Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Overnight microcharges

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, it’s not normal. I’ve complained already. There is no reason for it to charge every 0.5% drop and wear out the contactors in the HPWC. None.

This started with 2019.5.15 or something and seems to only be MCU 2 cars as my X (MCU 1) on 8.4 hasn’t changed from its classic 3% drop needed to start charging.
The contactors are rated for hundreds of thousands of cycles so I think you should find something else to worry about.
Tesla makes continuous improvements to the software based on their experience with hundreds of thousands of cars. It could be that they determined that it's better to have short duration charges rather than waiting for a larger drop in the charge.
I wouldn't worry about it. Since Tesla has an 8 year battery warranty, it's in their best interests to keep the batteries healthy.

The contactors are rated for hundreds of thousands of cycles so I think you should find something else to worry about.
Tesla makes continuous improvements to the software based on their experience with hundreds of thousands of cars. It could be that they determined that it's better to have short duration charges rather than waiting for a larger drop in the charge.
I wouldn't worry about it. Since Tesla has an 8 year battery warranty, it's in their best interests to keep the batteries healthy.

It’s an annoying bug I’m sure they will fix. Stop making silly excuses for obvious bugs.

This is not the first time this behavior has shown up after an update. Since owing a Tesla over the last 2 1/2 years I can remember this behavior appearing at least 2 other times. It would then go away after an update. This tells me that it’s a reoccurring bug and not intended behavior.

It happens to me, but only seems to be in a 6 hour window after the scheduled charging start time. During that window if my charge drops Even the slightest it tops it off again which for me works out to be about every hour. But after that 6 hour window it will let the state of charge drop multiple percentage points and not start another cycle.

If you look in the owners manual this 6 hour window is mentioned when describing how scheduled charging works. So if the car is plugged in at any point during this 6 hour window it starts charging, even if its say 4 hours past the start time. So maybe anytime the charge level drops something is telling the car that it has just been plugged in and needs to start.

Just seems odd that after 6 hours it doesn’t happen anymore for me and this is the same time period mentioned in the user manual.

Also this only happens on my Model 3 and not on a Model X I have, both are on updated software.

B395FE6B-4A28-4C41-BE7B-3B794BA565C3.jpeg

Attachments

• 6A73B5F1-3C28-4369-BE56-142826152C63.jpeg
    6A73B5F1-3C28-4369-BE56-142826152C63.jpeg
    294.3 KB · Views: 25
This is not the first time this behavior has shown up after an update.
Have had the same issue here. A few firmware’s ago I had the same issue as the OP described (there’s also a few threads about this). Would get numerous notifications of charging completed within minutes of each other. Since the past few firmware iterations I haven’t had this issue.

Same problem. Just sent an email to
[email protected]
as suggested. If anyone receives a response from Tesla Support please post here.

Thank you,
My email and response by Tesla support. Apparently micro charging is an intended feature.
Hello,

Thank you for contacting Tesla.

When leaving the vehicle plugged in the charging system will continue charging the vehicle as needed to maintain the desired charge limit. This is normal and an intended design of the vehicle.

Thank you,

| Tesla Support
| [email protected]

--------------- Original
Sent: 4/7/2019 10:39 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Tesla Model 3 frequent micro charges

Name:
Phone Number:
Vehicle: Model 3 LR Dual Motor
SW Version: 2019.8.4 530d1d3
Build date: Jan 2019.

Problem: vehicle frequently charges over night like once per hour to gain one or two kms. I’m worried there is a problem that will harm either the batteries or a component of the charging system like contacts opening and closing unnecessarily and wearing down.

Is this considered a known issue? Is the problem being worked? Can you provide a work around in the meantime? Or preferred a permanent fix?

Advise is appreciate.
Thank you

So what’s the point of scheduled charging if the car is going to run charging cycles every hour. I’m on a time of use plan with my electric provider and I don't want the car charging during certain times.

I feel like this would be fine if it happened only when you had scheduled charging off, but not when it’s on.

Also super annoying that the car has to send a notification every hour that it has completed its 1 mile charging cycle.

My email and response by Tesla support. Apparently micro charging is an intended feature.
Hello,

Thank you for contacting Tesla.

When leaving the vehicle plugged in the charging system will continue charging the vehicle as needed to maintain the desired charge limit. This is normal and an intended design of the vehicle.

Thank you,

| Tesla Support
| [email protected]

--------------- Original
Sent: 4/7/2019 10:39 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Tesla Model 3 frequent micro charges

Name:
Phone Number:
Vehicle: Model 3 LR Dual Motor
SW Version: 2019.8.4 530d1d3
Build date: Jan 2019.

Problem: vehicle frequently charges over night like once per hour to gain one or two kms. I’m worried there is a problem that will harm either the batteries or a component of the charging system like contacts opening and closing unnecessarily and wearing down.

Is this considered a known issue? Is the problem being worked? Can you provide a work around in the meantime? Or preferred a permanent fix?

Advise is appreciate.
Thank you

Funny, I just got my response and it is totally different. Haven’t tried the “fix” yet

——————
Hello,

Thank you for contacting Tesla. We apologize for the delay in response, as we are experiencing high volume at this time.

I think we may be able to clear this up with a power cycle.

To perform this power cycle, which powers down every system on your vehicle, please ensure that all of the doors and windows in your Tesla are closed in order to begin.

To begin the power off sequence, tap Controls (car icon on bottom left corner of your touchscreen), then tap Safety & Security. You will then tap the gray "Power Off" button. This power down sequence takes about 3 minutes, and while the vehicle is powering down, please do not touch any of the vehicle controls (touchscreen, steering wheel, brake/gas pedal etc.) to allow the Tesla to completely power down.

After 3 minutes, power on the vehicle by pressing the brake pedal, the touchscreen or by opening the door. The vehicle will power on as normal.

If these issues are still present, please self schedule so we can take a look and diagnose further.

So what’s the point of scheduled charging if the car is going to run charging cycles every hour. I’m on a time of use plan with my electric provider and I don't want the car charging during certain times.

I feel like this would be fine if it happened only when you had scheduled charging off, but not when it’s on.

Also super annoying that the car has to send a notification every hour that it has completed its 1 mile charging cycle.

It'll only do it for the six hour window after scheduled charging starts. If your off-peak TOU period is >= 6 hours then you should be fine.