Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Overnight test drive of S P100D offer by Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In all seriousness I'll need to see how they resolve the launch limit issue before I move forward with any new model.

OK< that got my attention. Haven't spent a lot of time in the forum recently so I missed that one. Found the big thread. Without reading through it, what do they mean by launch mode? Do you mean if you use the launch mode where it uses the brakes and pretensions that drivetrain with torque? Or do they just mean full power launches from a stop which I do from pretty much every stop?

After driving a P85 for almost 4 years, not sure that faster than 4.2 0-60 performance is worth much for normal driving. The P85 easily outpaces other vehicles in accelerating from a stop sign/stop light or when entering a freeway - and that's without using the full acceleration of the car.

In our next car, we want more range. The 90D would add another 30 rated miles of range. A P100D would add an additional 20 miles of range, but if we really aren't interested in the 2.4 0-60 performance, doesn't seem worth the extra $40K for only 20 miles more of range.

A great Christmas present would be for Tesla to start taking orders for the 100D in the next few days, and allow us to get it under the current supercharging policy...

Reactions: Jeeps17
Here is my quick recap from 150 miles of the P100D.

The blue is awesome – yes, I know it is not unique to the P100D but I love the blue.

The car is stupid quick – My wife got dizzy from it (who normally drives our P85D and races motorcycles). The launches to 80 mph would leave the P85D multiple car lengths behind. I was shocked at how much quicker it felt.

I am lazy – why would anyone buy a Tesla without the power liftgate. It makes it much harder to load packages walking up to the car with your hands full.

A loaner P100D without the Tesla app is another convenience that I have come to need. Getting into a cold car is not cool…

The ride feels firmer than the P85D. I feel it might be the Michelins versus the Continental tires. The Michelins feel better when pushed in my favorite corners.

The car is so quick. I need to emphasize how quick. I took several people for rides, people who own very fast track cars. They were amazed.

Traction control in the rain works incredible. A car this quick in the rain is just unbelievable.

The car is quieter. It is significantly quieter inside. I am not sure why. The P100D I am testing does not have the premium sound, power liftgate or AP. At 80 it is a lot quieter.

The seats are great. They are a little stiff but are more supportive. Once they break in they will be great.

The AP is the most disappointing part of the car right now. The super high tech AP is something I really would like to experience. The AP2 hardware sounds like a game changer. I really want to test it out.

I think the P100D is motorcycle superbike quick. I love it.

I wonder what a model X P100D would be like. A little slower but higher – maybe a better commuter due to the better visibility.

+1 @ mkspeedr. Had my overnight test drive on the 26/27th. The traction control is amazing in the rain, no dry roads for my test drive. I also noticed it was quieter than my my P85. Took several other people for test drives that had ridden in my P85. All were impressed with how much quicker the P100D was.

Last edited: