue with my battery and don’t know what the best sleep settings are. What do you have yours set to? Thanks!

11. boaterva

Nothing to do with TeslaFi. This changed at 2019.5.15. Worked fine until then. As you should know. :D

I suggest you complain to Tesla at [email protected]

Yes, scheduled charging stops it because it’s not charging AT ALL until then. That’s not the point.

• Like x 1
  12. boaterva

Do you have completed notifications on? Each type is separate. They should work. I get completed notifications for our 3 but still never for the X (MCU 1).

13. biotour

biotour Member

What app is this?

14. pmifsud

pmifsud Member

Same problem. Just sent an email to
    [email protected]
    as suggested. If anyone receives a response from Tesla Support please post here.

Thank you,

• Like x 1
  15. YusufT

YusufT Member

By normal I meant there’s nothing wrong with the car, it’s functioning NORMALLY as in as intended. Why are you disagreeing with me over a decision Tesla made? I’m not wrong, they changed it in a software update, go disagree with them.

16. timk225

timk225 Active Member

Last time I charged my battery a few days ago was the only time it did it, 3 or 4 small charges during the night, but I also had sentry mode on. I wonder if it was charging to make up for sentry mode power usage.

17. Mo City

Mo City Member

I'm surprised everyone doesn't set the timer for overnight charging. Mine is 2:30am. Sometimes I will use the app to start it early before going to bed.

This might be worth a poll.

18. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

TeslaFi has pretty good defaults now, so with the current setup I just enable it with defaults but don't bother with nighttime sleep.
    It works really well.
    Be prepared for data overload, you'll start geeking out over all the stats you can get out of it.

Yep, I've used scheduled charging since getting the car. With the earlier releases it would exhibit this odd charge even then.
    Not seen it do this since last year though

19. RB88

RB88 Member

If you mean the power monitor, he’s using Sense.

• Like x 1
  20. mspohr

mspohr Well-Known Member

I think you should worry more about the Toaster Oven.

• Funny x 3
    • Disagree x 2