Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Overnight Outage and Notifications

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

miimura

Aug 21, 2013
Los Altos, CA
I had my first outage since January last night. This is probably the longest I have ever gone without an outage since moving into the house in 2012. There was some discussion about outage notifications but I couldn't find the thread. The first screen shot is my iPhone lock screen.

Outage Notifications 2020-08-14.jpg

The Model 3 was charging at 20 amps starting at 12:15 and the RAV4 was charging at 24 amps starting at 1:00. Neither of the EVSE circuits are backed up. Both cars resumed charging after the grid power was restored.

Outage Chart 2020-08-14.jpg

Looks good.

We had our first outage this morning. Just a short one, less than minute. Lights did a quick flicker and that was it. App showed we were on the powerwall for 29 seconds.

PG&E says to expect more outages today with the projected 107 degrees here in the Easy Bay. Put the system in Backup-only mode to maximize Powerwall charge.

Powerwall for Planned Power Outages

My statement was how the little notification buzz doesn't wake me up at night so I had to link my Powerwall to a chime that plays in my bedroom. :)
I have my phone on Do Not Disturb during sleeping hours. I don't want it to wake me up. My house will not drain the Powerwalls to empty during an overnight outage. I will add that none of the clocks in the house were affected and brief UPS beeping didn't wake me either.

I have my phone on Do Not Disturb during sleeping hours. I don't want it to wake me up. My house will not drain the Powerwalls to empty during an overnight outage. I will add that none of the clocks in the house were affected and brief UPS beeping didn't wake me either.

For me it's more since outages here are pretty uncommon I want to wake up so I can understand what's happening. If it's a small localized outage then I can go back to sleep - if it's something more disastrous better I'm up :)

Nice they give that notification - on android (latest app version,) I did not get storm watch notifications a couple weeks back when we had one. I do have storm watch enabled, but looking at the app, in the Notifications area, the only option (which is on) is for "Power Outage". That notification works (with the caveat discussed elsewhere about there being a delay and it not always alerting on short outages.) So, my question is whether there is supposed to be another notification setting for storm watch that is not visible to me.

The other possibility is that, because my PWs were almost full, it looks like it took under 6 minutes to charge. Perhaps, similar to the short power outages not generating a notification, if the PWs are full or almost full, no alert is generated.

So, my question is whether there is supposed to be another notification setting for storm watch that is not visible to me.

If there is any other stormwatch notification setting, its not visible to me either. I only have "power outage" in the notifications under energy, just like you. I have had a couple of stormwatch activations since my powerwall install in january, but i dont remember if I got a notification or not. I "think" I did but would not swear to that.

If there is any other stormwatch notification setting, its not visible to me either. I only have "power outage" in the notifications under energy, just like you. I have had a couple of stormwatch activations since my powerwall install in january, but i dont remember if I got a notification or not. I "think" I did but would not swear to that.
Thanks. Since the alert says "...and Powerwall is now charging..." I'm guessing maybe because I was in backup-only with nearly full PWs, the alert didn't trigger, just like with short outages. However, as with short outages, I would very much still prefer a notice. In this case, I was out of town during the alert. Though I was aware of the general weather situation, I might not always be (and, as with the rolling blackouts in CA, it might not always be storms that trigger the alert.)

Same for my phone. But, ever Alexa device I have went off even though they were in sleep mode. We have at least 6 so it definitely woke me up.

Thanks. Since the alert says "...and Powerwall is now charging..." I'm guessing maybe because I was in backup-only with nearly full PWs, the alert didn't trigger, just like with short outages. However, as with short outages, I would very much still prefer a notice. In this case, I was out of town during the alert. Though I was aware of the general weather situation, I might not always be (and, as with the rolling blackouts in CA, it might not always be storms that trigger the alert.)

Correct,

I have been in stormwatch mode 3 times since install, and all three times it was because of "high winds" not because of storms (well, unless you consider it a wind storm....)

If there is any other stormwatch notification setting, its not visible to me either. I only have "power outage" in the notifications under energy, just like you. I have had a couple of stormwatch activations since my powerwall install in january, but i don't remember if I got a notification or not. I "think" I did but would not swear to that.

I have never gotten power outage notifications OR Storm watch notifications in the Tesla app. I have all the notification settings on in both the iPhone>Settings>Tesla>(Banners-persistent, badges, sounds, and notification center all ON) as well as in the Tesla app>Gear icon>Power Outages>ON. I've had 5 power outages and I never got any notifications. I've also been on Storm Watch numerous times and never received a notification. I have neighbors who say they do get notifications. Any ideas?

I have never gotten power outage notifications OR Storm watch notifications in the Tesla app. I have all the notification settings on in both the iPhone>Settings>Tesla>(Banners-persistent, badges, sounds, and notification center all ON) as well as in the Tesla app>Gear icon>Power Outages>ON. I've had 5 power outages and I never got any notifications. I've also been on Storm Watch numerous times and never received a notification. I have neighbors who say they do get notifications. Any ideas?

Nothing that you havent already done (contact tesla). The stormwatch notification in this thread seemed to be a push from tesla, and the instance in this thread is the only time I have ever seen it (once). There is no place to turn it on, and (for example) my powerwalls went into stormwatch mode sometime yesterday (dec 1st) and, no notification of stormwatch mode activating.

I get power outage notifications, if my power is out for more than 5 minutes or so, but there isnt any place to set a stormwatch notification, and that one time is the only time I remember seeing one (and there is no place in the app to turn it on).

Bumping this thread, because I am now starting to get Stormwatch Notifications, and this is new. In the past week, my powerwalls have gone into stormwatch mode twice due to high wind warnings. Both times, the powerwall went into stormwatch in charging in the middle of the night (around 3-4am). Both times, when I woke up and looked at my phone, I saw a notification on my lock screen (iPhone) that looked like this:
IMG_0708.jpg

This is new behavior, as I have never been notified of stormwatch charging before. I would normally notice it when opening my tesla app and seeing the "stormwatch" banner active on the powerwall in the tesla app.

Interestingly enough, once I unlock my phone, that notification is gone, and I cant find a way to look at it again. Unlike other notifications on my home screen it disappears even if I dont clear it. My car charging notifications from the tesla app (for example) do not disappear until I clear them, just like the rest of my notifications.

I checked the energy product notifications in the tesla app and there are no new selections there, only "power outage" is available under energy notifications, so there is no choices there, and I havent changed anything regarding that.

View attachment 576221[/QUOTE]
Nice they give that notification - on android (latest app version,) I did not get storm watch notifications a couple weeks back when we had one. I do have storm watch enabled, but looking at the app, in the Notifications area, the only option (which is on) is for "Power Outage". That notification works (with the caveat discussed elsewhere about there being a delay and it not always alerting on short outages.) So, my question is whether there is supposed to be another notification setting for storm watch that is not visible to me.

The other possibility is that, because my PWs were almost full, it looks like it took under 6 minutes to charge. Perhaps, similar to the short power outages not generating a notification, if the PWs are full or almost full, no alert is generated.

This is the first time I've gotten storm watch notifications in the 2 years since I had my PWs installed. I'd see that I was in Storm Watch mode if I went into the app, but never got notifications for them, or for power outages, though I could see them in the Outage History.

I'd been going back and forth with the Level 2 engineers at PW support for the past year about why this is happening, despite all my App and notification settings being set properly. I actually didn't know I was supposed to receive notifications, until one of my neighbors with PWs told me! It looks like they finally may have resolved it! I am hoping I get notifications for power outages, too.

On the iPhone app, there is also a toggle to set storm watch to go on as appropriate and yuo will automatically be notified if you have theTesla app notifications set up. i

As you mentioned for your Android, it's similar on an iPhone. If you click on "customize," there is a toggle that turns "Storm Watch" on and off. Not everyone likes it, but I have it on all the time. Also, you might want to set your iPhone notification banners for the app to "persistent," so they don't inadvertently clear. I prefer to clear them manually. PW tech support told me that outage history only records outages longer than 6 minutes.

Last edited: