Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Overnight Range Loss in Winter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bxr140

Nov 18, 2014
Bay Area
Sorry if this is 205...my top googlesing hits were years old threads...

Range isn't typically an issue for me and I always park in my garage, so cold weather and its effect on range hasn't crossed my radar yet. Until now. I'm going camping over New Year's in the Mojave for a few nights and overnight lows will be in the 20s. I'll be charging at Tejon the evening of the first night, camping that night and the next in Cal City (so, ~40 hours in ~25-55deg temps), then traveling to Barstow SC the third morning and ultimately on to Palm Springs. Based on conservative inputs into EVTP my S60 is going to be in the yellow for travel distances from Tejon to Barstow [through Cal City] so if I was driving straight through I wouldn't been all that concerned...but I'm not driving straight through. Imma be good and cold soaked. And my car will be too.

What have people been experiencing lately? The aforementioned threads suggest I might see tens of miles of loss over that time period, but they also implied better performance from [then] future sofware upgrades. (They were on 4.X at the time).

FWIW, there will be a number of generators there and I'll have my UMC so worst case I can get a few hours charge...but as you might imagine, the last thing you want from your redneck buddies is their help charging your EV so you can get home. Or worse: In our case, we're headed to the Ritz in Rancho Mirage for a post-camping pampering.

I'm seeing about 6 miles per 24 hours in ~30F weather. This is with FW 6.x (don't recall the exact version off hand). So long as you set your car to minimize loss by allowing it to go to sleep mode and turn off the "always on" radio feature, you should see about the same.